Q6

NHY 581

Although the Q6 was designed for slower heavy haulage I have seen them running on Bonus Trains. The quicker the load got to its destination the more bonus was paid to the crew. The sight of a Q6 running fast on the passenger line through Thornaby station is stuck in my memory for ever!

They were also used on long distance freights up to Edinburgh (there is film out there of them rattling along the ECML in the late 40s)...they don't half have a 'gait' about them when they get going...apparently the NB crews didn't seem to be as enthusiastic and dubbed them 'belly crawlers'...

A/box

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine is on order from young Dan in Coleford  :mail:  Unfeasibly excited :senile: Need to swap stuff round on the layout, it'll look odd amongst copper capped stuff and hydraulics that are currently clogging the layout up  :scratchhead: 

Arrived safely today, with a reassuring "tested" slip from Dan. Surprisingly good courier experience from Interlink. Cracking model, had an hour trundling round l/e at first, then v slowly and smoothly with a rake of 16T minerals.

• RMweb Premium

Ultimate courier service, my Q6 and that of a friend on the other side of Durham City, delivered in person by Mick from Durham Trains Of Stanley. Now that's what I call impressive. Usual disclaimer, no involvement with the trader other than being a very happy customer.

Regards,

John

As an aside to David's excellent post 344 and the Q6 and 28XX being 'freight only' locos,the 28 was in fact occasionally pressed into service on holiday extras such as Cardiff-Portsmouth trains,at least during the 1950's,to cope with the strain on motive power.

Something the NER pure mineral types couldn't do as they were built without train brakes.

J21 was more of a mixed traffic type, as were the 4-6-0s of all varieties.  SOME J25s had train brakes (including most notably the one loaned to the GWR during WW2 that found its way onto ECS at Paddington), but J26, J27 and Q6 never did.

Les

My Q6 arrived today from 'Rails', a BR early crest model. Ran sweetly straight from the box, looks superb and has a nice satin finish, but it'll be going for a heavy weathering, along with a Heljan 'Tango' 2-8-0 02/4, very shortly.

Well done Hornby for producing a superb model..... my only other comment about it, would be that the tender is a little on the light side, 'feels' like it would benefit with a little additional weight.

Its also interesting, having both these models, to compare the shade of the loco cab numbering, but that won't be important after the 'grime' has been applied.....  I'm well happy having two more, quality, heavy freight loco's, to run on my shed layout.

20160623_172919_zpst2pcb7ff.jpg

joe

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Regarding the weight of the tender, I have increased the weight of mine with the use of some liquid lead. It now's runs more assuredly, and if the engine is carefully lifted off the rails the tender pick ups maintain a constant supply of electricity to the motor. Just as it should be.

A lovely model.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Something the NER pure mineral types couldn't do as they were built without train brakes.

J21 was more of a mixed traffic type, as were the 4-6-0s of all varieties.  SOME J25s had train brakes (including most notably the one loaned to the GWR during WW2 that found its way onto ECS at Paddington), but J26, J27 and Q6 never did.

Les

The Q7s got vacuum later in there lives,not Sure exactly when possibly early 50s

I received my version from TMC (63395) on Tuesday - ordered Sunday evening. On Wednesday I fitted it with a Zimo MX648R and 28mm speaker loaded with John Gymer's (YouChoos) sound project. I believe this is the only current Q6 sound project that is available - I like it!!

As to the tender weighting - I have to agree that it seemed a bit light out of the box, so I've added another 60 gms using self adhesive car wheel weights and its now a lot more stable.

Guest Q663368

I received my version from TMC (63395) on Tuesday - ordered Sunday evening. On Wednesday I fitted it with a Zimo MX648R and 28mm speaker loaded with John Gymer's (YouChoos) sound project. I believe this is the only current Q6 sound project that is available - I like it!!

As to the tender weighting - I have to agree that it seemed a bit light out of the box, so I've added another 60 gms using self adhesive car wheel weights and its now a lot more stable.

I installed John's Q6 sound in my two DJH Q6's last year and they sound spectacular. I await the Hornby ones and will install them in those too. Highly recommended. You will not be disappointed.

I had fitted a YouChoos Zimo chip to a DJH Q6 earlier this year and was so pleased with it that I got round to thinking about my DJH Q7. 

Through a fellow club member who has close connections with YouChoos, we asked John if he would rework the Q6 sound project as a 3-cylinder version and I now have a sound fitted Q7.

Now I fully understand that this may not exactly reproduce the sound of a Q7 due to cylinder size differences etc., but it gives me an 'as near as dammit' version of the Q7 that sounds pretty awesome. 

Hornby's latest Engine Shed has advised that the first batch of the late livery Q6 will be air freighted next week and that a second batch of the other liveries should arrive in August, presumably the second batches are coming by sea.

• Like 3

On 25/06/2016 at 11:42, Gilloverland said:

Just be careful when handling the loco, I've lost one of the little fittings from the boiler (filler plug or mud-hole cover?) so a call to Hornby on monday :-(

Mines well and truly glued in but nice to know that they are separate components.

Dunno if anybody will find these pics useful. Not criticisms, just observations.

post-508-0-43084500-1466868790.jpg

Hornby provide a generous overhang to the running plate at the front so it should be easy for anyone to add a sandwich draw-bar from plasticard once the rivets have been removed from the original. Buffer housings were a simple pull out on mine.

The Line of Horizontal rivets under the smokebox saddle have been omitted but as this area is almost constant shadow they can rarely seen. Easy to sort should you desire.

The Handrail radius (where ringed) looks far to sharp. All my prototype pics show a very gentle curve. Bending this handrail radius is one of those jobs I always find difficult. I might have a go at easing it but I'm rather glad I've got loads of 0.3 mm wire in stock. This pic might explain better what I'm on about.

8665468774_8cff97a5a1_k.jpgRailways - Q6 63365 at Ferryhill by Roger Smith, on Flickr

post-508-0-66344600-1466868784.jpg

The Cab reduced to it's component parts. It should be quite easy to carve away the post preservation plumbing and extra gauges once the backhead is out. Adding the Breadbin/Fish Fryer surround to the firehole shouldn't be too taxing.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Guest Q663368

Mines well and truly glued in but nice to know that they are separate components.

Dunno if anybody will find these pics useful. Not criticisms, just observations.

attachicon.gifHornby-Q6-Front-Detail.jpg

Hornby provide a generous overhang to the running plate at the front so it should be easy for anyone to add a sandwich draw-bar from plasticard once the rivets have been removed from the original. Buffer housings were a simple pull out on mine.

The Line of Horizontal rivets under the smokebox saddle have been omitted but as this area is almost constant shadow they can rarely seen. Easy to sort should you desire.

The Handrail radius (where ringed) looks far to sharp. All my prototype pics show a very gentle curve. Bending this handrail radius is one of those jobs I always find difficult. I might have a go at easing it but I'm rather glad I've got loads of 0.3 mm wire in stock. This pic might explain better what I'm on about.

8664365749_e3a18b5f20_b.jpgRailways - Q6 63365 at Ferryhill by Roger Smith, on Flickr

attachicon.gifHornby-Q6-CabCompsEdit.jpg

The Cab reduced to it's component parts. It should be quite easy to carve away the post preservation plumbing and extra gauges once the backhead is out. Adding the Breadbin/Fish Fryer surround to the firehole shouldn't be too taxing.

P

I will watch your progress with much interest. Are you doing 63343 ?.

Guest Q663368

Probably 63344 during it's last couple of months.

Good choice and many thanks for the response. My fleet will centre around Thornaby, Newport and Middlesbrough allocated loco's which worked the Guisborough and Whitby branches during the late 50's, early 60's.

Kindest regards.

That's some promising news on cab dismantling! Please do show us how you get on. I'm still trawling Yeadon to decide which machine mine will become, the 50A boiler dating it somewhat for LNER liveried locos pre-war!

Full investigation will continue after my holiday though!

Cheers

J

That's some promising news on cab dismantling! Please do show us how you get on. I'm still trawling Yeadon to decide which machine mine will become, the 50A boiler dating it somewhat for LNER liveried locos pre-war!

Full investigation will continue after my holiday though!

Cheers

J

Dia 50a Boilers were fitted to Eleven Q6's prior to 1940.

Number Year 

1294 1939

1311 1938

2216 1938

2217 1939

2218 1938

2223 1939

2237 1939

2259 1938

2265 1938

2272 1938

2279 1938

Info from Yeadon',s, the book has only one of those Locos in a photo in pre war period 2265 with a  Short Curved Rail Tender, to my eyes no base to Safety Valves , Curved (to my eyes) ? Smokebox Door .

A number had the 50A boiler fitted during and after the war in LNER days , some never had them fitted until 1958 .

Edited by micklner

Mine was taken out of its box today and given a run on my incomplete layout in front of a few hoppers.  I am firmly non DCC but the loco ran beautifully straight out of the box.  I post a picture below but more can be found here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89435-hawthorn-town-mk-2-working-title/page-31 (post #756)

post-1115-0-80401800-1467043029_thumb.jpg

Well up to Hornby's high recent standards in my view.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8