Q6

NHY 581

I succumbed and bought an LNER one from Arcadia. Tim was doing them for the same price as Hattons, and had just taken delivery of the late crest version. A lovely model, and runs straight out of the box but won't pull as many wagons as Bachmann's G2A 0-8-0 locomotive. I had to remove 15 or so from the rake to get it to stop slipping. Still very pleased with this model.

Hornby have really upped their game of late. The last half a dozen locomotives I've bought have all been Hornby. A far cry from a few years ago when I was buying almost exclusively Bachmann offerings.

Very interesting  re  the  Hornby vs  Bachmann  a  couple  of  years  or  so ago  the majority  of my  00 purchases  were Bachmann, but  now  nearly  all recent purchases  have  been  Hornby that  includes  Locos &   Rolling  stock  the only  recent  Bachmann Purchases were  a  4 CEP and that  was  a brand  new item  from eBay shop  for  £89  and  a clearance MLV  from  Hattons.

I  had  2 Hornby Class 71s on Saturday ( Hattons  price!) from  TIM (Arcadia) I spoke to Tim today Monday and  he said  he  had  sold  quite a few over  the weekend!

I must  admit   to being  very  attracted to  the  Q6,  did they  ever  get  onto  SR  Metals  ....I wonder:::::::?

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the same boat as Jenny Emily. For those with an LNER/ER bent, in the 1990s and into the 2000s it was Bachmann, with the likes of V1/3, J39, O4 and K3, and Thompson coaches. I think their last eastern models are their vent vans (which are superb) and the D11. But Hornby has turned to the east side of the country with some aplomb, with their B1, B17, O1, L1, K1, J15, D16/3 and J50 - a superb series of locomotives. Not to mention their Gresley corridor coaches ..... and Gresley and Thompson non-corridor coaches.

This is an astonishing range. And now we have the Q6. No wonder we east side modellers are buying Hornby! - I hope in sufficient quantity to justify their investment.

John

Edited by it's-er

• RMweb Premium

The weathering, great though it is, has brought out a kink in the footplate. I hope that this is not a common problem on the plastic footplate. Such a shame if it is a problem, like on the K1. The model is so good otherwise.

Regards,

Rob.

With luck it'll be the lubricator drive that's to blame and amenable to adjustment.

Yeah they did. Especially when you needed a hand pulling the skin off your rice pudding...  :onthequiet:

Get yourself one! 

Hi  David

I will consider  it!!!!!

Just   had  a  look  at  your  photographs,, very  nice  indeed....................anyone  reading  this  take  a  few  minutes  out  and  click  on the  link on David's post above,,,very inspirational!

Hi  David

I will consider  it!!!!!

Just   had  a  look  at  your  photographs,, very  nice  indeed....................anyone  reading  this  take  a  few  minutes  out  and  click  on the  link on David's post above,,,very inspirational!

Thanks!  :friends:

... won't pull as many wagons as Bachmann's G2A 0-8-0 locomotive. I had to remove 15 or so from the rake to get it to stop slipping...

Might want to give it time to get the tyres well polished, and then reassess. Although Hornby's product has been less susceptible to this than Bachmann's I consistently find some improvement in traction over the first few hours of running time. The other big factor with Hornby is the maximum drag tender wheel bearing and pick up arrangement, a real thief of traction and 'unseen' in that the loco cannot run without the tender. A shorting plug for the wired connection is a useful item to assess this.

... Hornby have really upped their game of late. The last half a dozen locomotives I've bought have all been Hornby. A far cry from a few years ago when I was buying almost exclusively Bachmann offerings...

All those lovely coaches too, Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed? Feather, down, knocked, with. 

It might have been smarter for Hornby as a business to have had this idea of producing the right (side) stuff immediately after the new A3 and A4 had been released circa 2004, and averaged a steady one a year? And likewise for the other groups and BR; a steady stream of 'something for everyone' added to the range annually. Not that I am remotely complaining, especially about the more recent choices of secondary / less glamorous types as their model subjects, once such a key differentiator of Bachmann's catalogue. (I'd have named Bach as way the most likely to offer the S15 if asked just a couple of years ago, and we know that the J15 had been an intended addition to their range.)

• RMweb Gold

I've recently received the Q6 I ordered from The Model Centre, with their heavy weathering. They've done a fantastic job, and I am delighted with the subtlety of the weathering. I've been playing around with the camera on my ipad, which allows the lens to be put very close to the ground, trying to catch a lineside shot of 63443 idling in summer sunshine.

Lovely photos but surely only a diesel 'idles' whilst a steam loco 'simmers'?

I've recently received the Q6 I ordered from The Model Centre, with their heavy weathering. They've done a fantastic job, and I am delighted with the subtlety of the weathering. I've been playing around with the camera on my ipad, which allows the lens to be put very close to the ground, trying to catch a lineside shot of 63443 idling in summer sunshine.

I like the weathering, your pics do it justice too. One slight point though, steam locos simmer rather than idle.

Maybe because Hornby used official drawings rather than relying on scan data. That's how it was originally envisaged when using original Bell Bros. asbestos matting. Or did they misinterpret the drawings? It doesn't seem to be there on Dia. 50 boilers in works photographic grey images.

attachicon.gifQ6-SafetyValvesDetail-BoilerClothing.jpg

See this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105494-q6/page-13&do=findComment&comment=2342779

P

So out of interest, Porcy, was the Cape asbestos plant at Bowburn originally set up by Bell Bros? Or did they have asbestos works across the North East? I'm now intrigued.

(Apologies for going OT)

Mark

So out of interest, Porcy, was the Cape asbestos plant at Bowburn originally set up by Bell Bros? Or did they have asbestos works across the North East? I'm now intrigued.

Tenuous, but the last of the Q6's would have ran right past the west loading bays of the Asbestos factory when it was first built.

An intriguing and convoluted tale it is.

Bell Bros were long gone by the time "The Cape" was built but did Bell Bros have a business connection with them? Technically no. Historically (but probably no longer financially) definitely yes.

Bell Bros sank the 1906 colliery, the first sod for the 1906 shaft probably being cut by Gerty Bell before she became a spy for the Government, infatuated with Aircraftsman Shaw (and everybody thought he was gay), mountaineering (There are mountains named after her in Switzerland and Canada) and helping to formulate the creation of Iraq.

This shaft is not the much earlier shaft (1830's) that is at the bottom of your garden. That was Mr Quelches sinking in which he failed spectacularly but he didn't suffer greatly, as he went on to become the Mineral traffic manager for the N.E.R.

IIsaac Lowthian Bell (his dad along with Archie Dundonald, had experimented with iron smelting at Bells Close near to Lemington, West of Newcastle in the 1700's) along with Dundee born but Gateshead based cable and rope entrepreneur, Bobby Newall married two of Hugh Lee Pattinsons daughters. So who was Hugh Lee Pattinson. He took the first known photograph of the Niagara Falls from the Canadian side This was in the 1840s but he was there looking at mining and quarrying. Just so happens that in Canada along with the South African Cape, "The Empire" possessed what were then, two of the world's largest areas for the winning of Asbestos minerals

The upshot of all of this was the establishment of the Washington Chemical Company and it's many off shoots in the UK, the Cape & Canada. Bells United Asbestos Co., Turner & Newall, United Asbestos Co, and Everite; are to name but a few of the many companies linked by a common family thread. It becomes very complex and in some cases purposefully so to avoid litigation. Just Google the individual places of, Armley,Rochdale, or Hebdon Bridge along with the word Asbestos and you'll see what I mean.

In the early nineteenth century, the upper echelons of the then infant Asbestos industry were fully aware that those involved in the extraction of the raw mineral had historically a very short life expectancy due to respiratory problems. In the UK in 1902 asbestos was listed as a harmful substance but it continued to be marketed as a wonder product right up to the 1970s.

At Bowburn, the irony in all this is an asbestos factory was built in the late 1960's to provide work for redundant miners following the closure of the local colliery that was originally sunk by a family that was involved in the scientific development, marketing and sale of asbestos products that they knew was and always had been highly dangerous.

Bowburn was a Bell Brothers village. Reading between the lines(pun fully intentional) on this page:

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Isaac_Lowthian_Bell

you will appreciate why the colliery streets are called, Walker, Wylam and Clarence. Mr G may be so kind as to explain why one of the streets is called Steavenson Street but to get back on railway topic Mr  Steavenson did patent a fireproof/incombustible rail key (as in chair) to minimise theft. Rail keys being made of oak and slow burning kept being stolen and burnt by striking miners as means of keeping their families warm.

It's been a while since I visited the place. Must get back up there to check on the changes.

An upside of all this asbestos manufacturing was that Turner & Newall had some splendid industrial locos at Washington and Manchester. Here are two of the Trafford Park locos.

4907738561_d9b6219cff_b.jpgHawthorn Leslie 2780 Turners Asbstos trafford Park ASBESTOS 28 Nov 1964 by Charlie Verrall, on Flickr

4907738543_fd3c59d33b_b.jpgHawthorn Leslie 2645 Turners Asbestos Trafford Park TURNALL 28 Nov 1964 by Charlie Verrall, on Flickr

Turner & Newall also partnered BR in the development of the Presflo.

Apologies for the off topic ramble so finally I'll bring myself back on track. I've been tinkering with the backhead. Glazed the sight glass. If I can find any time to myself, jobs for the rest of the day are remove the preservation plumbing and fit individual pipe work, BP gauge and wheels.

post-508-0-07619500-1467738176.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5

It had to happen.

If my five foot North Eastern shunting plank can have a Beattie Well Tank then it has got to have a Q6.  Just as well I deliberately made the headshunt JUST long enough to take a K1, the Q6 has a wheelbase just a couple of millimetres shorter.

post-13358-0-15661000-1467757301_thumb.jpg

Oddly enough at the moment the Beattie is one of the most reliable shunters for the screens (together with a pair of very disreputable Hornby J94s).

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 5

Todays the day.

Having collected a parcel but been busy with work, today the two Q6s on order finally slipped their packaging and got placed on the workbench.

It’s marvellous to see the NER Raven designed machine actually in person, actually made in RTR and perhaps so satisfying to be actually mine! I love the pair of machines I have. Hornby have done a smashing job on being able to mould and design the model to really capture the essence of the NER machine.

The model really does display a gorgeous sense of proportion really capturing the NER standardised look of the face of the engine, the cab and boiler. Each different type of tender looks really well done, although the more elaborate type to include the coal rails is modelled and looks gorgeous. Im sure that the engine will be able to haul trains on my layout no problem. It’s not as long in terms of continuous track length or have issues like gradients which will cause concern. There is a slight wobble on the running plate, but it’s not too obvious compared with other recent engines so is not really noticeable unless you’re up close and specifically looking for it.

Both of mine will be getting treatment to alter their guise. Namely one will be 63395 with the rails, the other 63398 a regular 51F machine. I know the former doesn’t have the right tender at present, but it will mean a simple swap if one is done with it in the future. I would think I’m not the only one who wants to see NELPGs workhorse modelled accurately.

I also have to admit a sense of satisfaction in seeing the models done in person. I know I have bored some to tears on the case of wanting the Q6, lobbying and putting the case forward often with gusto. Fact is that someone out there obviously was listening and although they took on board comments I and many others made, Hornby have delivered, while Bachmann have been remarkably patient and diplomatic when responding to questions on the issue especially when a few years ago it seemed obvious that Q6 would be part of their range. DJM also gave the idea support showing the region is strong and the prototype choice advocated was sound. I thank all for their efforts, patience and conviction.

Hornby however, need to be congratulated on heeding the call and making the model so accurate, but so well. Not by using the design clever policy, but by designing the model in a clever way. It has excellent detail and proves that actually its Hornby now making the workhorses and engines that people really want. It follows from the diesel industrial, from engines like K1 and J15. Will we now see Hornby match their big passenger engines with a few of the black freight machines. If the GE area is to be noticed, then it seems likely that Hornby will move to the NER area – and have modelled the two most popular areas in terms of engines that regularly have the most engines in wish lists done over the last few years. The Q6 looks great and is proving really popular. Hopefully sales like this and choices like this will keep Hornby in the Black, much like engines I’d like to see follow – such as B16, J21, G5.

Will add pictures soon.

• Like 9

Many thanks for the info, Porcy :)

Regarding the Q6 - whilst it's no use to me for the Scarborough & Whitby line :( , a good friend of mine has obtained at least one, if not more, and I'm looking forward to seeing it/them when I return home from my present deployment. From the photos I've seen, the model looks superb :)

Mark

Well although its an excellent model, Hornby's service department is frankly, rubbish.

I emailed them over a week ago asking for replacement detail parts which weren't glued properly to the boiler, (they look like some sort of wash-out plug / mudhole cover and I've lost two of them). The reply I got was:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding to you.

We now have a spares section on the Hornby web site, please see the link supplied- xxx

If the parts you have requested are not on the site we have a network of Service Dealers across the UK that can supply spares if they are available. These can be viewed online at xxx

Spares can also be obtained by mail order from:

- AC Models on 02380 610100 or via email at info@acmodelseastleigh.co.uk
- East Kent Models on 07854 094640
- Peters Spares on 01642 909794 or via email at sales@petersspares.com

All spares are subject to availability.

Kind Regards,

Which seems like they haven't even read my email about the specific parts I want.

I'm reluctant to return the model to the retailer as I've fitted scale couplings etc so I guess my final option would be to ask here if anyone knows a supplier that makes those parts in either brass or white metal?

Many thanks for the info, Porcy :)

Regarding the Q6 - whilst it's no use to me for the Scarborough & Whitby line :( , a good friend of mine has obtained at least one, if not more, and I'm looking forward to seeing it/them when I return home from my present deployment. From the photos I've seen, the model looks superb :)

Mark

I bet Q6s were seen on the Scarborough and Whitby line if you have a few beers... 

I bet Q6s were seen on the Scarborough and Whitby line if you have a few beers... 

Despite what some people are saying, Thornaby Q6's definitely were regulars on the Whitby pick up along with Class 37's and Class 40's. There are some stills of Q6's at Whitby in this vid. Ignore the Q6 working the 21 tonners past Stanley.

P

• Like 6

Yes, I've seen photos of a few Q6 workings on the Whitby pickups, but not via the coast lines - either of them :( . Thanks for the video link, Porcy - will have to watch that when I get home. (Can't view it here on board ship...)

Mark