Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2023 at 11:07, cornelius said:

My understanding is that the production run is now fully sold by the producer - retailers may still have some hanging about.

Our kit is still in production - and the compensated frame kit for the Oxford model. We also still have the etched Yorkshire/BTH/AEI plates.

Judith and Michael Edge

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Our kit is still in production - and the compensated frame kit for the Oxford model. We also still have the etched Yorkshire/BTH/AEI plates.

Judith and Michael Edge

Do those plates come as a single set ?  I need enough for two locos. Will drop you an order.

Ah !! The Judith Edge Janus kit.  Askingfor my mate, are there any possibilities of the 7mm kit please Michael ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes the plates come as a set, I'm not sure how many we have but there are some (somewhere) - £3 a set + £2 postage.

7mm Janus is on the way, I've built this one from the test etch without many problems.

189290082_21-08Janus32.jpg.0623fa6cde3837b4a6c04c20931b52b1.jpg

Warren Haywood has this now for painting in all over wasp stripe.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes the plates come as a set, I'm not sure how many we have but there are some (somewhere) - £3 a set + £2 postage.

7mm Janus is on the way, I've built this one from the test etch without many problems.

189290082_21-08Janus32.jpg.0623fa6cde3837b4a6c04c20931b52b1.jpg

Warren Haywood has this now for painting in all over wasp stripe.

That looks lovely - but the livery is surely going to be a challenge for Warren if those handrails are all soldered in position......🤔?!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

That looks lovely - but the livery is surely going to be a challenge for Warren if those handrails are all soldered in position......🤔?!

He can remove the engine casings from the platform by undoing a few screws - nearly all our kits are assembled like this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve been looking for spares for the Janus, put mine on the track for the first time a few weeks back and it had a traction motor flashover, something, I assume the capacitor on the blanking plate, glowed bright enough to see through the body shell then went pop!

Burning smell from the motor so I gave it a go with a different blanking plate but nothing so I assume the motor has burned out on it but I can’t find a source of spares to get a replacement, might have to measure it and see if I can find a generic motor to fit 

Check out tramfabriek. He does one to fit and works very well 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

He can remove the engine casings from the platform by undoing a few screws - nearly all our kits are assembled like this.

Looking very good Michael. Glad to see janus models going strong! Hope to see some more appear , hopefully in our scunthorpe livery ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not the way Mike designs his kits I wouldn't imagine.

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Many apologies, I should have guessed.....

Looking forward to seeing the result - will you post a pic Mike, should be quite an eyeful 😎!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Disappointed to have missed out on the 50 quid sales of these a couple/few years ago - getting very into industrial shunters and would be willing to take a punt and play around at that price!

Ebay shows 80 quid starting for most second hand now. There's a retailer with some new kicking around, at the same price.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Disappointed to have missed out on the 50 quid sales of these a couple/few years ago - getting very into industrial shunters and would be willing to take a punt and play around at that price!

Ebay shows 80 quid starting for most second hand now. There's a retailer with some new kicking around, at the same price.

I would just keep watching eBay. Most second hand auction ones were going for around the £50 to £60 mark when I sold a couple recently.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2024 at 14:50, Nova Scotian said:

There's a retailer with some new kicking around, at the same price.

80 quid for a decent loco seems a fair price these days!

I see HMC and KGR still have a few variants available at around this mark:

https://kgrmodels.com/product/gv2012-oxford-rail-golden-valley-oo-janus-0-6-0-diesel-ncb-blue/

https://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=832_833_842_1062_1061

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, tractionman said:

https://kgrmodels.com/product/gv2012-oxford-rail-golden-valley-oo-janus-0-6-0-diesel-ncb-blue/

https://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=832_833_842_1062_1061

It's a lot to pay for spares though!, which have been unobtainable since day 1.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, tractionman said:

Yep, had specifically been looking at HMC for the PLA one. One thing I appreciate about HMC is they don't jack the prices retroactively - you pay the RRP of that model from the year it was launched.

Disappointing re. spares, given Oxford Rail involvement. I'm assuming these weren't a runaway success given the deals they end up doing on these - but maybe more from over production than lack of popularity?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Disappointing re. spares, given Oxford Rail involvement. I'm assuming these weren't a runaway success given the deals they end up doing on these - but maybe more from over production than lack of popularity?

Poor business model IMHO, spares are factored in at the beginning of the run, Ford don't not make spares in case the car doesn't sell.

Mike.

• Like 1