Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• 1 month later...
Guest teacupteacup

Hattons sale BP Janus arrived with me today, tested briefly, ran absolutely fine straight from the box, pity it has to go away until xmas.... lovely model and a great price prime for a repaint

Cheers

James

Thats exactly what Im doing!

Guest teacupteacup

Ooo that is lovely and 70s! Could do a nice vinyl roof as well haha

Hahaha, that would be different.  Would have to a brown one though...

Hi, I'm on my second Janus (the first just wouldn't hardly run on DC or DCC) and this one is not much better. I've already tried four different decoders without much improvement. I'm looking for the best small decoder I can install to get this loco to run without kangaroo behaviour.

Ray

Hi, I'm on my second Janus (the first just wouldn't hardly run on DC or DCC) and this one is not much better. I've already tried four different decoders without much improvement. I'm looking for the best small decoder I can install to get this loco to run without kangaroo behaviour.

Ray

Remove the interference suppression capacitor if you have not already - its  not needed if a decoder is fitted and can seriously affect performance aka kangarooing.

• 2 weeks later...

hi ray we used the zimo £20 mx600r chip. fiited well if a little tight but runs fine

Ray

Edited by gpplumy
  • Like 1

Having repainted my Janus, filled in the buffer beams and fitted 3 link couplings, I had no layout to run it on ( it needs converting to P4) I took the opportunity of running the loco on Paul Marshall Potters new layout Shelfie 2 a week ago, and it really looked the part. The layout is based on a Northumberland colliery branch but will form part of a new Forest of Dean layout. Photo taken by Paul Marshall Potter.post-20690-0-38317800-1548190861_thumb.jpeg

I shall now be buying one of the Judith Edge chassis kit.

David

• Like 11

I don't know where the half etch lines have gone, they are clearly visible on the drawing but as Gordon says they aren't on the etch! If anyone does want to build this in 00 gauge then the S4 spacers need to be cut down by 2mm on each side. We are also going to include a pair of moulded headlights (the ones fitted on the end handrails on many locos) with this etch.

Price is £18 + £1.50 postage.

Hi Michael,

Sorry for what may be a daft question, but presumably if using this chassis etch for EM, we use the original wheels, motor, pick-ups etc from the model? Are these available to purchase or is it an advance order?

Richie

Edited by Richie Kynaston

• RMweb Premium

No idea about that, this is the frame from our Janus kit, it's fully compensated and we suggest Gibson wheels and High Level gearbox. It might fit round the existing frame block but that wasn't the idea in the first place. We have the frame kits in stock at £18 + £1.50 postage, etched Yorkshire plates are £3.

No idea about that, this is the frame from our Janus kit, it's fully compensated and we suggest Gibson wheels and High Level gearbox. It might fit round the existing frame block but that wasn't the idea in the first place. We have the frame kits in stock at £18 + £1.50 postage, etched Yorkshire plates are £3.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for that - sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick somewhere, reading through the thread, it sounded like this was an option for those purchasing the OR/GVM Janus and wanting to regauge it to EM?

Cheers

Richie

• RMweb Gold

Did BR trial one of these? I always thought they only had "Taurus", an 0-8-0?

Stewart

They trialled a version of the Janus in the late 60’s but wasn’t accepted, so it was regauged and sent to Spain. It’s now residing in the railway museum in Madrid.

• 5 months later...