Revolution Trains - OO - TEA Tanker

Gerald Henriksen

I am sure the Revolution Trains guys will be along at some point to provide more info, but because it has already been posted elsewhere with an unintended implication that it is a Rapido product here is the link to the official Revolution Trains website:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/00-tea-tank-wagon-project/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So now that things are settling down a bit after Warley I can give a few more details.

We announced the possibility of the N gauge tanks at the end of March 2015 and 8 months later at Warley we had the first painted samples.  As others previously mentioned we had done all the research so it seemed foolish not to scale it up to 4mm.  There are still a few errors to iron out but we are very pleased with the progress and the reaction at Warley seemed to be very positive.

We propose to offer the same options in 4mm that we offered in 2mm ie same choice of liveries and tank variants. We will offer a combination of single and triple packs subject to their being enough interest to make production minimums.

VTG red:

Single wagon: VTG 88115

TEA-VTG-red.jpg

Triple pack: VTG 88127, VTG 88133, VTG 88142

TEA-VTG-red-triple-1024x74.jpg

VTG grey:

Single wagon: VTG 88157

TEA-VTG-grey.jpg

Triple pack: VTG 88159, VTG 88163, VTG 88172

TEA-VTG-grey-triple.jpg

VTG blue:

Single wagon: VTG 88143

TEA-VTG-blue.jpg

VTG enviro-message blue - the VTG triple pack features three wagons bearing different environmental messages on the sides.

Triple pack: 8370 7792 001-0, 8370 7792 035-8, 8370 7792 043-2

TEA-VTG-enviro-triple-1024x74.jpg

Freightliner Green:

Single wagon: FLHH 871001

TEA-Freightliner.jpg

DB Schenker EWS grey:

Single wagon: EWS 870200

TEA-EWS-1024x221.jpg

Triple pack: EWS 870214, EWS 870289, EWS 870311

TEA-EWS-triple-1024x74.jpg

Greenergy blue / green - the Greenergy wagons are in two distinct liveries – either blue or green – in the proportions 2:1 so our pack will contain two differently numbered wagons in blue and the third in green:

Triple pack: 8370 7792 001-0, 8370 7792 019-2, 8370 7792 007-7

TEA-Greenergy-triple-1024x74.jpg

The real wagons run across large parts of the UK.

TEA_map.jpg

At this stage we estimate that the tanks will cost in the region of £35-40 each (though the more people order the cheaper we can get them for).  As with the N gauge wagons we will take expressions of interest and if we reach our target of 2000-2500 (we are well above that in N gauge so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem in 4mm) then we will start design and production. At this stage we don't want any money (or even commitments) just indications on our website that there is interest.  If we reach the level of interest we require then we will start the design work and open an order book.  Once the design is complete and tooling is in progress we will set a deadline for orders and produce what has been ordered.

More details: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/

Expressions of interest: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/00-tea-tank-wagon-project/

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 1

I think I posted in an inapproriate thread, so I shall ask again here: I see you're repeating the good idea you had in N of triple packs. Are you also going to repeat the other good idea of providing number transfers with the single wagons?

Another question which occurs to me: are they going to have sprung buffers? They help a lot when fitting the shortest possible Kadees in order to achieve close coupling.

• RMweb Gold

Are you also going to repeat the other good idea of providing number transfers with the single wagons?

Another question which occurs to me: are they going to have sprung buffers? They help a lot when fitting the shortest possible Kadees in order to achieve close coupling.

Hi there,

Yes, I certainly anticipate ensuring TOPS panels transfers are available with all numbersets for the full fleet, but I suspect these will be an aftermarket item as no modeller in theory would need more than a single sheet.

I am not sure about sprung buffers - and I guess Rapido don't know much about them either since North American stock tends to be buffer-free.  We would welcome feedback on this, but if customers demand it then we will specify it.  I know nothing about the expectations of 4mm modellers, though I know Rapido have a very well versed consultant to help with this.

In terms of other detailing, and trying to provide information without labouring the point, the N Gauge models have numerous prototype specific details such as the bifurcated discharge nozzles and yaw dampers for the EWS/Freightliner vs single nozzles and no dampers on the VTG versions, variations in the catwalks and manlid arrangements and different versions of the brake gear. 

These of course will also feature in the OO models, but there are some other detail nuances we are hoping to incorporate in 4mm that were not practicable in N.  And, clearly, some details will just be better defined purely because of the physical difference in size.

There are photos of the first painted N-gauge samples on our website to give you a taster.

But what I want to emphasise is the importance - to use US electoral parlance - of "getting the vote out" and encouraging 4mm modellers to sign up for these if you think they'd like them.  I don't really have much knowledge of, or contacts in, this world so far more than N we are relying on 4mm enthusiasts themselves to spread the word.

And of course, the sooner we gather together requisite numbers the sooner work can begin.  In N we got to our minimum threshold within a fortnight (possibly less) and between March and November sourced the drawings, completed the CAD work and received plain and now painted samples.  Given much of the basic research work has been done, there is no reason we cannot at least match that in 4mm even though the CADs will probably require more work to reflect that. 

And there are some questions - like that over sprung buffers - that are yet to be answered.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Having had my hands on the N version on Friday night, I was almost tempted to start modelling in N, but then Mike told me that they were due to be announced in 4mm.

Phew..............

Expression of interest duly registered.

As for sprung buffers - not bothered.

I hope that you receive sufficient interest with the project.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Look's a very interesting project, I've seen the Greenenergy working several times, have submitted my interest and the triple packs sound a good idea, even better if there were variants of the triple pack, would they be sold as solo items as well like the 'n' gauge one's

Something different to run behind all the GB 66's I have...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/8928809938/in/photolist-eB1u7W-eePRb2

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin

Some of the liveries are being offered in solo as well as triple packs (exactly the same as the N gauge tank wagons). The Greenergy ones typically run in ratios 2 blue to 1 green (though that picture you have linked to shows it is not exact!) so will only be available in the triple packs.

Whether we could do more than one set of numbers really boils down to how much interest there is in them ie the more interest there is the more likely that we could add number variants.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Martin,

In the linked photo there are 22 wagons in the rake and while the colours towards the rear are a little indistinct there are at least 6 or 7 green ones in the train, which is not far off the 2:1 ratio. I have been looking at consists as I want to put a selection of prototypical ones on our website and while yes, the ratio isn't always exact and the wagons are mixed up a bit it's still pretty close.

cheers

Ben A.

I am not sure about sprung buffers - and I guess Rapido don't know much about them either since North American stock tends to be buffer-free.  We would welcome feedback on this, but if customers demand it then we will specify it.

Spring buffers would indeed be very welcome. :yes:

Hi Ben & Mike,

I'm really pleased to see the 4mm model being proposed and have noted interest in 6 as the red/grey ones are now appearing on Dalston workings. Sprung buffers are not too important as they probably add to the cost and if compared to Bachmann stock which all have fixed buffers anyway means a finer metal product can be made.

Hopefully everyone notes interest and these become a reality.

All the best

Mark

Hi there Martin,

In the linked photo there are 22 wagons in the rake and while the colours towards the rear are a little indistinct there are at least 6 or 7 green ones in the train, which is not far off the 2:1 ratio. I have been looking at consists as I want to put a selection of prototypical ones on our website and while yes, the ratio isn't always exact and the wagons are mixed up a bit it's still pretty close.

cheers

Ben A.

That was my piccie from Flickr, the working runs through Worcester so I've seen it quite a few times, although it's the same rake it does seem to mix up a bit, on this occassion there are 16 Blue and 6 Green.

But I'm not too worried about the mix as I've seen them being swapped about, I will probably have to buy enough to make sure I can mix them up in a rake of ten !!

Let's hope the project moves to the next stage. 

Cheers

Martin

Edited by martin_l_jones

I've stuck in an expression of interest in half a dozen, based on putting aside enough to pay for them at £40 each. I anticipate amending that upwards as funds become available but I have a television licence to pay. All those overpaid reporters, you understand. :)  It's an appetising project and I hope it comes off.

This is great news, I have always wanted a model of these wagons ever since I first saw them behind a 60:

MU5C7741s.jpg

You can just about make them out at the end of the train, nice and clean they were too!

Whilst they do not fit in with my current project, it would be rude not to have a few of them!

Thanks for planning to release them in 00, if they are half as good as the N version then you will have lots of happy customers.

So looking forward to these now, but may have to rethink which ones I want after coming across some great photos in the LOCO-HAULED YEARBOOK 2006   

Page 68 47703 in Fragonset livery past Canton with red VTG ones, page 69 92005 with EWS ones & page 85 47818 in ONE livery with blue & grey ones.

Although these look rather tasty, they're way outside my time frame. Nevertheless, I hope you get enough interest to make it worthwhile and they are a success for you because I might be much more interested in the next model!

• RMweb Gold

A few improvements made since the 2mm version - mostly bits that we physically couldn't tool in 2mm but can in 4mm :-)

OO-VTG-TEA-Type-1a-1024x321.jpg

Please don't forget to register your interest (if you haven't yet!) on our website at: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/00-tea-tank-wagon-project/

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...