Revolution Trains - OO - TEA Tanker

Gerald Henriksen

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

At the moment the buffers are moulded as shown.  Fitting sprung buffers would be a challenge due to the open nature of the rear of the bufferbeam as can be seen in the exploded drawing of that section below.

post-420-0-24981600-1457705483_thumb.jpg

Fitting sprung buffers would require us to compromise the accuracy of the rear of the bufferbeam, and would add not just pennies but pounds to the cost.  We felt on balance customers would prefer to do without them.  How strongly do people feel about this?  We are certainly open to feedback.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I take the points about compromising accuracy and adding to the cost. Nevertheless, I would still rather have them for the reason I’ve stated, especially because there doesn’t seem to be a close-coupling mechanism; granted the latter would be easier to model on a coach than on the gaunt underframe of a bogie tank wagon. It would be interesting to know roughly how many pounds a wagon would be added to the cost.

I have a hunch that I am in a minority. However, one way or the other, I still intend to order the same number of wagons and I can console myself with the thought, “Oh well, think how much I’ve saved!”

Now that these are going ahead, may I stick a pennyworth in about the logo? No doubt when you started Revolution Trains, you had no thought of doing anything other than N scale. For 00, could I suggest putting the “N” in the same font as the letter preceeding it and extending the red bar underneath it? The “00” in red in a prominent black square either close by or each element in a different corner of the box top and sides.

“00” please, not “OO”.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Bachmann said recently that adding sprung buffers can increase the cost by as much as £15 by the time the model reaches the UK.  Our cost would not be that high, since the price direct from us does not include a retailer mark-up, but I suspect would send a £40 wagon towards £48-50.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Please don't add sprung buffers if they add that sort of cost (20-25%!). While nice to have, my personal view is that they are not essential and I'd rather buy five non sprung buffer fitted wagons for a rake than four with sprung buffers... Just my opinion!

• Like 1

Hi there,

At the moment the buffers are moulded as shown.  Fitting sprung buffers would be a challenge due to the open nature of the rear of the bufferbeam as can be seen in the exploded drawing of that section below.

attachicon.gifASSEM_VTG TEA Type 1a - 4.jpg

Fitting sprung buffers would require us to compromise the accuracy of the rear of the bufferbeam, and would add not just pennies but pounds to the cost.  We felt on balance customers would prefer to do without them.  How strongly do people feel about this?  We are certainly open to feedback.

cheers

Ben A.

I'd be perfectly happy without sprung buffers (particularly if they would add nearly £10 to the price).

Ed

Brilliant news that the TEA is to go into production. I for one have no need to have spring buffers, I am surprised by new tooled models still featuring them as they have no practical use and just add considerable cost to the model (along with coach lighting). These can be cared for in the after sales market, though I would prefer in an ideal world for the saving on things like spring buffers (£15) and coach lighting (£~60) to see that money saved on 'gimmicks' spent on extra fine detailing. But seeing the TEAs from yourselves have extra fine detailing, I am very excited by this project and shall order as soon as you allow me too. (Shall have Greenenergy, VTG Grey/Red and Freightliner for sure)

I found this on the Revolutions website, certainly has helped me choose Colas and GBRf flows of TEAs: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/TEA-sample-consists.pdf

Question? Shall you have a retailer as with the N gauge TEAs to allow purchase after delivery, or would you recommend I make an investment in a range of TEAs, with ones I do not want myself I release to the second hand market? (Guess depends on understanding the Rapido policy more to work out investment potential - do they mean there shall only ever be one batch run of the TEAs, or seeing as the tooling is made, future batches are to be released?)

• RMweb Gold

Hello 159220,

The retailers who have ordered our TEA tankers in N are C&M models of Carlisle and Colletts of Exmouth. Their price is £30 per wagon, compared to the £26 per model that those who ordered before the deadline paid.

I don't know whether either retailer will be ordering OO tankers though of course they are welcome to; it's up to you whether you'd rather order early (for the early bird price), just before the main deadline (for the standard price) or wait and buy later from retailers (at the standard price plus whatever mark up they feel appropriate.)

Cheers

Ben A.

Really glad these are going ahead. I'm certainly interested in a healthy rake of these...! 21 to be precise.

I'm not fussed about sprung buffers or factory weathering. Leaves things open a little that way then to do a little 'modelling' if you so wish.

Cheers

I for one have no need to have spring buffers... I would prefer in an ideal world for the saving on things like spring buffers and to see that money saved on 'gimmicks' spent on extra fine detailing.

I would hardly categorize sprung buffers as being a "gimmick".  They are a feature of the prototype.  I like them.  Just my viewpoint.  :)

Edited by darkjunglemung
  • Like 1

I would hardly categorize sprung buffers as being a "gimmick".  They are a feature of the prototype.  I like them.  Just my viewpoint.  :)

I agree with that but I’d go further. For example, Hornby’s non-gangwayed Thompson coaches were not as well produced as the Gresleys and the “close couplers” did not close couple. I keep a small stock of Kadee fishtails in all four lengths in order to achieve the closest coupling which does not cause derailments. Using Kadees, these coaches are now very close coupled but it wouldn’t work if the buffers were not sprung.

Perhaps I should add that I don’t get buffer lock because the curves on my layout are gentle.

• Like 1

Hello 159220,

The retailers who have ordered our TEA tankers in N are C&M models of Carlisle and Colletts of Exmouth. Their price is £30 per wagon, compared to the £26 per model that those who ordered before the deadline paid.

I don't know whether either retailer will be ordering OO tankers though of course they are welcome to; it's up to you whether you'd rather order early (for the early bird price), just before the main deadline (for the standard price) or wait and buy later from retailers (at the standard price plus whatever mark up they feel appropriate.)

Cheers

Ben A.

Thank you. I certainly look forward to hearing of the early bird order price as I have been checking your website daily ready to order. I see myself ordering what I want, 2 x of the 3 Greenenergy for a GBRf run and 1 x of the 3 Grey and 1 Red for Colas. Though currently a Class 60 run, I see the 56s do occasionally do this run - which is convenient - I have a Hornby 56 in Colas!

Question. I am planning on modelling the Freightliner as per your PDF guide to Ipswich which means only 1 wagon....are the Freightliners used more frequently?

Next wagon, say a log wagon for Colas in OO?

Hi Mick

We are finalising the design of the 4mm tank and it will go on sale soon (within the next few days/week) though there will be plenty of time for people to place orders.

Cheers, Mike

Is there any more information on when they will go on sale as it is over a week since this post was put up?

• RMweb Gold

Hi sc2016,

The models will be available to pre-order very soon, and the early bird rate will be available for a while.

Just for clarity, the models themselves will be produced to order, and you will be able to order right up until we clear the models for production, which judging by our experience with the N gauge one will probably be sometime around September. Of course by then the early bird price will no longer be in force and you would pay the standard price.

They will only "go on sale" in the traditional sense if retailers choose to come in and buy to resell with their margin, as has happened with the N Gauge ones, or people put them on eBay.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Well done to Revolution Trains for going ahead with this.

Order page is up and running.

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/tea-bogie-fuel-tank-wagon-4mm/

Will have a word with the lads at the club before we pre-order.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

That’s my order in. Full whack charged at once. Helpfully, the wagon numbers are given. May I ask if it’s still your intention to provide transfers to vary the numbers?

Hello ND,

Good question.  TBH it depends on take up.  If sales stack up as we anticipate then yes.

I would certainly like to, and TBH cannot see that we wouldn't given the level of interest expressed before.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

Hello ND,

Good question.  TBH it depends on take up.  If sales stack up as we anticipate then yes.

I would certainly like to, and TBH cannot see that we wouldn't given the level of interest expressed before.

cheers

Ben A.

Thank you. I hope it happens. To my mind it was one of the important selling points.

Nothing to do now but sit back and hope that you’re not mauled to death by an affectionate Brazilian penguin. At least, not until I get my wagons!

Sorry, I did start looking through the n-gauge thread but too many pages, easier to ask!

This sounds very interesting about transfers for more numbers, I am interested in a few of the triple packs and more than one Freightliner. But if different numbers.

How would the transfers work, as in:

- How would the factory tampo running numbers be removed? I am a fan of modelstrip paste over the trusty old wooden stick.

- Would running numbers be included in the packs, or available additionally?

- Would advice on varnish finnish be given as I do like to make my decals 'sink' into the model and not appear glossy

Many thanks!

Shall certainly order before June for the early bird, but just need to confirm finances to purchase.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 159220,

The decals will comprise a black TOPS panel with white lettering, so they will obliterate the "old" number underneath, so no need to remove anything.

They will probably be rub down as then there is no problem with carrier film or cutting out, and varnishing is unnecessary unless you are very worried about damaging them.

Also, they will only cover the main TOPS panel.  There are tiny wagon repeater numbers on top next to the catwalk (6 per wagon!) but I don't think it's worth doing these, especially as anyone keen enough to renumber the models is also likely to be the kind of modeller who will want to weather them anyway.

But as I say, they will only happen if we feel there is enough of a market.

cheers

Ben A.

I am keen to renumber my wagons and I like the sound of the way this is going to be achieved – it seems straightforward. My thanks to 159220 for asking the question. Weathering? I recoil in horror at the thought. In my little world everything is ex-works. The real world would be the same if we had the money and cared enough.

Go on, Ben, it is going to be done, isn’t it? My order went in on that assumption.