A couple of spare hours this afternoon so a start made on one of the two S15 boilers needed for the edge of the yard area. This is simply plastic tube with 10thou plastic wrapped around for the smoke box and fire box areas. I need to order a new set of archers rivet decals to add a bit more relief to it before painting. 

attachicon.gifCU0J9288.jpg

attachicon.gifCU0J2034.jpg

Cheers, 

Tom. 

Are you sure you'll only need one pack of transfers?!  :jester:

Seriously though, that's impressive stuff there again Tom. Please tell me you're exhibiting next year, I'd love to see this layout in the flesh.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's heady, measured and very fine modelling - a credit to the scale and Tom, and a superb example of what is achievable in N.

G.

Although not a 2mm modeller I wholeheartedly agree with both Andy and Grahame, Tom's work is excellent, an interesting subject choice, consistently well executed. I also had the pleasure of seeing this in the flesh a while back and it continues to get better and better.  Keep it up Tom I look forward to seeing it again soon. It does just show that modelling of all kinds can be inspirational even when not your own preferred scale etc.  

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo the above comments...as a 30 year volunteer and driver on the Mid Hants I can vouch for the fact that Tom has captured it perfectly. The attention to detail is what makes it for me, well done.

Just one gripe, we're a scruffy lot in the loco dept, dirty boiler suits are usually the order of the day in the loco yard unless we either have shunting or an extra keen visitor, pristine hi vis and hard hats are like the proverbial hens' teeth!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

snip

From my experience of their Volvos, the 'Rail N Scale' range is exquisite but tends towards the retro end of the market! See http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rail-n-scale?section=1%3A148&s=0#more-products I do like their Citroen 2CVs in 'parked' and 'cornering' poses.. with the front wheels printed at a jaunty angle....

The drawback with these models is the need to glaze them which is tricky, but far from impossible. I managed a half decent job on one of these Maestros http://www.shapeways.com/product/65CTVZZ2J/nam01-1-148-austin-maestro?optionId=42373118 with a surplus window 'prism' from an old N gauge car, but more by luck than judgement.

Another option is this shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/madaboutcars?li=pb&section=1%2F148&s=0#more-products (with a huge range helpfully categorised by scale) which has much more up to date vehicles, and a useful mix of the usual muscle cars alongside more mundane contraptions. The drawbacks here are the solid windows (not strictly a problem if you decorate them all in a consistent fashion)and the relatively high price, which is a problem when you have to purchase the cars two by two. This gives you a weird 'Noahs Ark' of a carpark but that could be remedied with some swapping with fellow modellers (I have 'swops' ready if you were interested....).

Thanks for those links Will, the last one in particular has some useful UK outline modern cars so I may well have to get some of those printed. It is a shame they only do pairs, but I'm sure some swap arrangement can be reached ;)

Are you sure you'll only need one pack of transfers?!  :jester:

Seriously though, that's impressive stuff there again Tom. Please tell me you're exhibiting next year, I'd love to see this layout in the flesh.

Actually I did order two packs the other day, just to be on the safe side! It may be that the rivets are only applied to the visible side of the boiler, otherwise it will likely be the most expensive item of scenery on the layout!

Having placed it on the layout and lived with it a few days I've reached the conclusion that for an S15 boiler it's a bit on the weedy side, so a beefed up Mk.2 version is now in the works. The original will be kept as a 'nondescript boiler of uncertain origin' for use elsewhere on the layout.

Ropley is booked for Uckfield in October next year, but that is probably the only show it will do before 2018.

Although not a 2mm modeller I wholeheartedly agree with both Andy and Grahame, Tom's work is excellent, an interesting subject choice, consistently well executed. I also had the pleasure of seeing this in the flesh a while back and it continues to get better and better.  Keep it up Tom I look forward to seeing it again soon. It does just show that modelling of all kinds can be inspirational even when not your own preferred scale etc.  

Thanks Graham. One of the aims of the layout is to try and show that you can do detail in N Gauge without having to make the jump to full blown 2mmFS.

I can only echo the above comments...as a 30 year volunteer and driver on the Mid Hants I can vouch for the fact that Tom has captured it perfectly. The attention to detail is what makes it for me, well done.

Just one gripe, we're a scruffy lot in the loco dept, dirty boiler suits are usually the order of the day in the loco yard unless we either have shunting or an extra keen visitor, pristine hi vis and hard hats are like the proverbial hens' teeth!

Thanks Phil. Coming from someone so intimately familiar with the real location it really validates the effort put in to trying to get it right.

The figures are purely what I had laying around at the time, so they will be replaced with suitably weathered boiler suits eventually!

Cheers,

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Jeremy, useful view of the yard, which looks pretty busy. I don't think my version will ever be that full, it would hide all the scenery!

That view also shows the ground signal which controls access to the main from the yard. My version will need some creative thinking to make it operational as the point motor for the set of points to it's left sits right under it, something I didn't consider during the planning phase  :huh:

Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Re: the transparent roof gubbins, glad they are useful, do you need any more?

Hi Will.

I think what you send will be more than enough. The roof lights are relatively small so shouldn't take up a great deal of material. 

I've been giving my eyes a rest from rivets, and have made up the posts supporting what looks to be a transformer on the Southern edge of the yard. This is brass tube and L section soldered together for strength, being very close to the front of the layout it's likely to be in the direct line of fire of wayward hands & fingers! A few areas to tidy up and paint but pleased with how it has turned out.

post-1467-0-25047300-1485036425_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-42333700-1485036452_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the lighting in the photos, the post is so close to the edge of the layout that the facing side of it is in shadow from the facia lighting. The room lighting isn't strong enough to compensate so there is a spot lamp pointed at it in the photos. 

The insulators are Sommerfeldt items. I thought I had a few left over from the WCML project I started a few years back and had to abandon, but as usual when you think you have something they were nowhere to be found! No doubt they will appear shortly having now ordered an extra set. They do claim the prize for most out of proportion packaging relative to the size of the item of anything ordered for the layout to date though! 

post-1467-0-39592600-1485037669_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Jeremy. 

Managed to get a better photo this morning in Natural light.

post-1467-0-38040500-1485090183_thumb.jpg

The Sommerfeldt insulators are a little over scale but I think they give a better appearance than just using plain rodding. 

Tom. 

• Like 2

Hi

Fantastic work your scenery is lovely and I liked the tutorial for the yard groundwork.  I have not seen the blogs but I became fascinated after seen the photo in the tail pages of MRJ and am happy that I have located it on here.  Keep up the great work if you have not gone nuts over all those rivets.

All the best
Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom looking good you had any thoughts on how to tackle to coal digger I can't think of any tried a scratch build and failed any ideas

Chris

Thanks Chris. I have been collecting images of the same type of loader (A Matbro Teleram) with a view to scratch building one. There is nothing even remotely like it available in N Gauge, so I think scratch build or 3D print are the only two realistic options. The only issue I have the moment is finding suitable wheels! 

Hi

Fantastic work your scenery is lovely and I liked the tutorial for the yard groundwork.  I have not seen the blogs but I became fascinated after seen the photo in the tail pages of MRJ and am happy that I have located it on here.  Keep up the great work if you have not gone nuts over all those rivets.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. There will hopefully be a full article in MRJ at some point in the future. I'm in the process of putting some words together at the moment, but I'd like to have made a little more progress on the layout first. 

I have been working on the area around the stored boilers again recently, mainly ground work but also stating to add a few details based on photos taken at the real location. Some of the details will be a bit 'freelance', but as things move around there so often I don't think that will be a problem! The sleeper stacks for the boilers are based on photos so should be reasonably accurate. 

post-1467-0-77809700-1485471036_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-69485800-1485471058_thumb.jpg

The corrugated shed, which appears to be used to store broken down pallets, is the first of several small buildings extending to the left along the layout edge. It's made up from Evergreen N Gauge car siding sheet, and is a reasonable representation of corrugated sheet. The rusty sheets of metal are simply 10thou plastic sprayed with Railmatch sleeper grime and then dusted with Humbrol 'Rust' weathering powder whilst still sligtly tacky. 

The yard is awash with small details like this, which is fortunate as I enjoy making this type of thing!

Cheers, 

Tom. 

• Like 7