Expo EM 2016

Blue Max

• RMweb Gold

Well, Brassmasters will be there - the main reason why I'm going!

So will Wizard/MSE/Comet.

Thanks, yes I'd spotted Brassmaster. According their various websites, there'll also be Penbits, Modelu, Dart Castings and Eileen's.

Does anyone know about Alan Gibson, High Level and SEF?

The full list of traders that have been confirmed for ExpoEM are:-

ABS Models

Alan Gibson

Ambis Engineering

Bill Hudson Transport Books

Branchlines

Brassmasters

C&L Finescale

Cambrian Models

Cooper Craft

Coastal DCC

David Geen Model Railway Kits

Dart Castings Monty’s Models and MJT

Eileen's Emporium

GW Models

Hedgerow Scenics

High Level

Hobby Holidays

Isinglass Models

Kernow Model Rail Centre

London Road Models

Mega Points Controllers

Mike King (Southern drawings)

Model Railway Developments

Modelu

Mousa Models

Penbits Model Railways

Prickley Pear Products

Radley Models

Roger Carpenter Photographs

Roxey Mouldings

Rumney Models

South Eastern Finecast

Steam Age

Wealistic Models

Wild Swan Books Ltd

Wizard Models

We're still awaiting confirmation from two other traders, and will post on here when or if they confirm, for full details of ExpoEM have a look at the website www.emgs.org

Well, Brassmasters will be there - the main reason why I'm going!

So will Wizard/MSE/Comet.

When you bear in mind the ease on on-line ordering it's always a surprise to hear a view like this expressed. Personally, very personally, I prefer on-line ordering because it means that I don't have to bend over a table to find the goods I want. With my painfully stiff back this is a great advantage, but it does lessen the virtues of society shows like EXPO EM which, as a policy, reduce the number of layouts in order to pack in more traders.

Regards

When you bear in mind the ease on on-line ordering it's always a surprise to hear a view like this expressed. ....

I'm picking up a kit or two from Brassmasters, and prefer to do that face-to-face. Once that's done, I'll have a tool around the show then go home.

Roundabout the turn of the millennium, I used to be quite keen about doing ExpoEM Bletchley. Hell, I even joined the EMGS for a couple of years in that mad period when I also joined the 2mmSA (don't ask; it seemed a good idea at the time). Then Expo moved to Bracknell and the keenness died.

I wonder what the fuel consumption figure for Bracknell will turn out to be.

When you bear in mind the ease on on-line ordering it's always a surprise to hear a view like this expressed. Personally, very personally, I prefer on-line ordering because it means that I don't have to bend over a table to find the goods I want. With my painfully stiff back this is a great advantage, but it does lessen the virtues of society shows like EXPO EM which, as a policy, reduce the number of layouts in order to pack in more traders.

Regards

You also have to bear in mind a number of traders don't have much or any web presence, even in these days of everything being on the Internet. So some of the traders listed are welcome sights on the list as they're otherwise only contactable by mail order/phone, which I personally hate. Much prefer to see what I'm getting properly, which not every website of every trader manages sadly, some sites are woeful in their design.

I'm looking forward to the show after last year being the first time I'd attended, it is a fair drive down from Coventry, but was very worthwhile, I also know to remember to get cash out *before* getting there as it was a bit of a trek to find a cashpoint last year (not a fault of the show, but my lack of forward thinking). I'll be hoping to grab a few more diagrams from Mike King for projects I've planned.

• RMweb Gold

Regards

True, but around a third of the traders listed above don't have a website with full online sales facilities. Four of them have no web presence at all from what I can tell. The "ease of on-line ordering" is somewhat dimished in these cases.

And I've not even mentioned Cooper Craft.

Then Expo moved to Bracknell and the keenness died.

Oddly just the opposite for me ;) although visited Bletchley a number of times it was a long way to nowhere place now its a short journey to an equally nowhere place :D

It is fast looking as if this will be the only show on my calendar for 2016 as I'm already out of town for Railex and very likely Scale4um , other clashes with the likes of weddings (of all things at my age!). So really looking forward to Expo to get my "fix".

One of the advantages of buying at shows rather than the internet (Reading O gauge in December is pure trade) is the chance to discuss the latest happenings with the proprietors. It is also easier to keep boxes hidden in the car rather than those that bring a postman knocking at the door asking for a signature. These seem to arrive with cries from the background "is that yet another thing for you?, what have you bought now, not another kit, who is that from, where is mine!!!" as if it was some peculiar society invite or if it was some illicit love letter from a secret dilettante. :P

And I've not even mentioned Cooper Craft.

Yes you did!

But don't worry he has only agreed to go to the show not necessarily sell anything you re looking for.

• RMweb Premium

I've been travelling up from the edge of the world for at least 9 years now plus visits to Railex and Scaleforum, as it gives me a chance to view new commodities, that I didn't know that I needed too buy. It also gives me a chance too see some top line trainsets, that don't often venture down to the Westcountry.

Sadly this year I shan't get the chance too get to Scaleforum, as I will be on a plane home from Canada.

• RMweb Premium

It's also worth remembering that Traders pay to be at an exhibition, which helps make the very existence of the exhibition more viable.  Whereas, often, the club has to cover the expenses of those exhibiting layouts etc.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to online ordering I usually prefer to buy things in person where possible or practical. If a trader has a decent online store and won't be at a show I'll be going to for several months I'll order online but I prefer things not being quite as faceless where possible. Having the online option too gives the best of both worlds.

• RMweb Gold

Must remember to see David Geen. Missed out on his new Siphon underframe kits last time out.

Thanks for the reminder. If I'd been depending on his website for information about these, I'd still be blissfully ignorant...

Thanks for the reminder. If I'd been depending on his website for information about these, I'd still be blissfully ignorant...

Thing is, apparently the kits were available at the last show I attended, but I remember the sign on the stand suggested not.

• RMweb Gold

Thing is, apparently the kits were available at the last show I attended, but I remember the sign on the stand suggested not.

Ah, the "if you can't work out how to buy this item, you're obviously not competent enough to use it" approach to retail, once beloved of many now-defunct bookshops. 

• 1 month later...

I like ExpoEM. The quality of the layouts is usually very high and things tend to run better than they do at Scaleforums. It's a pity that Bracknell is a grotty new town, but from South Wales, it is relatively easy to get to (never end a sentence with a preposition?).

I like ExpoEM. The quality of the layouts is usually very high and things tend to run better than they do at Scaleforums. It's a pity that Bracknell is a grotty new town, but from South Wales, it is relatively easy to get to (never end a sentence with a preposition?).

Even more of a pity for those of us who were born there before it became a grotty new town!! I was a regular attender at Bletchley, and other venues before that, when I lived there, and in the local area, but have only managed to get to Expo EM at Bracknell once. I doubt if I'll make it this year either.

Quite content for it to stay in Bracknell. Couldn't get that much nearer and hope to get there for an hour or so this year. Always a good show though, even when it was in Bletchley. Bracknell is undergoing a refurb in the town centre - one day it will be better, meanwhile traffic is a bit chaotic.

Archived