drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

If those last two comments had been made about one of the more vocal manufacturers on rmweb, people would be up in arms, but because it's 'faceless' Hornby, it's fair game?

I'm specifically thinking of the vitriol against people who legitimately commented about the Dapol 73 livery problems or the errors on the FTG SPA.

I don't think Hornby can be singled out as D&E unfriendly (although I agree, they make their fair share of mistakes!).

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 2

If those last two comments had been made about one of the more vocal manufacturers on rmweb, people would be up in arms, but because it's 'faceless' Hornby, it's fair game?

I'm specifically thinking of the vitriol against people who legitimately commented about the Dapol 73 livery problems or the errors on the FTG SPA.

I don't think Hornby can be singled out as D&E unfriendly (although I agree, they make their fair share of mistakes!).

Guy

When I buy a model of a buffet coach I expect to get a buffet coach not a buffet coach body with a TS roof and a TGS interior, maybe I am expecting too much!

Its a diesel loco made by Hornby, you are lucky it has got the right body on it.

Odd...my Class 60 did have something that looked like a Class 60 on it. Infact all of them looked like Class 60s.

And all my Class 67's had something that looked like a Class 67's body one it!

Hmmm... Immature comment hype?

When I buy a model of a buffet coach I expect to get a buffet coach not a buffet coach body with a TS roof and a TGS interior, maybe I am expecting too much!

Yes, since you were so sure about Hornby making Class 56's with a body of a Class 60 and bogies of a Class 50 and chassis of a Class 67 but called it a Class 56, then yes you are!

Guy

when they have continual livery problems and detail mistakes is it any wonder? Look at the recent 50026 model in NSE livery - a model with an RRP of £170 shouldn't have questions about the colours used for a prototype within the last 30 years for which there is plenty of reference photographs. Perhaps they looked at photos with different degrees of fading - there can be differences between ex-works and in traffic fading - but the colours should match up and the grey is too light for the blue and red they used. Admittedly its better than the previous attempt, but at £170!!!

and what about the buffet coaches missing the roof vent toolings ... ah just chuck them out ... some mugs will pay £35 for them!

what about the buffet coaches missing the roof vent toolings ... ah just chuck them out ... some mugs will pay £35 for them!

Which is the point I was making, which was obviously lost on our Hornby fan who seems to think Hornby can do no wrong!

Hmmm... Immature comment hype?

Yes, since you were so sure about Hornby making Class 56's with a body of a Class 60 and bogies of a Class 50 and chassis of a Class 67 but called it a Class 56, then yes you are!

Please point to where I said about a 56 having all those different parts on, and you go on about me making immature comments!

• 9 months later...

Historically, other than "bauxite" and grey wagons, liveries have changed fairly regularly on UK locomotives and stock (even the mainstream blue / grey era only lasted about 14 years - 1967 to 1981) Now, with open access and privatisation, many liveries have had very short lives indeed - thinking of National Power 59's and Jarvis 56's, Waterman Railways, Fragonset, etc.

I expect in a few years, Drax will decide they need a fresh new livery on their biomass wagons, hopefully leading to a re-run of the Hornby models at a more realistic price....  

• RMweb Premium

Give it time, unsold stock is not money in the bank !

Yes but did they pay for them? I was under the impression that Drax own them and Hattons is only distributing them. If that's the case, it's up to Drax and they dont seem to bothered by it.

Yes but did they pay for them? I was under the impression that Drax own them and Hattons is only distributing them. If that's the case, it's up to Drax and they dont seem to bothered by it.

If that's the case then Hatton's should get Drax to reduce the price of each wagon or have the option of sending the unsold stock back to Drax and let them deal with it.

Those wagons are way overpriced and I just wouldn't pay that sort of money especially when you'll need up to 10 for a proper rake, it also put me off from purchasing Hornby's DRAX Class 60 which I would have liked.

• RMweb Premium

If that's the case then Hatton's should get Drax to reduce the price of each wagon or have the option of sending the unsold stock back to Drax and let them deal with it.

Those wagons are way overpriced and I just wouldn't pay that sort of money especially when you'll need up to 10 for a proper rake, it also put me off from purchasing Hornby's DRAX Class 60 which I would have liked.

They may have signed a contract of sorts. I do hope they come down as I'd love a rake of these but they are close to $150NZD each and that's just too much to consider paying for one wagon, let alone a while rake of them!

• RMweb Premium

The high price is mostly due to half of the batch being given away by Drax as corporate gifts - they have loaded the cost of these freebies onto those for sale. The simple maths of that will increase the selling price by a significant sum.

There is also a promise by Drax that 10% of the profits will go to charity, so I wonder if there's an added premium there?

Hattons will probably only making a few percent of the £83 as a handling fee and knowing the size of Hattons warehouse, they take up a relatively insignificant space for no real cost to them.

It's not up to Hatton's to get the price reduced.

In the whole scheme of things, the value of these wagons sitting on the shelf will be a miniscule percentage of Drax's finances.

If anyone wants the price reducing, then why not contact Drax directly?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

In the whole scheme of things, the value of these wagons sitting on the shelf will be a miniscule percentage of Drax's finances.

Indeed, although thinking about it, the cost of these wagons to Drax was obviously 'significant' enough for them to conclude that they were unable/unwilling to swallow the cost of their corporate freebie percentage of the batch. 

When all is said and done these wagons are nice enough on an initial 'eye-candy' level, but beyond this I really don't see them as representing good value for money - the level of quality and detailing appears to be average at best, and the price not only premium, but eye-watering premium.  I'm just relieved that they aren't a must for what I model. Good luck to those that purchased. 

Edited by YesTor