Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

We have been approached by the TV company who have produced several well-known programmes such as James May's Toy Stories and Man Lab series who are looking for people who've got interesting angles or stories to tell.

“My name is Zoe and I work for a TV production company called Plum Pictures. I’m currently researching a possible BBC4 show about trainspotting. I’m now looking to talk with rail enthusiasts about their experiences, as well as what they think the future holds for trainspotting. I’d love to chat with anyone who might be interested in talking to us.

The programme would cover a lot of different aspects of trainspotting culture, so I’d be delighted to hear about any unusual practices, clubs or historic moments which could tell us more about the world of trains. My email address is zoet@plumpictures.co.uk. Thank you! Zoe!”

Having spoken to Zoe at length this morning it's evident that she and the company have a really good understanding of railways as hobbies and are treating the subject matter in a very positive manner.

Please do drop Zoe an email.

• RMweb Gold

She wants to know about "any unusual practices" - could be quite an intriguing program.

Dennis

Does that cover getting propositioned by a couple of Rough Girls in Gateshead for the price of a bag of chips????!!!!

Phil

Of course they say they will treat the subject sympathetically. How else are documentary makers going to get people to take part? 

Some years ago, the college I worked in was approached with a similar proposition. We considered it seriously until one of the freelance staff who had been a documentary maker himself warned us against the whole idea. The TV company approached another institution and when the series was aired, weren't we all glad we'd said No!

If you don't believe me, look at the way benefits claimants are treated on TV!

David C

Of course they say they will treat the subject sympathetically. How else are documentary makers going to get people to take part? 

*Serious Head on*

If anybody is worried about this check out the type of programming the company produces. (They will have a big glossy web site if they are a media company and that will give some idea of the content they aim for).

I've worked with a few film and media companies down the years and anybody that volunteers to take part in any programme should soon get an idea of how footage using them will be used.

You never know. Times maybe a changing. Maybe someone wants to portray playing with trains as being cool. You can always ask a researcher  if the programme is a commission or speculative and what the aims of the programme are. If you are at all suspicious about their aims you can always tell them to F.

*Serious head off*

Maybe they want to make a show about benefit claiming trainspotters?

P

• RMweb Gold

Isnt that what needs addressing Phil?

I shant be participating unless I am happy that is the case...well used to the way popular media handle information they are given to make an "interesting" story!

T'other Phil

I'm in two minds too.

Whilst I'd love to believe that the love of railways could finally lose the nerdy image it was given by the media so long ago now, I do come from the town which had an estate ridiculed in the first "Skint" programme. (Westcliffe).

I know some of the people portrayed and they were horrified at it. The main bloke in it, Dean, has had to be moved out of the estate....nay, even out of town.

To say I don't trust the media is putting it lightly.

There have been a few programmes about railways, but I always find them disappointing, as they concentrate on nearby things to see, often nothing to do with the railway at all, and some people, usually portrayed as strange, that work on, or nearby. On the whole, poor.

The better ones have been the fly-on-the-wall ones about GNER etc.

Isnt that what needs addressing Phil?I shant be participating unless I am happy that is the case...well used to the way popular media handle information they are given to make an "interesting" story!T'other Phil

I think we have all been there before TBH Phil, when the starting point is labeling us all as Trainspotters there isn't much point in pursuing it ;)

So, they either do the present day in which case it's all about middle aged guys congregating at some where like Stafford snapping endless sheds and units ( a few distant shots showing them getting all excited when a 68 goes past ) or its a nostalgia show. Question, how on earth does a company show any footage of "train spotting , the early years " ? Probably by using the same old footage from the 50s showing excited young lads in short and caps as has been seen before. There isn't going to be any other way of making it because the raw material isn't there is it ? Did anyone see film crews on platform ends from about 1954 to today ? I did'nt, has anyone been followed whilst dodging around Stratford or Toton in the late 60s 70s ? Me neither.

I would keep well clear of this show. They will show some 50s footage with some old chaps VoiceOver saying its " not what it used to be!" Interspersed with modern footage of similar chaps checking their iPhones standing on Crewe.

Archived