03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

I can't really see the attraction with DJH diesels they cost a lot of money aren't that easy to construct and the ready to run stuff coming out now looks better. Any diesel kits would have to be JLTRT, DJH is old hat and expensive as well.

An 04 would get my money because of a project I am doing, but leaving aside my preference, I should have thought that the different manufacturers would get more of a market share if their product was not in direct competition with another maker.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a superb option for Nth Degree and the Little Loco Co., I think. Id be up for a couple!

Rich

A class 22 diesel would be perfect -it has the hymek warship and western for company and would be great for smaller O layouts due to its length.

Book me in for two! (discs and indicators)

I think we're on the wrong Manufacturer's Thread, here.... ;) :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Oops! Morel of this story is don't reply from a phone on the mobile version, when your not totally sure which thread your in!!!

Now awaiting my centre-headcode 37, class 25 and now Class o3 ... Just to get us back on topic - but for god sake don't mention any of the above to my bank manager!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it certainly looks the part, no doubt the rivet counters will start to pull it apart which is a pity. For those who are looking at the Class 15 these could make great bed fellows for someone thinking ex GER branchline or goods yard. Perhaps the odd Heljan Class 20 or 26 might be included too. Now if there were a J15, J17, E4 or F6 then I could be swayed in this direction too. Meanwhile I have a couple of Terriers in stock with another on order to go with a Dapol 08. So I must pray to the sky for a RTR H, C or a Q1 and ask for a Class 04 too.

Well done Heljan.

Kevin

Well it certainly looks the part, no doubt the rivet counters will start to pull it apart which is a pity. For those who are looking at the Class 15 these could make great bed fellows for someone thinking ex GER branchline or goods yard. Perhaps the odd Heljan Class 20 or 26 might be included too. Now if there were a J15, J17, E4 or F6 then I could be swayed in this direction too. Meanwhile I have a couple of Terriers in stock with another on order to go with a Dapol 08. So I must pray to the sky for a RTR H, C or a Q1 and ask for a Class 04 too.

Well done Heljan.

Kevin

One big mistake on the loco was the wheels where too small. Heljan have been informed and they should arrive with the correct diameter wheels fitted. Heljan have stuck to doing the Scottish version, so it will be out of place on a GE branch line, but OK with 26's and 20's.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one still thinking that these seem expensive at close to GBP400 [or over once the P has slipped further]? At this price I may buy one but probably not both. The Heljan big diesels seem better value and the smaller Ixion, Dapol, Minerva, LLC locos much more so.

Dava

Edited by Dava

Not as ready-to-run it hasn't, and before you mention the Brassworks one, that still needed painting etc so I class that as 'part finished'.

Remember that there are a lot of people getting into O gauge who have neither the skills, the patience or the time to solder up a brass kit, the same as it always has been - the difference now is that the ready-to-run market is helping a lot of people into O gauge who would have otherwise never got started.

Bachmann 03 was also available fully painted..

Am I the only one still thinking that these seem expensive at close to GBP400 [or over once the P has slipped further]? At this price I may buy one but probably not both. The Heljan big diesels seem better value and the smaller Ixion, Dapol, Minerva, LLC locos much more so.

Dava

They are very expensive...

Block out the top sections of the side windows, take off the BR electric lamps and vac pipes and it's the industrial version. I could be interested in one of these.

It has the same engine as an 03 and mechanical transmission (though Hunslet's own and I don't know if that was self-shifting air-powered), so I suppose the sounds for an 03 would do to make it DCC sound...

Does anyone know the wheelbase? [just found it - 9ft. -  that should go round my curve]

Edited by Ruston

Block out the top sections of the side windows, take off the BR electric lamps and vac pipes and it's the industrial version. I could be interested in one of these.

It has the same engine as an 03 and mechanical transmission (though Hunslet's own and I don't know if that was self-shifting air-powered), so I suppose the sounds for an 03 would do to make it DCC sound...

Does anyone know the wheelbase? [just found it - 9ft. -  that should go round my curve]

The Hunslet shunters without the top section of side windows had a lower cab roof. As far as I know Hunslet never made an 6 wheel industrial version of the later tall cab version of the 05, but they did build six 4 wheel versions with the larger cab windows. Four went to Consett and two where used at Willington Power station. A photo of one of those at Willington can be found here.

https://flic.kr/p/e9Mjds

The gearbox on the 05 was manual, with some air assistance and doesn't sound anything like an 03 in operation. It was akin to driving an old lorry where you had to double de-clutch to change gear. A taste of what is involved can be found in the U-tube clip below. (the action starts at 1min 20 secs).

Paul J.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tower Models & Heljan have announced a very welcome price reduction on the 05 ( and 25) classes, possibly in response to buyer feedback:

"Good news in regard to the Class 05 is a change in strategy which has resulted in a substancial price drop. The RRP was £495.00 with our price £395.00; now we can confirm the new RRP from Heljan is £395.00 with our price only £315.00."

Let's see if this extends to the 03, looking ahead to late 2017!

Dava

The Hunslet shunters without the top section of side windows had a lower cab roof. As far as I know Hunslet never made an 6 wheel industrial version of the later tall cab version of the 05,

Paul J.

Does that mean that the three forthcoming industrial versions announced by Heljan, and drawings shown on the Tower site, are fictitious?

Paul - I know nothing of these, but think it looks like a nice loco at a decent price.

Does that mean that the three forthcoming industrial versions announced by Heljan, and drawings shown on the Tower site, are fictitious?

Paul

Not sure on the others but 2594 is presumably based on D2587 and D2595 as used at Chadderton Power station. With both being ex-BR examples this makes the model suitable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martynhilbert/25826196104/

Edited by DavidM