03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

14054245_1198484530214411_58125862487806

Great stuff! I'd love an 03 but sadly it is going to be beyond my budget. The price for the two shunters does seem a little on the high side (see what Little Loco Company are doing for the same price). Saying that, there is a market and they'll defintely sell!! You pays your money and all that......

• RMweb Premium

I agree, except that the LLCo are finding it very difficult to actually get the factory which makes most RTR Gauge 0 to say when it will produce the Class 15!

Dava

I agree, except that the LLCo are finding it very difficult to actually get the factory which makes most RTR Gauge 0 to say when it will produce the Class 15!

Dava

True... I suppose the by boys will have greater influence!

Mind I'm more interested in the 'hinted at' Ruston... ;)

Having failed to find any photographic evidence, I'm going to guess the left hand of the two 'late livery' variants (more vertical stripes) is the early one?   :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-08-19 at 19.14.36.jpg

Other way around. Well that is what the photos seem to say. The LH one is the "late" variant, and the RH one the early one. I found three locos with the late variant, D2576, D2581/2, and possibly a fourth, D2584, but the photo is unclear. a photo of D2581 showing this variation of wasp stripes can be found here. https://flic.kr/p/dwsyUr  . As far as I can tell with the photographic evidence available, the rest of the 05's had the earlier style of wasp stripes, D2578 definitely did as we found when restoring the loco, but most photo's of the locos are usually bonnet first so don't show the back of the cab, so there may be other examples of the "later" wasp stripes out there.

Paul J.

Great stuff! I'd love an 03 but sadly it is going to be beyond my budget. The price for the two shunters does seem a little on the high side (see what Little Loco Company are doing for the same price). Saying that, there is a market and they'll defintely sell!! You pays your money and all that......

Don't forget that is Heljan's RRP. All HJ locos have been fairly heavily discounted from the start, not just by Tower either, so the shop price should be much lower anyway.

I don't neccesarily disagree that even the discounted prices are still expensive, though. For some of us, they still take some saving up for!! It's one way to curb impulse buying, though :D the other being, waiting to see what errors Heljan models have, & if they can be corrected or overlooked!! :mosking:

I don't neccesarily disagree that even the discounted prices are still expensive, though. For some of us, they still take some saving up for!! It's one way to curb impulse buying, though :D :

I agree with that, it does focus the mind when things are so expensive. I've recently moved up to 7mm scale and have really taken my time in making purchases as every item has to be really justified... No flights of fancy!!

I agree with that, it does focus the mind when things are so expensive. I've recently moved up to 7mm scale and have really taken my time in making purchases as every item has to be really justified... No flights of fancy!!

Less is often more in 7mm, mind you I know some folk with draws and draws full of 'OO' locos and they say things like; 'how much did that class 37 cost you?!!'. Yes but I only have the one and my loco collection is still cheaper than yours! It's all relative. When they tot-up the price of their 'OO' locos compared to father's or mine, it's quite shocking how much more they have spent - their 'OO' layouts are bigger of course as we have modelled branchlines and they mainlines.

I wonder if, when comparing Dapol and Heljan, the fact that China and Denmark are 'abroad' (and have different rates of taxation) adds to the cost, or is it just Heljan's pricing 'strategy'?? The Ixion, Minerva and Dapol ranges feel about right, price wise (as a punter) for these smaller loco types, the Heljan shunters seem more pricey, but the 05 looks cracking I must admit - even if I cant really justify one (I have to wean myself from my shunter obsession!). IIRC I postulated the idea, on RMW, some time back, that it would be nice to see an 03 from Ixion.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 2 weeks later...

How about a model of the preserved D2578 ? That would have a lot of uses I'd have thought. Holding my hand up it's the one I would buy !

I believe the intention is to bring them out unnumbered, but whether transfers will be included with the model I do not know. But bringing up D2578 in the thread gives me a excuse to add this photo of D2578 looking resplendent in the sun a couple of weeks ago.

post-7146-0-17173600-1473105074_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Heljan's promo sheet at Guildex suggested an 04 could follow the 03 using the same chassis design. Where will this end & can we afford it?

Dava

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

On the 03 front I see there are some CAD drawings of the new loco on the Tower site - I am a little surprised to see the conical chimney on the drawings as opposed to the flower pot version unless both options are being provided? The Bachmann Brassworks model was clever in this respect in that both chimneys were provided and you simply screwed in which ever one you fancied. Hopefully Heljan could be persuaded to do similarly and if so why not put some air tanks and associated accessories in a spares bag just to help out the modeller.

Heljan's promo sheet at Guildex suggested an 04 could follow the 03 using the same chassis design. Where will this end & can we afford it?

Dava

Bad news is there are plenty more to go at, like you say 04, 14, 17, 40 diff head code layout, 45 diff head code layout, 46, 50, Kestrel, DP2, Lion, HST, Class 56. That's approx 6k in that list alone!

• RMweb Premium

Especially expensive given Heljan's price differential - Dapol are producing the 08 and Jinty for GBP 190 against Heljan at GBP 315 for the class 05 and presumably 03/04. It is difficult to see why as Heljan design and product quality is not that superior, as shown by the success of the Little Loco Co. Class 15 with a higher spec and more advanced design yet lower cost than Heljan.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

On the 03 front I see there are some CAD drawings of the new loco on the Tower site - I am a little surprised to see the conical chimney on the drawings as opposed to the flower pot version unless both options are being provided? The Bachmann Brassworks model was clever in this respect in that both chimneys were provided and you simply screwed in which ever one you fancied. Hopefully Heljan could be persuaded to do similarly and if so why not put some air tanks and associated accessories in a spares bag just to help out the modeller.

Only got one chimney with my Brassworks 03.

As an aside, how many 03s had each type of chimney?

Roy

Only got one chimney with my Brassworks 03.

As an aside, how many 03s had each type of chimney?

Roy

Re which type of chimney?.....I'm not 100% sure but there certainly seemed to be a lot more flower pots than conical chimneys certainly by the late 70's and into the 80's

At Gateshead in the early 80's, my (local 03 depot!) I can only recall 03021, 03022 & 03371 having conical chimneys - the rest were flower pots. Were the earlier ones built more with conical chimneys? but 03's 056,059,063,066 were all flower pots so I don't think there were too many conicals?

Obviously it is early days for the Heljan model but for me a flower pot would have made more sense or the ability to provide both styles and you screw fit the one you want on your model.

They managed to do a bit of this with the Peak (interchangeable components) so hopefully it can be done here in respect of chimneys.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I see Rails (Sheffield) has the 05 listed for £275, or £310 depending on livery. That does make the model a lot more tempting.

Looking forward to seeing the 03 arrive later in the year. Whilst I probably won't be able to afford or justify one I think it will be a great seller for Heljan given the recent boom im small 7mm scale layouts.

Although the 03 is likely to be a much bigger seller, I would imagine the fall in price mentioned above for the 05 could be reflected in the 03 in due course once initial stocks have sold. It does make it more affordable and closer in line with competitor's products (Dapol, Minerva etc)

• 1 month later...

Please find attached a selection of photos of the new Heljan Class 03 0-6-0DM in O gauge. This is the first running sample, now undergoing extensive test running and checks to ensure all is well. These eagerly awaited models will be released in 2019 in BR green (with or without 'wasp' warning stripes), BR blue and industrial yellow or dark blue, with both unnumbered and fully decorated versions available. All are available to order now at your local Heljan stockist. 

If you'd like a closer look at the new '03', visit the Heljan stand at the Gauge O Guild Convention in Telford on September 1/2, where we will also have a few more surprises!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

• Like 7

Wow. Fantastic to see progress on the 03 - I am sure this is going to prove incredibly popular. How many will get/need one as a partner to keep their 08 company! ;)

Edited by south_tyne