Connoisseur Models - GWR & LNER 4mm Wagon Kits

Blue Max

As many will know, Jim McGeown has recently re-introduced a number of his 4mm Loco kits, that I understand have sold quite well.

I spoke to Jim at the York exhibition to see if there was any possibility that there may be a short run of his 4mm wagon kits. However it seems that the artworks/etching tools carry multiple wagons of dissimilar types and he is concerned that if he were to run a batch of etches, that some would sell well and others not so well, where he would be left with unsaleable inventory and the associated cost. Hence probably not viable.

I post this here just to get feedback as to the likely interest there may potentially be for these kits to be brought back for a limited run and to try to get some ideas of numbers per wagon type to pass back to Jim for his consideration. 

Myself I am looking for 4 or 5 of each of the NER/LNER implementwagons and the Lowmac wagons and 3 of the Lowfit wagons, possibly a couple of the GWR wagons also. 

If anyone elase would like to add their potential requirements on here, I will try to correlate the numbers and feed back to Jim to assess the potential.

Thanks,

SteveT

• RMweb Gold

why don't you ask that nice Mr York to help you put a list of the potential wagons on  here with voting buttons so people can say what they would be interested in and you can give Jim some numbers

I suspect that it's not just the etchings but the castings that could be problematic, some may be beyond further use or missing. Something I believe has hampered some of the locomotive kit reintroductions (though I could be, and probably am, wrong on that) I don't know if Jim mentioned these at all?

Personally, I'd be very interested in the LNER range, and the GWR Rectank kits, as I only got one before they vanished, and built it when I was a little less experienced with etched kits and it shows!

Cheers

J

I suspect that it's not just the etchings but the castings that could be problematic, some may be beyond further use or missing. Something I believe has hampered some of the locomotive kit reintroductions (though I could be, and probably am, wrong on that) I don't know if Jim mentioned these at all?...

To some extent, castings can be found elsewhere, e.g. SE Finecast for the J69 and N7 components.

I only ever bought one of Jim's "Pocket Money" wagon kits - it was a GW brake van (I forget which diagram AA it was) - and discovered that it didn't appear to have a floorpan in the design, so would be a shell on wheels.

Not just the GWR and LNER kits please - the Connoisseur kit for the BR standard brake van was one of the best etched kits I've ever built and probably the best wagon in my collection.

I've had this conversation with Jim as well and he was quite retiscent. Castings, as has already been observed, would not be a problem through LMS, Dart and other sources.

Can you get hold of a complete list? I can't remember most of what was in there. I'm sure there would be a market as they go for ridiculous amounts on Ebay.

Has he thought of doing as Dan Pinnock does, issuing a list and making just what's ordered (within the bounds of complete sheets, naturally).

Having said all that I'd probably not be one of his better customers as I have just managed to get hold of the kits I was looking for in a collection which was being sold.

Complete list of wagons as follows -

GWR Loriot M Dia. G16

GWR Hydra Dia. G19

GWR Macaw H Dia. J30

GWR Crocodile H Dia. C23

GWR/LMS/LNER 35 Ton Rectank Trolley Wagon

GWR 20 Ton Brake Van Dia. AA19

GWR Macaw F

GWR Brake Van Dia. AA3

GWR Brake Van Dia. AA7

GWR Pt Way Brake Van Dia. AA6

LMS Stanier 20 Ton Brake Van

NER  Agricultural Implement Wagon

NER/LNER LowMachinery Wagon Mac-L

LNER Lowfit

LNER 22 Ton Fitted Plate Wagon

LNER Longfit Pipe Wagon

LNER Fitted Tube Wagon

BR Standard Brake Van (to LNER design)

LNER Single Bolsater Wagons 13 Tone (Pair)

I am pretty sure that is the full range of 4mm wagons and like a few other have mentioned, I would be pleased to just get hold of the etchings and source castings elsewhere if Jim did not wish to make them.

SteveT

• RMweb Gold

I can vouch for the excellent quality of these 4mm kits as seen here with my GWR Hydra G19.Not likely to ever get one of these rtr are we.

post-126-0-48637600-1462949235_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Such a shame Jim's GER Loco sand wagon isn't on the 4mm list. If that could be scaled down from the 7mm version I'd have it. 

I've built some of his 7mm kits and have found them to be well designed. Moreover, he writes some excellent instructions which don't assume you're an expert.

Such a shame Jim's GER Loco sand wagon isn't on the 4mm list. If that could be scaled down from the 7mm version I'd have it. 

I've built some of his 7mm kits and have found them to be well designed. Moreover, he writes some excellent instructions which don't assume you're an expert.

I have a requirement for one of these!

And:

GWR Loriot M Dia. G16

GWR Hydra Dia. G19

GWR Brake Van Dia. AA3

GWR Brake Van Dia. AA7

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested in any of the following:

GWR Loriot M Dia. G16

GWR Hydra Dia. G19

GWR Macaw F

GWR Brake Van Dia. AA3

LNER Lowfit

LNER Longfit Pipe Wagon

• 5 years later...

I have acquired a set of etchings for the NER implement wagon but am not finding it as easy to source the castings as many of the comments above lead me to expect.  I can alter a set of Wizard's NERC006 axleboxes to suit, but photographs of completed 7mm versions suggest they had buffers with chunky, jam-jar-shaped housings that no one appears to supply.  Suggestions, please?