TPE new trains

A search for “Caledonian” didn’t throw up any results for a topic for the new sleeper equipment (at least, not for the last year - I lost the will to keep looking further back), so this seems the least-worst place to note a 6 month delay in the launch of the new Sleeper trains according to Business Traveler: https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/10/01/new-caledonian-sleeper-delayed-until-spring-2019/

My search skills are clearly rubbish - apologies if this is a duplicate.

Paul

• Like 1

As the mk5 set control cabs have been designed as close as possible to be like a Class 68 cab; out of curiosity How fast would an 88 be able to shift a mk5 set in diesel mode, And what are the cab differences?

The TPE Mk5 vehicles can only be hauled by an 88 at the moment. There are no controls on the cab desk of the Mk5 DT to operate pan up/down, no line light or VCB indicators etc. I am sure would be an easy enough add on in the future.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

• 3 weeks later...

The TPE Mk5 vehicles can only be hauled by an 88 at the moment. There are no controls on the cab desk of the Mk5 DT to operate pan up/down, no line light or VCB indicators etc. I am sure would be an easy enough add on in the future.

Cheers

Simon

I am guessing you mean class 68 Simon  :locomotive:

I think Simon means that the Mk5's can only be hauled by an 88, but not pushed.

Correct, the mk5's can only work in push pull mode with a 68. With an 88 they can be hauled only (I believe the 88's don't have the TCMS/TMS control monitors fitted for the MK5 stock either for hauled mode).

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

• RMweb Premium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqLHFjUW4AAjFtk?format=jpg&name=large

Interesting TPE Mk5As are carrying their EVN number as well as TOPS number.

I thought that was mandatory for new stock now, though the IETs appear to be exempt.

I've seen EVNs presented in various ways, but not that way before.

Interesting that the TOPS number is 5 digit. I would have assumed 6 digit like multiple unit coach numbers are now.

Is that one of the driving trailers? If not, the 96 code for "special trailers" would seem an odd choice, if I've interpreted that correctly.

(I'm not sure I've seen that used on driving trailers in other countries. It's not something I've paid a huge amount of attention to but I would have though it more logical to use the same code as the other coaches in the rake).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've posted this on the TPE - Class 68 - Update thread but thought it might be useful to add here too; there're are a couple of workings in the schedule for tomorrow (19th December) which *might*, if they run, be the first TPE class 68s and Mk 5 coaches trips across the Pennines and back.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O67706/2018/12/19/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O67677/2018/12/19/advanced

• RMweb Gold

Further to my post yesterday, here is 68028 Lord President taking the first TransPennine Express Nova 3 set to cross the Pennines by rail passing through Huddersfield on 19th December.

post-414-0-66208000-1545209625.jpg

post-414-0-22324900-1545209633.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Passing through Huddersfield, with the driving trailer now leading, the Nova 3 set and 68028 worked back across the Pennines during the late afternoon of the 19th December as 5P60, 16.01 York to Manchester International Depot.

post-414-0-22324400-1545255373.jpg

post-414-0-01290100-1545255382.jpg

post-414-0-18551300-1545255390.jpg

post-414-0-15720900-1545255402.jpg

• Like 19

That conventional drawgear on the DT is unfortunate looking, I'm mildly surprised that the end next to the loco doesn't have a gangway (though it makes perfect sense when you think about it), and the lack of yellow ends is going to take some getting used to.

That conventional drawgear on the DT is unfortunate looking, I'm mildly surprised that the end next to the loco doesn't have a gangway (though it makes perfect sense when you think about it), and the lack of yellow ends is going to take some getting used to.

Bit like a Mk4 TOE in the respect of no gangway on the loco end. 

Think they look smart as a full consist, not necessarily a huge fan of the livery.

Is it just me or do's the driving trailer look as if there is a bit missing?

Yes, I was thinking the same.

The lack of an external bogie frame still looks odd to me, and some Mk3 style underframe fairing would have made a better look.

• RMweb Premium

Bit like a Mk4 TOE in the respect of no gangway on the loco end. 

So far as I recall, like Mk 4's the inter-coach couplings are non-standard so there has to be a definite end-coach, in which case you might as well leave the gangway off. 

In some ways it's more like an unpowered multiple unit than a rake of coaches.

So far as I recall, like Mk 4's the inter-coach couplings are non-standard so there has to be a definite end-coach, in which case you might as well leave the gangway off. 

In some ways it's more like an unpowered multiple unit than a rake of coaches.

Not unlike a MkII derived Gatwick set, in its way....