TPE new trains

• RMweb Gold

I've seen one now!

Here is 68025 "Superb", on Monday morning the 25th of Feb 2019, at Longsight.

20190225_094647.jpg.4379b680037369b279a47cef32e0c348.jpg

Kev.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Should please those of us who like tables.

Personally I prefer the face to back style, but I live in the South of England so it doesn't matter if I like them or not.

They seem to have a fair % of both.

My thoughts are that the capacity of the loco-hauled sets at around 300 is simply not enough. Six carriages would be better in the long run. Many trains are crowded from early morning to late at night already. I regularly travel on TPE services that have over 200 standing.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I haven't seen any seating plans posted in this thread yet, so hopefully these are of interest - for the Class 397 and the Mk5a stock:

20190210_095039.png

Nova3.png

I thought all new vehicles are supposed to be disabled compliant ?

i take it the concept doesn’t apply to each vehicle but a fixed consist ?

when I look at Accurascale diagram of the sleeper train formation, I notice the diagram doesn’t show a disabled coach in the Fort William consist, is that just a diagram flaw ?

side flipping I know, but if it’s a requirement to the consist, a 142+150 fixed pairing is a consist ?

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Railpassion said:

My thoughts are that the capacity of the loco-hauled sets at around 300 is simply not enough. Six carriages would be better in the long run. Many trains are crowded from early morning to late at night already. I regularly travel on TPE services that have over 200 standing.

On the plus side, being loco hauled stock should make it a bit easier to add extra coaches (i.e. no extra traction suff required on the extra coach as the loco is easily good for long trains)

On the down side the presence of a loco might mean that a 6 coach rake is too long for certain platforms (I see that the BBC are reporting that Northern will not be able to run 6 coach train via Leeds as the platforms extensions there won't be done till 2021 now)

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I haven't seen any seating plans posted in this thread yet, so hopefully these are of interest - for the Class 397 and the Mk5a stock:

20190210_095039.png

Nova3.png

A little surprised to see on the Nova 3 sets that the 1st Class has been situated next to the loco.  I would have thought it would have been placed in the DT, furthest point from a noisy locomotive.

6 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

It looks to me that given the services they are running and stock they are acquiring, it is becoming an inter-city franchise rather than an outer suburban one!

I always thought TPE were an inter-city franchise... The name would indicate so, suburban is just stoppers or semi fasts over shortish distances... I think they started as I/C anyhow, what they've now become is anyone's guess...

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think the disabled requirement relates to the whole consist if it's a fixed formation train, so as long as one coach is wheelchair compliant then they'll be ok. Having said that the other coaches should have non-wheelchair disabled facilities as part of their set-up (such as braille on the loo entrances, for instance)... I'm not sure what would happen if they took out the disabled coach on the loco hauled set as it appears that the only wheelchair area is in 1st class!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

A little surprised to see on the Nova 3 sets that the 1st Class has been situated next to the loco.  I would have thought it would have been placed in the DT, furthest point from a noisy locomotive.

68s sound nice, so it's a premium offering to be able to hear it.

Though given the lack of opening windows it'll probably be distant at best.

Actually I think having the galley and cab in the same vehicle would reduce the seating capacity enough that the adjacent vehicle would need to be a composite.

7 hours ago, Railpassion said:

but a 3 car 185 is under 170 capacity and there are alot of 3 car workings though all of the NOVA trains will offer less seats than a 6 car 185 but with a much improved ambience for long distance travellers.

Given the core Standedge route will be a mix of Nova 2 and Nova 3, I'd say there will be a decent uplift in capacity across the day

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the subject of potential lengthening was covered in a long interview with someone from TPE that was in one of the magazines some months ago.  IIRC they are designed to be fixed sets but an potentially be lengthened to at least 6 cars and possibly 7.  However platform length is a problem though selective door opening could potentially solve this.   If it can be done every day with the HST that operates from Lincoln, where it has 2 coaches off the end of the platform, then surely it could be done with more modern stock. I do realise that  signal positioning may be a problem.

Jamie

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

when I look at Accurascale diagram of the sleeper train formation, I notice the diagram doesn’t show a disabled coach in the Fort William consist, is that just a diagram flaw ?

side flipping I know, but if it’s a requirement to the consist, a 142+150 fixed pairing is a consist ?

Only need one compliant vehicle per set.

the Fort William portion has a Sleeper Either Disabled (SLED), at present so I'd assume it'll get the Mk5 equivalent, so probably a flaw I'd guess.

7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

When I first read that First Class wasn't going in the Driving Trailer I was surprised. Especially as First Class has the wheelchair accomodation and toilet, and there is one spare driving trailer.

Presumably there is some reason for it.

38 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Regards the seating plan illustration, how do the seats relate to the windows? My preference is for the airline type of seat because it offers a degree of privacy but I do like to see outside! This is difficult on, say the 185s.

From CAF's website, Standard Class in a 397:

5-tren-regional-transpennine.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I believe that the subject of potential lengthening was covered in a long interview with someone from TPE that was in one of the magazines some months ago.  IIRC they are designed to be fixed sets but an potentially be lengthened to at least 6 cars and possibly 7.  However platform length is a problem though selective door opening could potentially solve this.   If it can be done every day with the HST that operates from Lincoln, where it has 2 coaches off the end of the platform, then surely it could be done with more modern stock. I do realise that  signal positioning may be a problem.

The one big problem with SDO is that it is only a solution to short platforms where the numbers boarding / alighting are low - otherwise station dwell times become extended and problems occur where boarding passengers won't walk down the train to the non platformed coaches. This is why many platforms in south London have had to be extended to accommodate longer suburban trains rather than rely on SDO.

As such  TPE would have to be sure that the extended trains fit within the platforms (and within signal sections - which might be an issue if some places have the signal literally at the end of the platform) at the principal stations before they can extend them.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

As such  TPE would have to be sure that the extended trains fit within the platforms (and within signal sections - which might be an issue if some places have the signal literally at the end of the platform) at the principal stations before they can extend them.

It works at Berwick upon Tweed with 91's and Mk iv sets where the locomotive goes beyond the signal to a stop board!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Only need one compliant vehicle per set.

I thought it was per class but looks like I'm wrong about that.

Anyway I like the look of the layouts, plenty of tables and the photo shows them lined up with the windows. I'm assuming that they simply haven't got around to fitting the tables when the photo was taken...?

Edited by Reorte

1 minute ago, Reorte said:

I thought it was per class but looks like I'm wrong about that.

It should be accessible from either class - so assuming you can access the adjoining vehicle to use the loo, then the only requirement in both classes of accommodation is sufficient priority seating.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Anyway I like the look of the layouts, plenty of tables and the photo shows them lined up with the windows. I'm assuming that they simply haven't got around to fitting the tables when the photo was taken...?

Yes, tables not yet fitted when they took the picture. Lots of new builds seem to get the tables put in after they take interior shots.

I love the carpet! :D

Edited by hexagon789
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Hobby said:

I think they started as I/C anyhow, what they've now become is anyone's guess...

Always Provincial / REgional Railways. The service was branded as Transpennine but only on timetables and publicity material until 1998 when Northern Spirit went ORCATS raiding between York and Newcastle, fitted the 158s with first class compartments and painted them purple with "transpennine" branding instead of the standard NS green/turquiose.  

• Like 1