Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Had never heard of RT Models but have now found the item.  Why are there 3 rods on the fret, only two of which are the same?  Does this mean I need two sets to do one loco?

Here's the relationship between the filler cap and the rod.

9717c.jpg.56d6b767fca6473513f48efa15cbd663.jpg.3d8d09ec2e36bc3a784651b3ca5ede52.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Posted these a month or to ago when I converted 7768.

Excellent - thanks Kevin.  Had seen them, but hadn't gone back far enough to find them.  (There are a lot of posts on your thread! As others have said - could do with an index.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Excellent - thanks Kevin.  Had seen them, but hadn't gone back far enough to find them.  (There are a lot of posts on your thread! As others have said - could do with an index.)

I know, just need a volunteer.

You see, if I mess around doing one of those then the front ends suffers and all the followers would have nothing to read.......for months!!!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Did you drill from above or below?  I wasn’t sure about the access, but really need to get it done on both my 74xx and 57xx

if you haven’t already, a set of RT models sandbox linkages would be a good addition to finish it off

I was going to do that on my 74xx but couldn't find my 0.45mm wire, so I just used a U-shaped piece of 0.5mm wire. Once I'd finished it, I found the 0.45mm wire...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Sandbox filler caps now repositioned, external ejector overflow pipes removed and sandbox operating rods o/o from RT Models.  In the meantime a break from panniers and back to coaches.

I recently put into service a North to West express.  One or two of you may remember that I had a nagging doubt about the two Stanier LMS period 3 coaches I'd included in the formation, thinking that they were bit too up to date for such duties.  So I've replaced them with two tarted up Mainline/Bachmann period 1 vehicles, seen here behind 'Knight of the Grand Cross'.

W1.jpg.a74a8607c2afcb4ee4819654effb1eed.jpg

Once again I'm grateful to @A Murphyof this parish for giving me first refusal for a pair he had in storage.  Thanks Alastair!

In the second picture 8709 can be seen shunting in the background, still with its topfeed (but not for long).   

W2.jpg.898b54f1f811feacabed09160691f673.jpg 

John C.

The LMS coaches look good. As I think I mentioned a while back, I’d be interested to know what improvements you’ve made to them. 

Really splendid photos as usual. 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, checkrail said:

Here's that valiant knight again.  He's a star!

W3.jpg.0c72c881adc96fa8c9f388c53ddd957f.jpg

And here are individual shots of the two vehicles.

W4.jpg.07678eb7d953b85cb59daf76a8c401c8.jpg

W5.jpg.6c5200871a2081bf3b7476910ea6f841.jpg

These old Mainline/Bachmann models were pretty good for their day and scrub up quite well.  As 'layout coaches' they will normally only be seen passing through, so I didn't go completely to town on them, one of the main considerations being that I didn't want to get into repainting them.  So the work done consisted of:

• New LMS scissors gangways from Keen Systems. (Had to saw the original ones off first.)
  • Early LMS buffers from Lanarkshire Model Supplies
  • Alan Gibson Mansell wheels to replace plastic originals.
  • Close coupling.
  • Shaving off torpedo roof vents and replacing with Dart Castings items. (Gave a bit more relief, but at least Mainline's mouldings were straight!)
  • Shaved off short roof handrails and added wire ones.
  • Painted ends black and provided strip brass lamp bracket on outer end of brake 3rd. 
  • Painted roofs with Lifecolor roof dirt and underframes/bogies with LC weathered black, drybrushed over with LC frame dirt.

I didn't bother with the moulded side and end handrails because of the livery considerations mentioned above.  However, I feel that the biggest single thing I did in lifting the appearance of these models was one of the simplest - touching up the door and grab handles with Humbrol metallic gold.

I think the livery is meant to represent the post 1934 'simplified' LMS scheme (though without the black element to the gold waist lining).  However, I suspect that this means the 3s on the 3rd class compartment brandings should be in the flat-topped style?  Not going to lose any sleep over it ('though I'm always happy to be educated, informed, corrected).  As usual with me it's about flavour, atmosphere, impression, rather than strict fidelity.

And now I've got at least part of a train heading towards my home city. 

John C.

Thanks for sharing your method to improve these coaches, John. They look great, and you’ve inspired me to do some work on a couple of BR-liveried ones for my own layout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've got several of the old Ratio iron Minks in my kit stash, I must say that the roof on the Rails version looks rather thick, more like a wooden roof. For years people have been saying there's this that and the other wrong with the Ratio model, but I now know where to drill the holes! 

I might just dig them out and build a batch. 

The Rails model is nicely detailed and finished (how thick are the brake levers though?) but I suspect that I will be sticking with the Ratio relics.

Speaking of which, how many of us would like to see a re-issue of the GWR Open C ?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Speaking of which, how many of us would like to see a re-issue of the GWR Open C ?

Yes, that would be nice.  Don't know if it's featured yet in the series of informal mini-polls going on over at ANTB?

Funny how all those old Ratio kits keep on appearing year after year in the Peco etc. catalogue, like relics from an earlier age, but not that one.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, checkrail said:

Yes, that would be nice.  Don't know if it's featured yet in the series of informal mini-polls going on over at ANTB?

Funny how all those old Ratio kits keep on appearing year after year in the Peco etc. catalogue, like relics from an earlier age, but not that one.  

several years ago, before Peco took over Ratio, I asked Richard webster (?) about releasing the open C again. he told me the tooling was worn out, along with another issue, which I can't now remember. He said they didn't think it was worth re-tooling.

• Informative/Useful 5