Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

I had the same issue with two of my slaters kits, all be it not so pronounced.  I hate building plastic kits from the floor up for that reason (and wouldn’t buy slaters again).  The only one I have that hasn’t bowed was built from spares (sides, ends and roof) so I built it from the roof down.  Despite not having a floor fitted for several years (it will get a comet one in January) it’s still straight 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, food for thought re plastic coaches, which is why I put cantrail level cross members on my Slater's ones, one above each compartment.  Of course, Hornby coaches are plastic too, but in one 'monocoque' piece with sides and ends.  Many of you will remember the exquisite GWR coaches ERH Francis used to fashion from Plastikard, featured over the years in Model Railway Constructor.  Works of the finest craftsmanship, but I think I read somewhere that they didn't stand the test of time.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

This is why i am not a fan of the Slaters kits.

Here are a couple I have been asked to 'rescue', for a friend. Large sum paid for a pro paint job and the sides are all bowed, internals will not allow roof to fir properly, AHH!  Bogies are in the reycling bin being replaced with cast ones. Expensive exercise for a plastic kit.

Personally I will stick with brass where a solid box can be soldered up.

Mike Wiltshire

1028965630_toplightsaa.jpg.813ab81df29915f05642d6cffb0b8ea3.jpg944504955_toplightsbb.jpg.cd2d5fd00c5213588fb80bc6a11aecb9.jpg1265733831_toplightscc.jpg.66f596d2c96442e3fafcf56043dd3838.jpg

To be fair to Slaters, any plastic coach kit built like that will bow. It needs bracing or a false ceiling (or my preferred method, gluing the roof on solid and having a separate underframe).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks as though the load has shifted off the centre line...

On closer inspection I find that the solebar on one side is too high, its top half hidden behind the bottom of the wagon's side - in other words the floor ain't level.  A suitable case for treatment, if not the bin.  I sometimes find getting floors glued on absolutely flush and at a right angle with the bodysides to be quite difficult, which brings us right back to Slater's coach kits .... !

• Friendly/supportive 7

20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Given that an RTR coach is now around the GBP 40 mark or more , twice that for a new Slaters kit wouldn't be too bad. I'm blowed if I'm going to pay that for a second-hand one, sight unseen, though.

Now at £150!  I hope Slaters don’t follow the auctions and get ideas about the right pricing points for a reintroduced range.

• Agree 5

13 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

This is why i am not a fan of the Slaters kits.

Here are a couple I have been asked to 'rescue', for a friend. Large sum paid for a pro paint job and the sides are all bowed, internals will not allow roof to fir properly, AHH!  Bogies are in the reycling bin being replaced with cast ones. Expensive exercise for a plastic kit.

Personally I will stick with brass where a solid box can be soldered up.

Mike Wiltshire

1028965630_toplightsaa.jpg.813ab81df29915f05642d6cffb0b8ea3.jpg944504955_toplightsbb.jpg.cd2d5fd00c5213588fb80bc6a11aecb9.jpg1265733831_toplightscc.jpg.66f596d2c96442e3fafcf56043dd3838.jpg

That's exactly what I'm worried about.
K's B Set is something I'd like. No idea what it's doing in Manchester.
Bit of my youth.
Not gone there 'cos the plastic, as Mike has told me, warps!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

That's exactly what I'm worried about.
K's B Set is something I'd like. No idea what it's doing in Manchester.
Bit of my youth.
Not gone there 'cos the plastic, as Mike has told me, warps!!

I have a pair of B Set coaches that must be close to 50 years old. By fitting a floor and compartment walls as bracing they have not warped or bowed at all.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Following recent discussion on here about the longevity - or otherwise - of plastic-sided coaches I opened the January RM to find Ian Nuttall's article on his Thames-Clyde express.  These coaches were originally built by his late friend Ron Smith over 50 years ago, and have Plastikard sides with an outer skin of 10 thou.  They look pretty good to me so I'm not going to worry about the life expectancy of mine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/12/2020 at 04:23, St Enodoc said:

I have a pair of B Set coaches that must be close to 50 years old. By fitting a floor and compartment walls as bracing they have not warped or bowed at all.

Mike has a virgin pair of K's kits. The sides are straightish.
He will build them and do exactly what you suggest, good floor and loads of strong bulkheads.
I do that with my Kirk coaches. Some of those are 25yrs old and straight .

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Mike has a virgin pair of K's kits. The sides are straightish.
He will build them and do exactly what you suggest, good floor and loads of strong bulkheads.
I do that with my Kirk coaches. Some of those are 25yrs old and straight .

I made the floor and bulkheads from black styrene. That way the compartments are so dark you don't need to worry about seats, etc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2