The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

10 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Just discovered that there was a Vickers Vampire in WW1 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Vampire

Interesting quote from that article...

"After modifications to the radiator layout and wing structure and re-armed with three Lewis guns in an Eeman mounting capable of firing up at a 45° angle to engage enemy bombers from below, "

Somewhat ironic that a British design preceded the Luftwaffe "Schräge Musik" by well over two decades, and that British bomber designers didn't learn from such a potential threat either. :(

I know of the debate over the 'effectiveness or otherwise' of gun turrets on RAF WW2 bombers, but the fact is that apart from some 'local modifications' (a RCAF Squadron with Lancasters IIRC?) none of them had even a window to look underneath, never mind belly guns or ball-turret like USAAF bombers. It's an un-knowable figure how many RAF bombers fell to Schräge Musik nightfighters before the threat was realised, as it was such an effective weapon very few bombers survived the attack to return & report it.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Informative/Useful 5

12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Interesting quote from that article...

"After modifications to the radiator layout and wing structure and re-armed with three Lewis guns in an Eeman mounting capable of firing up at a 45° angle to engage enemy bombers from below, "

Somewhat ironic that a British design preceded the Luftwaffe "Schräge Musik" by well over two decades, and that British bomber designers didn't learn from such a potential threat either. :(

Even the Hampden had a lower defensive gun position, and the Lancaster was designed with ventral armament. But this was found to be pretty useless and deleted.

All the best

Katy

• Informative/Useful 1

Pinal Airport in Arizona is a huge aircraft graveyard.

It's also housing lots of aircraft temporarily grounded by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Kansas City

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It’s an utter disaster for aviation . End game for the days of cheap fares 

it is a huge disaster for the commercial aviation world, but I'm not so sure about the end of cheap fares.

It's widely viewed that traffic levels will not recover to pre-Covid-19 levels for a number of years, but the airlines will be very keen in attracting passengers back, as the various travel restrictions are gradually eased and removed.

Then there are the 4 or 500 odd Boeing 737 Max aircraft that haven't even been delivered.

At their peak both Boeing and Airbus were completing one single aisle aircraft (737, 320 series) every day!

58 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Then there are the 4 or 500 odd Boeing 737 Max aircraft that haven't even been delivered......

387 examples of the B737 MAX aircraft had already been delivered, when the grounding of the fleet came into effect.

All of these are parked up in various locations around the world.

That's in addition to a few hundred that have been made and put into storage, before being delivered to customers.

On 19/04/2020 at 20:00, steve1 said:

That image reminds me of my aircraft spotting days in 1960s. Spent hours at London Airport, as Heathrow was known then. I lived in Slough and then Langley and it was a trip on the no 81 LT bus, a red RT, away or, when I had a decent bike, a cycle ride.

Sitting in the Queen’s Building with my sandwiches, a telescope and an air band radio was a great way of passing the time at weekends.

steve

I spent many a Saturday on top of the Queens Building back in 1961 - it used to take sometime to get there from North London with a Red Rover bus ticket.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 18/04/2020 at 11:29, Metr0Land said:

My first flight was Heathrow to Le Bourget with a BEA Vanguard G-APEH

48880872376_fe0e1f5d0c_c.jpgG-APEH Vickers Vanguard 953. Glasgow/Renfrew (GLA/EGPF) 1962 by Martin  Stephen, on Flickr

I "spotted" BEA Vanguard G-APEH and also G-APEI while sitting atop of the Queens Building on Saturday 5th August 1961. Nothing particularly spectacular on that Saturday, except perhaps for two Air France Super Constellations (F-BHBD and F-BHMJ) and a Seaboard & Western Super Constellation (N1007C) - those were the days.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Some astonishing pictures. The airlines may recoup some of their losses at this time of extra low fuel costs; bearing in mind that fuel is bought months in advance. Hopefully they will get a chance to use some 

8 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

it is a huge disaster for the commercial aviation world, but I'm not so sure about the end of cheap fares.

It's widely viewed that traffic levels will not recover to pre-Covid-19 levels for a number of years, but the airlines will be very keen in attracting passengers back, as the various travel restrictions are gradually eased and removed.

Yes, but if you have to fly half loads to keep your “ social distance “, they either won’t bother as it’ll make a loss or prices need to go up sharply. And that’s not counting Boris way too late quarantine, which is another kick in the teeth 

Edited by rob D2
Double quote by accident I’m afraid
  • Like 1