The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Puzzling - Bombing up looks like a model diorama due to the unfocused bomb.  Not sure about most of the rest, heavily edited and maybe colourised  real pictures?

they are all real pics some of them the re enactors had to pose fot several seconds for longer exposures in the low light conditions leading to them looking quite toy/model like hence not being totaly sharp .the photographer concerned has pruduced similar images before to good effect 

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 04:59, SHMD said:

Not a pic but yesterday returning on the 16:25 KL1074 AMS-MAN I had my first aborted landing - I enjoyed it immensely!

We came in low over Denton/Bredbury with low cloud cover and patchy rain. Turbulence was much lower than expected with just a little roll present occasionally.

We went lower and power was applied pressing us into our seats - then back to the glide path over the pub at the end of the runway. I did think we were still a bit low at this point. Then more power whilst descending over the runway. Must have been a few 10s of feet above it now. The plane was pitching quite a bit - then nose up with full power. :)

The Pilot later explained "that wind shear was the cause and that we wound try and have another go if the weather improves - if not we would be off to another city."

So a low tour around Manchester and we landed without fuss 20 minutes later.

Obviously I am no expert but wind shear did not seem to be a problem but height was. I wonder if they had that pressure/altitude thingy set correctly to show Manchester's runway to be at zero height when coming in?

Kev.

It’s pretty much impossible to know from the back where the plane is in relation to either the visual glide path or instrument version.

windshear normally makes its self felt with a sudden increase in headwind or tailwind. Below 1000’ airlines have strict criteria for continuing the approach . If the speed alters by +10/-5  this will be followed by a go around as per ( most ) companies procedure , or if it’s severe the “ Windhear escape manoeuvre “.

modern aircraft have excellent windshear detection systems. Ours starts looking 12 seconds after the weather radar is switched on.

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

No pics, they were tiny as high up, but we've had a couple of Typhoons doodling about here (North Yorkshire) this pm. Even though they were high up they were still flippin' noisy.

steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, steve1 said:

No pics, they were tiny as high up, but we've had a couple of Typhoons doodling about here (North Yorkshire) this pm. Even though they were high up they were still flippin' noisy.

steve

Its those Napier Sabre engines.....!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Modern typhoon wasn’t a popular name with some participating countries due to WW2 connotations .

Theres a pilot called Paul Godfrey on airline interviews talking about his time in the RAF . One day he got to fly a chipmunk , hurricane , spitfire and ( jet ) typhoon all in one day .

carlsberg don’t do days at work but if they did ..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver airport is on an island in the delta of the Fraser River, with a channel of the river to the north, and another to the south, with the runways east-west along the length of the island. There is also a terminal at this southern channel for floatplanes, which provide service up and down the BC coast.

We were in Richmond today, on the south shore of the southern channel. I didn't have my best camera with me, but I took a few pictures with an older camera I keep in the car. Here's an Air Canada flight taking off to the west from the main airport, with the North Shore mountains in the background:

IMG_4843.JPG.4efede88a86318a5851dbcf5bf6222f2.JPG

And a De Havilland Beaver coming in west-to-east to land on the Fraser River:

IMG_4845.JPG.c9e5758dc264a058b222614da843679c.JPG

Another Beaver closer to touchdown, with the main airport control tower on the left edge of the picture:

IMG_4848.JPG.39fdd0024ebb7faf47b45569757d4c84.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I had to go to Heathrow early this morning so thought you might like to see this (mobile phone) photo. No wing condensation here, but it kicked in very nicely as they 'went over the fence' (over my left shoulder).

Although my photo might appear to show a take-off, it is actually on short final to 27L at 0800.

The visit was rounded off nicely with a view of BA's A319 in BEA retro livery departing to Dublin and superb wing condensation of larger planes at around 200ft. Sadly, too far away to photograph with the phone!

Brian

LHR 0800 22.10.19.JPG

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Steve1 you are wicked.

"San sarriffe"!

I might as well say Atlantis now - at least there is more documentary* evidence**!

Kev.

* and ** - A lesson to us all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been sorting through some old family photographs. Here are a few that were taken by my late father who served on aircraft carriers during World War two. Can any of you guess at the historical event that is taking place?.

HMS Ocean.jpg

Vampire_001.jpg

Vampire_002.jpg

Vampire_003.jpg

Vampire_004.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, rocor said:

I have been sorting through some old family photographs. Here are a few that were taken by my late father who served on aircraft carriers during World War two. Can any of you guess at the historical event that is taking place?.

HMS Ocean.jpg

Vampire_001.jpg

Vampire_002.jpg

Vampire_003.jpg

Vampire_004.jpg

Looks like Eric “Winkle” Brown performing the first ever landing of a jet aircraft on a carrier.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1