The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

Can anyone explain why some military flights appear on FlightRadar 24 and others do not? We have had a fair number of military aircraft visiting Bristol recently. Of those that I have seen and checked, none of the helicopters show up on FlightRadar. However, one A400M blotted out the sun and did not appear on radar, while several others were clearly identified going in and out of Brize Norton (and elsewhere). 

Best wishes 

Eric 

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Heading for Dublin ? Heard it but did not see it over Retford. PPE Supplies?

https://www.flightradar24.com/static/images/sideviews/thumbnails/C27J.jpg

P

Slovak Air Force Alenia C27J . Departed Dublin at 1535 (local), flying back to....?

Who knows why it has visited Dublin.

There are lots of unusual flights taking place at the moment.

Ireland has been receiving PPE supplies from China on a regular basis.

Aer Lingus have been flying up to 2 or 3 flights every day between Dublin and Beijing, bringing in PPE in their A330 passenger airliners..

The cargo is carried both in the below deck cargo hold and in the passenger cabin.

Boxes of facemasks, gloves etc are lightweight and are being carried on covered over passenger seats and even in the overhead lockers.

They've been carrying out these flights since late March or early April.

On 07/03/2019 at 08:10, phil_sutters said:

Having unearthed the little print of Herr Krause and his sailplane among pre-WW2 family photos, I decided to find out who Krause was and why the crowd was so large. The answers can be found in this archived magazine 'special progamme' edition https://www.sailplaneandgliding.co.uk/archive-item/souvenir-programme-sailplane-glider-approx-1931 Our family interest comes from my great-uncle Percy's enthusiasm for the sport, so I have added a couple of photos of him and his glider, which was a bit more basic.

Herr Krause in sailplane at Broadway May 10th 1931.jpg

Percy on a glider 1930.jpg

The glider Percy flew 1930.jpg

Thats the same sort of glider flown by the CCF when I was at school! Dangerous contraption, and only the “favoured few” ever flew it; the rest were condemned to thankless heaving on the bungee rope all afternoon...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

Can anyone explain why some military flights appear on FlightRadar 24 and others do not? We have had a fair number of military aircraft visiting Bristol recently. Of those that I have seen and checked, none of the helicopters show up on FlightRadar. However, one A400M blotted out the sun and did not appear on radar, while several others were clearly identified going in and out of Brize Norton (and elsewhere). 

Best wishes 

Eric 

I think those apps rely on the ADS- B feed through the transponder ? I’m not sure all military stuff squawks in the conventional sense 

• Agree 1

On 19/04/2020 at 20:00, steve1 said:

That image reminds me of my aircraft spotting days in 1960s. Spent hours at London Airport, as Heathrow was known then. I lived in Slough and then Langley and it was a trip on the no 81 LT bus, a red RT, away or, when I had a decent bike, a cycle ride.

Sitting in the Queen’s Building with my sandwiches, a telescope and an air band radio was a great way of passing the time at weekends.

steve

Me too, 1959 to 62 (aged 9 to 12) my mate that lived next door to us in Addlestone and I would get our flask and sarnies on a Saturday, get the Train from Addlestone to Stains, and then the Free Bus to the Queens Buildings. nearly every week we would buy a kit or a badge from the little shop. You and I may have even spoken to each other, haha.:P

Kids of 9 / 10 / 11 and 12 would not be aloud to go off on their own and have adventures like that now a days.

We were also fishing in the River Wey when the first VC10 took off from Brooklands and come over our heads from the Race Track banking behind us. But they had to land at Wisley as the Brooklands Runway was to short for landing. if I remember correctly.

Wonderful times.:good:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I think those apps rely on the ADS- B feed through the transponder ? I’m not sure all military stuff squawks in the conventional sense 

Thanks Rob. 

I am just curious that at least some military fixed wing aircraft seem to have the ability to squawk when they want to. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about it, I can imagine there are times when Military aircraft are perfectly happy and indeed prefer to let the world know where they are, particularly if they are flying deliveries into civilian airports and other times, well, perhaps they would rather keep their location less public.

• Like 1

There's been an RAF C130 over Swad around lunchtime, about 4 or 5 circuits one way, then one the other way, and then back clockwise again, I'm not sure if it actually did touch and go at East Midlands or not, as at least one circuit seemed quite short, and it came over from Melbourne way which would suggest it didn't touch and go out over the M1 and Kegworth.

I was to busy to put the Flight Tracker on to see where it came from or went to.

I'm moving back to the South Coast of Hampshire on Friday, so Eastleigh, Gatwick and Heathrow will all be in comfortable driving distance again.

I do miss the days when I used to go to Heathrow to watch Concorde.

When we lived at Buckfast in Devon, we would see / hear Concorde about 8-30 of an evening, often with the Sonic boom as it slowed from over the Atlantic.

The best era for me was certainly seeing the BOAC and BEA Viscounts and Vanguards etc and also the VC10's and Caravels. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, burgundy said:

Best wishes 

Eric 

Hi,

There are other web based flight trackers, some with more military on them. Also some sites show some private jets and some don't. It all depends on who is feeding data to the site and some people feed to one site and others to others. Some aircraft don't send ADS-B data.

For military I use https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/  You can filter to only see these (click on the "U" in the top RH corner) or have everything.

Alternative to FR24 is Planefinder https://planefinder.net/  

It's only recently, in fact just before the lockdown, I noticed that some military were appearing on the sites. normally you'd see the odd one, but not many. 

HTH

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I'm moving back to the South Coast of Hampshire on Friday, so Eastleigh, Gatwick and Heathrow will all be in comfortable driving distance again.

I do miss the days when I used to go to Heathrow to watch Concorde.

When we lived at Buckfast in Devon, we would see / hear Concorde about 8-30 of an evening, often with the Sonic boom as it slowed from over the Atlantic.

The best era for me was certainly seeing the BOAC and BEA Viscounts and Vanguards etc and also the VC10's and Caravels. 

Gatwick is like a ghost town . I made my last flight on 17/3- which was last day for our handlers and they’d already shut half the terminal .

Virgin won’t be back , nor Norwegian and BA may not restart then .

this is worse than 9–11 and the first gulf war recession rolled into one 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, burgundy said:

....I am just curious that at least some military fixed wing aircraft seem to have the ability to squawk when they want to. .....

5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Thinking about it, I can imagine there are times when Military aircraft are perfectly happy and indeed prefer to let the world know where they are, particularly if they are flying deliveries into civilian airports and other times, well, perhaps they would rather keep their location less public.

Note that these tracking sites and apps are just based on eavesdropping on broadcast information, via amateur enthusiast's receivers.

They are not "Radar" data, nor are their map displays and the way aircraft tracks are represented, in any way accurate enough for any serious use.

Although quite clever, in fact they're quite crude, particularly at lower levels and where amateur receiver coverage is more sparse.

All the military aircraft are squawking (i.e. responding to SSR & military IFF - secondary surveillance radar).

It's just that the enthusiast's receivers are only able to pick up broadcast data from ADS-B and/or contribute to the amateur multilateral feed (using eavesdropped Mode-S data), where that's available.

They can't pick up the SSR radar returns the way a SSR does and obviously they don't have access to primary radar data.

Military transponders have different capabilities and their ADS transmissions, where fitted, or switched on, can be encoded and invisible to Fred the spotter's receiver.

The tracking sites that show military aircraft that are not shown on other tracking sites, are using multilateral techniques to plot tracks from eavesdropped SSR Mode-S transmissions.

There's also blocked traffic, where governments have requested that certain aircraft are not displayed on these tracking sites.

Not all civil aircraft show on these tracking sites either, particularly some light aircraft, although that is getting less and less the case as the requirements for mandatory fitment of the appropriate, newer types of transponder equipment are tightened in certain parts of the world, such as Europe.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Thats the same sort of glider flown by the CCF when I was at school! Dangerous contraption, and only the “favoured few” ever flew it; the rest were condemned to thankless heaving on the bungee rope all afternoon...

Slingsby Grasshopper, or a forerunner thereto. We had one too. Only those who had taken a CCF gliding course (in my case at RAF West Malling) were allowed on board.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Slingsby Grasshopper, or a forerunner thereto. We had one too. Only those who had taken a CCF gliding course (in my case at RAF West Malling) were allowed on board.

West Malling, saw many Great Warbird Air Shows there during the 80's. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Like this 

Apparently they were quite capable of being air-towed, although I don’t recall our one ever being launched that way. I never flew it, being considered a member of the “awkward squad” although I DID do the gliding course (at RAF Swanton Morley, in my case).

CCF courses were great value for money. There was Air Experience Flying in two-seater Chipmunks from Marshall’s Airfield, and the one-week courses for small boats, sailing, diving, submarines and radio (including radar and sonar) from the Navy. Actual RAF courses were best avoided, tedious “RAF Camps” comprising mainly square-bashing and classroom lectures (“.. but today, we have Naming Of Parts...”). Army courses were rare but I did do one in Wiltshire involving much range drills  and carrying heavy items around the landscape, but we did actually fire a WW1 era Vickers by teams on the Thursday, and smoke bombs from a Stokes Mortar; the year I left school was celebrated by a weeks’ skiing in Norway, quite tremendous if physically rigorous. 

It was a strange time. Most of my classmates were more concerned with establishing the politically correct postures that would carry them through to their life’s-work in the BBC or politics, or simply coasting along until they inherited sinecures in business or the civil service through family connections.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Gatwick is like a ghost town . I made my last flight on 17/3- which was last day for our handlers and they’d already shut half the terminal .

Virgin won’t be back , nor Norwegian and BA may not restart then .

this is worse than 9–11 and the first gulf war recession rolled into one 

I am quite certain that the economy is being deliberately crashed and burned, in a concerted manner, throughout the Western world. I find it inconceivable that such economic devastation is being visited on us, simply because of a flu virus. 

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I am quite certain that the economy is being deliberately crashed and burned, in a concerted manner, throughout the Western world. I find it inconceivable that such economic devastation is being visited on us, simply because of a flu virus. 

It's not a flu virus.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Like this 

Apparently they were quite capable of being air-towed, although I don’t recall our one ever being launched that way. I never flew it, being considered a member of the “awkward squad” although I DID do the gliding course (at RAF Swanton Morley, in my case).

CCF courses were great value for money. There was Air Experience Flying in two-seater Chipmunks from Marshall’s Airfield, and the one-week courses for small boats, sailing, diving, submarines and radio (including radar and sonar) from the Navy. Actual RAF courses were best avoided, tedious “RAF Camps” comprising mainly square-bashing and classroom lectures (“.. but today, we have Naming Of Parts...”). Army courses were rare but I did do one in Wiltshire involving much range drills  and carrying heavy items around the landscape, but we did actually fire a WW1 era Vickers by teams on the Thursday, and smoke bombs from a Stokes Mortar; the year I left school was celebrated by a weeks’ skiing in Norway, quite tremendous if physically rigorous. 

It was a strange time. Most of my classmates were more concerned with establishing the politically correct postures that would carry them through to their life’s-work in the BBC or politics, or simply coasting along until they inherited sinecures in business or the civil service through family connections.... 

20 years later that could have been me. Funny how we also flew across the cricket pitch...

Don't think I'd have volunteered for an air tow though. Altitude 10 feet was more than enough.

AEFs in Chippies (from White Waltham in our case) were fun. I think the pilots' main aim was to see if they could make the cadets sick. Never did any courses apart from gliding though.

Shooting was also good. Thanks to the CCF I made the school team in both small- and full-bore.

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Keep the thread about aircraft , not conspiracy theories 

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

20 years later that could have been me. Funny how we also flew across the cricket pitch...

Don't think I'd have volunteered for an air tow though. Altitude 10 feet was more than enough.

AEFs in Chippies (from White Waltham in our case) were fun. I think the pilots' main aim was to see if they could make the cadets sick. Never did any courses apart from gliding though.

Shooting was also good. Thanks to the CCF I made the school team in both small- and full-bore.

There are at least two videos on YouTube of these things being air-towed and flying. Looks like an exceedingly dangerous amusement. 

I can’t really see where else you might fly them, apart from cricket fields. Wide open spaces and no goal posts. Our CCF one wasn’t allowed at the local glider club, because of the bumps, although at least one video shows one being towed from a grass airfield. 

• Informative/Useful 1