Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

G'Day Folks.

Plenty, Plenty wagons.

manna

About 50 years ago, Guard Martin of Norwood depot, if involved in freight train preparation, might reasonably be asked how many wagons were in the consist or “tally”. His answer would invariably be “Many wagons”.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's plenty more too!

Sand load from a thin piece of MDF sanded to shape with the finest sand I could find stuck on.

post-8964-0-75944200-1547837124_thumb.jpg

Recently finished LMS cattle van kit. Still empty(I've run out of cows).

post-8964-0-92285800-1547837138_thumb.jpg

Three wagons full of sleepers. The middle one is a MR half drop side sleeper wagon. Marketed by Colin Ashby for a short while, it's a little treasure and has needed a load for about 20 odd years. Sleepers are alder all cut to size, painted individually, and stuck onto MDF bases. 

post-8964-0-99882700-1547837187_thumb.jpg

LNWR empty 2 plank.

post-8964-0-96981800-1547837160_thumb.jpg

My rake of Banana vans has reached a nice length.

post-8964-0-93272600-1547837199_thumb.jpg

The three new ones destined for Ladmanlow in Derbyshire :mosking:  are kit bashed GWR,  the BR ply version (unweathered) made by marrying a Dapol body with a beefed up red panda chassis and heavily weathered scratch built LNER. Yellow spots are painted on using funnily enough, acrylic "Banana yellow".

post-8964-0-38586300-1547837213_thumb.jpg

It's raining cats and dogs here so there might be even more wagonry this afternoon. Shaun.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for my absence, I've been having serious browsers issues! However whilst unable to use the forum quite a bit has been worked on including the much compressed Bradford exchange section. Concerning which, when the turnouts and gubbins arrive in the mail, the baseboards will be finished. The decision to move ahead with this was made purely because the trains on Queensbury have nowhere to go! No doubt as soon as the 30 odd turnouts on the Exchange/Bridge St. goods section have all been hooked up work will continue on scenery for Queensbury.

My plan for Bradford is to model only one side of the station platforms 1-5 and 10 of the goods sidings at Bridge Street Goods.

Originally there were two 50' turntables at Bradford Exchange one for each of the two railway companies lines. One is included in my plan and will be unprototypical (a word only used by rail modelers and not in any dictionary!! But don't quote me on that.) for two reasons. They were removed as the motive power became too large to use them and being faced with the same problem I will be squeezing a 70' kit based Walthers one in because I can. Where as the real station could not due to space restrictions. Whilst studying the station over the past few years I have wondered if locomotives were run down to St Dunstans and turned on the triangle there?

Building the Wathers model is a bit challenging. I replaced the plastic deck wheels with some metal tram ones, removed all the American style fittings and motorized it with the Walthers motor and a cheepo train set controller. I'm very pleased with it so far as it takes a full 3 minutes and 40 seconds to make a full revolution.

Over the winter other modeling has been concentrated on LNER coaching stock. including a Qunit set, gresley steel BG, a non corridor diagram 62 brake 3rd  and the twin set.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
Terrable punctuation and too not two
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

This Bradford model is already making my brain hurt. 

So far I have cut up two sheets of 6mm MDF for the board tops/track bed. With previous layouts I used open frame and filled with foam sheet. A development of this is to Cut away any board that would be below track levels, mount the foam underneath and on top like this.

1029364863_Baseboardconstruction..png.7451604d6f9847449902725469195ba2.png

Using much old set track I next laid out and marked the MDF with where the track needs to go. This done to see if it all fits in the very tight 11' 6" X 6' balloon shaped layout confines.

impact.JPG.e26e0e8bc0de6353492f13ea4df8daba.JPG

I have achieved my objectives:

•                                            

1 Exchange's two arched roofs were about 400' x 128' each.    My one arch will be a scale 116' x 290' .  

2 Bridge St. Goods has had to be severely compressed using some 1st radius curves and loosing  a couple of sidings.

3 The 70' turntable fits. 

4 All 5 platforms will hold trains of near scale length. That is one coach short! My objective was to run trains of 4 coaches.

5 The station, L&Y goods warehouse, a portion of the L&Y goods station, the office building and the GN. Victoria hotel all fit.

In relation to Queensbruy showing the hidden curved tracks.

1694047686_hiddenloops.JPG.91bc1df6630a10c19886a5f6c3e571ab.JPG

Much hidden point work. Some of these will have to be bent

1152803442_hiddenpointwork.JPG.e1ab78a63ea23145eb440e58fc349ba7.JPG

Layout of the station

station.JPG.ca47f4faab342020dbbd60245d79c41f.JPG

33413634425_a67f0f0d05_h.jpg.3106fcde360b894144b61b6abb70126b.jpg

Bradford Exchange. Train for Leeds. 6.9.69

This section of GUN will be made in two halves. with controls across the join behind the signal box. Trains will arrive through a 4 track passing loop (two up, two down). Or can just be run back and fourth between the station and loops. Platform 5 could hold longer trains and be used as a return loop to the entire garage via Queensbury.   All curves entering the goods yard can be shunted via a curved head shunt. There will be a working uncoupling system and dead ends in all sidings and platform roads.  

All images are from flicker And a huge thank you to the people who freely share these!

The goods yard.

1292548783_Goodsyard2.jpg.47d93988d07356c6008b1874608775fd.jpg   map.JPG.c53a2370e139f7c3fcae2b68c25c7883.JPG

'Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland'    https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642098

1060788785_goodsyard.JPG.f0a1e3cc1bbe47521de480fd0e77d5a2.JPG

Now I can start the woodwork.

Nice to be back on the forum but I still need to learn how to master this new and much better version.

Regards Shaun.

12192731684_27cd168dc0_z.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
Not used to the new forum yet.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thought it might be worth posting on how I used the new forum.

It was cool being able to drag and drop the images straight in but inserting them in the text failed. On the second attempt I cut and copied all the text then placed all the images in the field in reverse order and reinserted the text then cut and copying the relevant paragraphs to where they needed to be. Time consuming and well worth the learning curve.

Regards Shaun. Back to modeling! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Excellent work, that photo of Bradford Exchange brings back memories. I didn't realise that the buildings were so black although being next to the railway station wouldn't have helped.

Most buildings still standing have long since been sandblasted and now are back to their original honey colour.

• Like 1

Shaun, great work mate, as for posting pics, I upload to the thread as a block, then type a bit, place cursor there and then hit the + sign on the pic, then I enter twice to give a space, then type again and then add another pic by hitting the + again. far quicker and works well for me.

Love the Prototype pics as well buddy and glad your back with us.:good:

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, richard.h said:

Excellent work, that photo of Bradford Exchange brings back memories. I didn't realise that the buildings were so black although being next to the railway station wouldn't have helped.

Most buildings still standing have long since been sandblasted and now are back to their original honey colour.

Every picture tells a different story. Taken in the late sixties that colour photo does show the grime to best effect. Of great interest to me is the colour (which is rare). It's not black more charcoal grey. The loco should be black though!

Bet it's nice weather in Spain right now?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Shaun, great work mate, as for posting pics, I upload to the thread as a block, then type a bit, place cursor there and then hit the + sign on the pic, then I enter twice to give a space, then type again and then add another pic by hitting the + again. far quicker and works well for me.

Love the Prototype pics as well buddy and glad your back with us.:good:

Hi Andy. I'll soon get the hang of it mate!

Very nice to be back it is too. I'd been using windows explorer and start page which were not working at all, couldn't type anything in anywhere. In the end I borrowed SHMBO's phone to cry for help. Andy Y almost gave me a slap on the wrist  but said try a different browser like Firefox. I didn't even know it was on the flip top! Glad it works though. It got so boring stuck up here way out in the woods with no forum to mess about on that I'm so grateful to be back  I almost went for Gold membership. In fact I would if I had any spare dough. Might be worth it for the free listings, I've loads of stuff to sell! 

Good to hear from you. Shaun

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

1598621203_Bradfordturntable(3).JPG.bdda6465ce2bb2d4505249f567fdf167.JPG

Here's the turntable, Sprayed with water thinned crafter's acrylic battleship grey and weathered with powders. I think that makes it look British enough.

313847604_Bradfordturntable(1).JPG.24e0cfd7ae3f3fda16934b3f98dd1773.JPG

Replacement metal tram wheels.

1608081159_Bradfordturntable(2).JPG.8c1ff8f74ba8355c0993d0d25cd4c408.JPG

Rather than solder the wires to the rails and super glue the rails to the deck as per instructions I decided to solder the wires between the deck and bridge after painting.

1471663636_Bradfordturntable(4).JPG.6cccdb2c76d645ab85313b3dee560610.JPG

Just have to glue the deck to the bridge. I thought I'd wait to do this until installation in case repairs are needed.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I Thought Queensbury triangle, was 'BIG', Bradford's .........Huge, keep you busy for years.

manna

G'Day manna.

I'm sure the camera lies!

Queensbury is bigger at 15' X 12'. Bradford's only 11'6" X  6'.  The two are very different. Bradford being all sidings and large buildings as opposed to open country side, long sweeping curves and small buildings. The mill town will be a combination of both at  26' X 3-4' and will be much easier to model being it fictitious n' all.

Regards Squatch.

• Like 3

Just found this thread and it brings back memories! I was born in Bradford but we moved to Tees-side when I was five. We used to travel back to visit my mother’s family, always by train. For some reason my mother would not use Forster Square so we had to dash between City and Central stations in Leeds to get one that arrived at Exchange!

Tim T

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2019 at 04:55, timbowilts said:

Just found this thread and it brings back memories! I was born in Bradford but we moved to Tees-side when I was five. We used to travel back to visit my mother’s family, always by train. For some reason my mother would not use Forster Square so we had to dash between City and Central stations in Leeds to get one that arrived at Exchange!

Tim T

Hi Tim. Lets hope we can get those memories flooding back. I'm not a fan of Forster Square either. No Great Northern engines there! I wonder why your mum didn't use it.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
missedanS

G'Day Folks

Used to work into both Stations, although Bradford Interchange, was not the most eye catching of station's. But did have the  views of the old coal/goods yards on the left as you approached it. And you also had to pass the site of Lysterdyke station, Ex GN.

Forster Sq. was a Big station bit with only one track, was a bit over the top, it got a bit better when it was rebuilt (when I was working into it) but everyone  moaned about how far it was to walk to get out of the station

manna

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

This weekend, despite having pulled my back out I did manage to get the 6mm MDF ready cut plan into my woodwork shop.

First job was to cut and rejoin the boards where necessary.

To maintain a nice straight joint, I cut the two halves with in the panel saw.

Cutting them left over right will ensure a square edge when the four sections are married up.

It still required a few passes with a block plane.

1231667113_6mmMDF(1).JPG.6b507659eb41f5cb32b131f973ad4b95.JPG

To join two 6mm MDF sheets, T-REX tape was stuck to the underside of the join seem and the two turned over.

When slid to the edge of the work bench one side (the smaller of the two) will fold down.

A generous bead of wood glue is run, the board folded back up, slid back on the bench and more tape stuck on top.

566600378_6mmMDF(2).JPG.b8224b85facaae76076e11f0b2359060.JPG

The joints can be seen here. Those dark lines are where cuts will be made with the jigsaw to allow for gradients.

897258935_6mmMDF(3).JPG.6ce6c6fff8fd2409a5aa06da1c2efaf4.JPG

I have marked out the platforms.

607931865_6mmMDF(4).JPG.e40d81ca3aedc75d8191c46666e1a760.JPG

The incline out of the station will start at the carefully chosen baseboard joint. I'm only going for 3/4" which should come out at about 1 in 70. the line will curve sharply around to the hidden junction making the goods yard 3/4" higher than the station and then drop at 1 in 140 back down through the hidden loops at the back.

Here's a great image of that incline with the scissor crossing in front of the 26 60 foot long double aspect signal box. Bridge Street goods yard is on the right. 

incline.jpg.905b58d318a5059150d45efbf2780b60.jpg

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
Errors
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Used to work into both Stations, although Bradford Interchange, was not the most eye catching of station's. But did have the  views of the old coal/goods yards on the left as you approached it. And you also had to pass the site of Lysterdyke station, Ex GN.

Forster Sq. was a Big station bit with only one track, was a bit over the top, it got a bit better when it was rebuilt (when I was working into it) but everyone  moaned about how far it was to walk to get out of the station

manna

:swoon:   You're a dark horse Manna. I had no idea you worked on trains in the West Riding. There's thousands of Questions I could ask!:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

502087302_OS25inchbradfordmap..png.dc8e44367a975957edef79ee21a4198a.png

Thought I'd post this.

National library of Scotland ordnance Survey 25 inch map.  The other day I viewed this map where there was a measuring tool and measured all the buildings. There are 4 maps to this scale on which the most recent shows a longer signal box. If you look at the picture above there is a distinct change to the brickwork half way along which shows this box could have been extended at some time. Can anyone confirm please?

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Zoom, pet.Zoom.

With kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Brilliant. Every last signal post, turnout. tram line and frog rail.

Bradford station aproach OS25inch map NLS..png

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 8

G'Day Folks

Ask away Shaun. I worked as a Guard at Leeds 6/88 - 10/91.  Always been interested in the GNR in West Yorks.

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2019 at 16:44, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Ask away Shaun. I worked as a Guard at Leeds 6/88 - 10/91.  Always been interested in the GNR in West Yorks.

manna

Hi Manna. For some reason I had the impression that you work on the railway during steam days. Obviously not, if I give it a little thought.

Working as a guard there during that period must have been an interesting occupation. I had a mate in Brighton who did the same job. He hated the last train down from Victoria and chucked it in after a very nasty incident in Clayton tunnel. 

The Queensbury Lines. A pictorial history by Alan Whitaker and Bob Cryer. Arrived in the post on Monday. Great reading if you're into GNR in the West Riding. Am  tempted to buy a C12 kit now and I've had some interesting ideas for this Bradford section whilst working on it today. All will be revealed.

1849559388_FinecastC12.jpg.02989ae8006ba4af5436f8c1ad52e968.jpg

Regards Shaun; 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Manna. For some reason I had the impression that you work on the railway during steam days. Obviously not, if I give it a little thought.

Working as a guard there during that period must have been an interesting occupation. I had a mate in Brighton who did the same job. He hated the last train down from Victoria and chucked it in after a very nasty incident in Clayton tunnel. 

The Queensbury Lines. A pictorial history by Alan Whitaker and Bob Cryer. Arrived in the post on Monday. Great reading if you're into GNR in the West Riding. Am  tempted to buy a C12 kit now and I've had some interesting ideas for this Bradford section whilst working on it today. All will be revealed.

1849559388_FinecastC12.jpg.02989ae8006ba4af5436f8c1ad52e968.jpg

Regards Shaun; 

G'Day Folks

No, I never worked for the railway in steam days, but did 'spot' at Wood Green (5 miles north of KX), I then worked at KX, left, and restarted at Southend, then worked at Eastleigh and Leeds, I was a Guard at Eastleigh and Leeds, so I signed a lot of route miles.

I like the C12, watch the chassis on the C12, I've got to have another go at it, it's still not right, I built a new body for mine, thinking it was the body.

There is a Facebook page all about  the Queensbury Lines.

manna

• Like 2