South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

28 minutes ago, johndon said:

Don't build too many, I believe that only 4 were ever made.

Kaboooosh!  Falls into trap of believing what is written in most books. There was the identical LNER & LMS examples built at Dukenfieild as opposed to  the  BR Middlesborough built jobbies.

The research department conversions with the sheds on top look to be more your era.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Porcy Mane said:

Kaboooosh!  Falls into trap of believing what is written in most books. There was the identical LNER & LMS examples built at Dukenfieild as opposed to Middlesborough.

Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, who'd have thought... :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, johndon said:

Don't build too many, I believe that only 4 were ever made.

I think there were 6 Trestrol EC built. The shortened Triang version (I run two of them, one loaded, one empty) does a good job of removing badly site ground signals - the full length is more than and inch longer. I've not tried building one yet but I think it might have to be route restricted on my layouts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Crikey!  Eight years ago...

Forgot I had the pre Tops diagram book.

There you go Bub. No excuse now.

2096439192_2681-Trestol-PreTopsDia-Sm.jpg.f9a80976f9cc7139d1f05f743ec0d58f.jpg

Looking at the drawing again, I notice that is does specify a quantity of 4. I assume this relates to the lot but I guess it does explain where the number I had came from. 

On 20/03/2021 at 09:26, johndon said:

Looking at the drawing again, I notice that is does specify a quantity of 4.

BR built 4 to BR diagram 2/681. They were knocked up at Head Wrigthtson's  Teesside Bridge & Eng. works.

In 1938 the LNER built 2 Trestol EC's at Dukenfield   (BR Diagram 2/268 was identical to LNER EC's)  for their own use. At the same time they built two EC's for the LMS (LMS Dia. P134A). I make that eight in total.

There was also the visually similar Trestol EB but dimensions, construction and capacity differed.

Now, I must get back to pulling a troublesome tooth.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The relevant magazine mentioned in the article has decent drawings in it.

Mr Trotters 1958 MRC drawing as recently seen on the Auction site.

Trestol-E-C-drawing-copy-from-Model-Railways-1958.jpg.928246433f4e165f3dffc2c89c1303e8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

BR built 4 to BR diagram 2/681. They were knocked up at Head Wrigthtson's M'boro works as opposed to their Thornaby works.

In 1938 the LNER built 2 Trestol EC's at Dukenfield   (BR Diagram 2/268 was identical to LNER EC's)  for their own use. At the same time they built two EC's for the LMS (LMS Dia. P134A). I make that eight in total.

There was also the visually similar Trestol EB but dimensions, construction and capacity differed.

Now, I must get back to pulling a troublesome tooth.

...glad to hear the tooths out

4 hours ago, Axlebox said:

...glad to hear the tooths out

Yep the little tinkers out. Nowt a couple of tubes of yonks old Bonjela   (loads of lidocaine in the mix), some Tincture of Myrrh (also good for haemorrhoids apparently?) and a quick tug couldn't sort out. I came down off the ceiling about 10 minutes ago!

Ugly little blighter, innit. You can see where the impacted wisdom tooth was giving it a prod. I'll put it on display with that other wisdom toof I pulled last year. I reckons there could be money to be made from this toofery lark if this lockdown continues.

So I'm now off to buy a couple of big tubs of Ben & Jerry's by way of a celebration.

MaToofSm.jpg.c7d027ffd48ba4e24ab72392606cdcac.jpg

Anyhow back to trains & South Pelaw.

A then & then view of 43129@stainmore,s excellent Flatts Box. (As ever, there's always some random guy who will walk into your shot wanting to show off how many chins he now owns).

SouthPelaw2017-018(2).jpg.eccf4f51300a9474c31f90bbb42fd49c.jpg

with apologies for the dentistry diversion. Please don't tell 2mm Tim.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Spilleng & correct credit
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

53 minutes ago, Sugar Palm 60526 said:

But that is Rich's cabin. Mark's is the other one.

Thanks M,

I knew that. Dunno why I wrote Mark. Must have been the effect of the Bonjela. Post now corrected to reflect reality.

Here are a couple of photos of the Trestrol EC behind the J27 that has prompted the replies in the thread. It was converted using some guidance in a Scalefour newsletter. Note I sacrificed a cheap 6" rule to give a strong joint between the two parts of the vehicle. I was concerned that it would be too weak in the centre of the vehicle and a rule was almost the correct length and more importantly thickness to be invisible. Since the photo was taken the rake has been reformed and now has two of Ian MacDonalds Trestrols in place of a couple of the plate wagons.

IMG_0594.JPG.6db732b3767696a3209c520191a3d308.JPGRichIMG_0593.JPG.d89439e8e4f151c1d3089673b9e6d380.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1