Where next for the Class 442s?

On 04/05/2019 at 16:57, SWT442 said:

The ITV report seemed a bit better than the BBC one, as they seemed to put a negative spin on it. Though, the ITV guys had to re-take a part of their report as we'd fired up a Class 159 for testing in the middle of it! Oops!

Nice to see the pics of them out and about too.

Andy.

Cheers Andy...

BBC, eh ?......hmmm.... Not my first choice for news ?? these days, I'm sorry to say. Especially with South Today's Paul Clifton in front of the camera.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Are these the only DMU/  EMUs now operating with traditional couplings ?

They were an anachronism even when they introduced in not having automatic physical and MW coupling (the class 312's were the previous anomaly...).

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Are these the only DMU/  EMUs now operating with traditional couplings ?

Yup.

While on the plus side it means they can easily be rescued by a 73, with the rest of the SWR fleet means they are likely to blocked in by more modern units which have autocouplers of various types.

It wouldn’t be that hard to find a way of fitting modern autocouplers (thus eliminating the nose end pipes) during the proposed traction gear replacement - if that ever happens of course.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I like the look of those in that livery; well, the first third of the Driving end anyway. Are they actually comfortable etc?

P

Probably not - the original NSE seating / layouts were ripped out during the refit for Gatwick Express and ‘DfT approved’ ironing boards fitted instead.

Interesting to see the first class section has moved back to a driving car again (the Gatwick Express refit moved it to the centre car) - but that could be as simple as swapping round the relevant seats rather than any improvement.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A number of years back I was put on a contract that required a reverse commute to the HQ of a well known retailer near Southampton.

its the only time I've ever enjoyed getting up at 6am in London...

half empty train, comfortable seats, by a window with a big table, smooth ride and fast journey... went to Portsmouth with 444’s and reverse by 377... a few months back, not a patch on a 442.

When are 442s expected to increase their footprint from 1 up 1 down a day ?

Edited by adb968008

9 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Probably not - the original NSE seating / layouts were ripped out during the refit for Gatwick Express and ‘DfT approved’ ironing boards fitted instead.

Interesting to see the first class section has moved back to a driving car again (the Gatwick Express refit moved it to the centre car) - but that could be as simple as swapping round the relevant seats rather than any improvement.

The seats in standard class are worse than the original ones, but much better than the DfT spec unpadded tombstones.

• Informative/Useful 3

17 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Yup.

While on the plus side it means they can easily be rescued by a 73, with the rest of the SWR fleet means they are likely to blocked in by more modern units which have autocouplers of various types.

It wouldn’t be that hard to find a way of fitting modern autocouplers (thus eliminating the nose end pipes) during the proposed traction gear replacement - if that ever happens of course.

I'm not an authority on couplers but 455s and 456s look like they have old fashioned buckeyes to me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DY444 said:

I'm not an authority on couplers but 455s and 456s look like they have old fashioned buckeyes to me.

They have tightlocks. Strawberry hill even managed to couple them to 465's and run them in multiple with an unofficial adapter for the electrics. Not in passenger service I hasten to add...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Refurbished South Western Railway trains withdrawn

Newly-refurbished trains have been withdrawn from service over fears they wrongly turn signals yellow or red.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49555437

Already being discussed towards the end of this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

South West Railway's 442415 has headed back to Eastleigh Alstom on 27th September 2019, top and tailed by Railway Operation Group's 47813 'Jack Frost' and 47815 'Lost Boys 68-88'.

Here's the combination arriving at Eastleigh and heading into Alstom's facility as 5Q87, 08.30 Bournemouth T&RSMD to Eastleigh Alstom.

2097701178_478155Q87Eastleigh270920191-RMweb.jpg.3683fde21e701dd9b845299ad03ad9e6.jpg

1591336842_4424155Q87Eastleigh270920192-RMweb.jpg.38793f57b78b46c3859c0ab3edc39c67.jpg

1395494064_478135Q87Eastleigh270920193-RMweb.jpg.0ced893e4943569a902501f3a5554485.jpg

1368383972_47815442415478135Q87Eastleigh270920194-RMweb.jpg.b852d757d6411674d6dc443563e88a9e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

So still proceeding with the refurbishment but not (yet) the re-tractioning?  Until such time as these units have their 1960s 4-Rep kit replaced it seems they are destined to remain sidelined.   

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

So still proceeding with the refurbishment but not (yet) the re-tractioning?  Until such time as these units have their 1960s 4-Rep kit replaced it seems they are destined to remain sidelined.   

Are they now completely out if traffic Rick?  The notice displayed at Southampton a few weeks back implied that they were still running as single unit formations.

23 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There was a report a few weeks ago that 442419 has been re-tractioned at Eastleigh and then hauled to Bournemouth depot.  I've not seen any subsequent reports about it though.

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Are they now completely out if traffic Rick?  The notice displayed at Southampton a few weeks back implied that they were still running as single unit formations.

Yes, the entire fleet is grounded for the forseeable future. It was said before I left SWR that it'd be unlikely to see them in service until the new year! Not sure whether to take that with a pinch of salt or not. They were only ever "allowed" to run as a 10-car formation due to the worry of breakdowns, even when going between the depots.

The first A/C tractioned unit (2419) arrived at Bournemouth at the beginning of the month, but needed a bit of remedial work before testing could be undertaken. Another unit (2402) left the depot a few weeks back to go to Eastleigh and have its A/C motor coach put into it. The other units being dragged to Eastleigh are having interior refurbishment done.

Supposedly, 2419 & 2402 will be the only two retractioned units due to how long it's taken for them to be done, but again, pinch of salt needed I think! I think they hope the retractioning will solve the signalling/track circuit issue. I've been told that the issue has affected the class from new and whilst at Southern, and the REP's before hand had similar problems, something to do with shutting off from full power putting a high frequency spike into the track circuits if a certain type of bonding was used? Happy to be corrected on that!

On a slight tangent, the first Desiro arrived at Bournemouth for repainting last week. Livery similar to the 442's, just a slight colour revision. Should be out by the start of November, with all the 444's being done first.

Andy.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1