Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

Rail Express number 127 (December 2006) had a big article on military trains and formations. I imagine it's also in the "Train Formations" book they published a couple of years ago. I'm not certain if it lines up with your period though: the earliest train recorded is from 1980 and the earliest ones with any Warwells/flats in them are from 1984 (Class 33 with 8x Warwell carrying Saxon APCs) and 1985 (2xClass 20, OCA, VDA, VEA, 5x Warwell carrying Saracen APCs).

Jim

The NGS do a resin Saxon APC. I might order a couple and perhaps another Warwell, and maybe some more warflats, and . . . . 

• Funny 3

The buffers are now on - the moulded shanks needed drilling through and then cutting off to accommodate the new NGS oval buffers supplied in the kit. And I've added plates, which are missing, on the sole-bar for the TOPS panel and running number plate decals.

DSC_0126red.jpg.698cd5d3e8a66a5516fd78b0e94d196e.jpg

• Like 9

Grey primer coat and a dark green (although it looks quite light in this pic but not so much in reality) top coat have been added. Plus I grabbed a road/rail crane out my 'not sure' vehicle pile and temporarily plonked it on it. The bogies need brake hand wheels to be fitted. I'll be substituting etched ones for the moulded plastic ones supplied in the kit:

DSC_0133red.jpg.b4a3f9e3a908963b9bb6adec46bf57dc.jpg

And, yep, I've ordered another Warwell, decals and a couple of Saxon APCs to go on them from the NGS this morning. But I've not ordered more Warflats - hopefully three will be enough. I think I'll wait for the new Warwell before progressing this one any further and will now turn my attention to the Warflats.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Like the road/rail crane on the Warwell, I did consider suggesting putting an army green bulldozer on when you were first asking for vehicle suggestions but I didn't know if there was anything available....maybe you have something already tucked away ?

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Like the road/rail crane on the Warwell, I did consider suggesting putting an army green bulldozer on when you were first asking for vehicle suggestions but I didn't know if there was anything available....maybe you have something already tucked away ?

I'd already thought of that and had done a little internet surfing to see what was available. I don't mind putting together a kit and painting it. The Langley one is rather basic and chunky and the nicer GHQ one would be okay but I couldn't find anyone in the UK with one. And the ones from USA want huge amounts for postage - one was quoting $51 for P&P. I was also hoping to find a Japanese made one (Maruka, Tomytec, etc.,) but no luck.

But now I've got the Saxon APCs on their way to use.  

• Like 1

The GHQ 1974 D7 'dozer does look good:

53001-b_386x.jpg.0bd695efa3bfba9275ad45d1f159525a.jpg

Apparently they were first introduced in WW2 as a military crawler tractor/'dozer and is still made and in use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_D7 

The GHQ model is a 1:160 scale white metal kit and is so much better detailed than the Langley one. I'd like to get one, even if not for use as a load. But it's damn difficult to track one down that doesn't include extortionate P&P. The best I've found is either on the GHQ website but that involves coming from USA and risking the dreaded taxes and PO levy, or from Germany.   

Artitec do a ready made and painted 1:160 model which also looks good:

bulldozer-d7-yellow.jpg.08a05156e8f77f4f5639ad4fdcebecb6.jpg

But, again, it's not cheap, comes from Europe and would need repainting in to Army green.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Back to the Warflats. I've started to tackle the cast underframe trusses and equipment. One side has quite a bit of small and fine details, both etched and cast parts, to add. This is the first:

DSC00450red.jpg.88d7211a87e3207476f599c901d0c174.jpg

Despite taken with just a compact snap camera the photo is a very cruel close-up and larger than life-size. It looks like I need to do some cleaning and tidying up. I hope a coat of paint will also help pull things together. And that being underneath the wagon it wont be too noticeable. :unsure:

• Like 6

And the land rovers from Hattons have arrived in the post. That's loads for two Warflats and the Saxon APCs (when they arrive and are assembled and painted) will suffice for the other one.  Apparently they've been posted this morning. Just a matter of something tallish for the Warwell - an Army bulldozer or some sort of military machinery/equipment would be nice:

DSC_0149red.jpg.6a871e16c4463c48adeac286977ea355.jpg

I got some Sonic RTR VEAs and Farish VDAs so should be able to form a military train.

• Like 7

I'm still thinking about a load for the Warwell. This front bucket loader (a Jap model - Tomytec, Maruka, or someone like that) is the right width but unfortunately a little too tall on a Warwell and a little light, which is a shame as the Army does have and use them and painting it green would be a nice little project. 

DSC_0150res.jpg.9acf42f9736d36b2d851d8aea09e685b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, ian said:

Deepen the slots for the wires so it sits another mm or two down?

A good idea, but there's only a tiny amount of room before the wheels would be up against the mud guards. And I can't move the mud guards up as they are tight up against the underside of the cab.  I did think about cutting down the cab but I guess that'd be tricky as it will involve cutting down the glazing and it is limited before it would impinge on the door.

Maybe a whole series of height lowering measures are needed. But I might be better to consider other options. I'm still keen on a GHQ dozer although that might be too wide and is proving difficult to track one down. I'll keep dreaming.

;-)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In Germany and Switzerland I have seen similar machines or Combine Harvesters loaded onto wagons where the cab is obviously detachable and this gives the necessary clearance. There are examples in one of the German  MIBA guides on loads for wagons https://shop.vgbahn.info/miba/shop/modellbahn+ladegüter+2-_3552.html, great booklets even if you can't read German. That edition also includes German tank wagons.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/01/2018 at 00:30, phil_sutters said:

have you ever used cable ties - the non-return type - for representing louvres?

Thanks for this suggestion, over two years ago. I have just downsized the Scalescenes Grain silo which is free with this months Hornby Magazine to N gauge. This requires four vents. The print on the reduced PDF was not fine enough but cable ties did the job.

Etched hand brake wheels for the bogies are included in the kit. But having painted them I think they look rather oversized. I'll have to see whether I've got any smaller that I can use. What do people think:

DSC00455red.jpg.deffb66e75a699b91f6891e3e1bc089b.jpg

1062783222_1warflatred.jpg.f3a286ff06982f7ba42109922d5ed4f9.jpg

• Agree 5

Damn, I haven't got enough six straight spoked wheels of a smaller size  - plenty of other types. The two not attached to an fret (centre bottom) are those supplied in the kit for comparison:

DSC00456.JPG.5bc617d403456c309d0f93bc32885711.JPG

I'm going to have to order some. The snag is that I actually require a quantity of twenty (the same size and type) but the etches tend to include a selection of types and sizes. This is the N Brass Loco option:

n23265wheelhandweb.gif.3eb225f6dc7e79a9e461250f97228c78.gif

It looks like there are only four 6-spoked ones that'd be suitable on the etch (in the third from top row) so I'd have to order five etched at over £20 (plus P&P). And I'm not sure the size is correct.

38 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

What diameter do you need and I’ll see what I’ve got in the spares box 

Many thanks, although I'm after 20. They need to be 3mm diameter (17") with six straight spokes. The ones in the kit are 4mm and match up with ones on one of my etches that are labelled 24". That 1mm reduction makes quite a difference.

As a last resort I'll have to consider using 3mm (17") diameter ones with five curved spokes - although typically I've only got 18 of those and would rather have the correct type.

• RMweb Premium

2B3476A5-BD0F-4A5A-A152-25E4E303613A.jpeg.c88a487bc64a7031404d0de598c5e09c.jpegHi Grahame

I have some 2.80mm diameter ones with six straight spokes and there are at least twenty of them as they are from some 2mm bogie etches that I’ve been using for my Freightliner flats.

If they are of use just PM me your address and I’ll get them in the post.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Today I've painted the wooden planked decks of the four wagons. Wood ages to a grey colour, rather than brown, as can be seen on this pic from Martyn Read's website: 

KFA_95288_MODA_Totton_310707a

Hopefully, I've been able to capture at least a bit of the variegated look and colour. When there are loads in place any inaccuracies will be less obvious:

DSC_0160red.jpg.ad5a748f046e524b80f780be23c48229.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1