50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

This morning we received the final CADs for the OO Warwells which we're pleased to share with you. We're very happy with how they're looking so far, with all variations in fittings, bogies etc covered.

Our research for these has included our own measurement and photo survey of surviving Warwell wagons alongside original Ministry of Supply drawings and a variety of images and information from other parties.

The next stage with these is the development of tooling which will start very soon. As ever, I'll put any updates we have here as soon as I have them.

If you're visiting the 70th Anniversary at our Hub over this weekend (see the separate thread!) we'll have higher res copies and full 3D CADs visible alongside development work on our past and present projects.

Let us know what you think! A full list of variations, liveries, running numbers etc is available at www.hattons.co.uk/warwell . The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that all the OO variations have had colour layouts added too.

Anyway, enough from me, I'll let the CADs do the talking....

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-89947600-1478692656_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-37817400-1478692657_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-80314700-1478692657_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-82808600-1478692658_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-82659900-1478692655_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-33781700-1478692656_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-50542100-1478692654_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-40908900-1478692655_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-45890400-1478692658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 16

Hi all,

This morning we received the final CADs for the OO Warwells which we're pleased to share with you. We're very happy with how they're looking so far, with all variations in fittings, bogies etc covered.

Our research for these has included our own measurement and photo survey of surviving Warwell wagons alongside original Ministry of Supply drawings and a variety of images and information from other parties.

The next stage with these is the development of tooling which will start very soon. As ever, I'll put any updates we have here as soon as I have them.

If you're visiting the 70th Anniversary at our Hub over this weekend (see the separate thread!) we'll have higher res copies and full 3D CADs visible alongside development work on our past and present projects.

Let us know what you think! A full list of variations, liveries, running numbers etc is available at www.hattons.co.uk/warwell . The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that all the OO variations have had colour layouts added too.

Anyway, enough from me, I'll let the CADs do the talking....

Cheers,

Dave

attachicon.gifww-001-006.jpg

attachicon.gifww-008-010.jpg

attachicon.gifww-011-012.jpg

attachicon.gifww-014-020.jpg

attachicon.gifww-001-006 side.jpg

attachicon.gifww-001-006 top.jpg

attachicon.gifww-001-006 details.jpg

attachicon.gifww-001-006 end.jpg

attachicon.gifww-014-020 bogie.jpg

Any chance of these in N Gauge to go with the other 2 scales,I would have thought they would be very popular?

IF anyone wants to know how tanks were transported during WW2 they should look for a secondhand VHS video called "MT 8  Tanks by Train"  -  ALTHOUGH THIS SHOWS WAR FLATS BEING USED.  This was a series of short wartime instructional films from the IWM (Imperial  War Museum) archives released ONLY on VHS by Beulah Video.  

Beulah did various collections in the "MT" series, but all seem unavailable now.  (IF anyone finds a copy of "Sapper Tasks" for sale, please let me know.)

The video contained short films showing the preparation of tanks (Covenators) for transport and the loading by fixed end ramp, and loading/unloading by a ramp wagon in detail.  There is a short film at the end about preparing and loading Churchills (Mark III ???) showing the removal of the side ventilators and just how tight the tolerances were.

Whilst NOT about Warwells, almost all of it will help anyone trying to model their usage in WW2.

I understand that the basic films are available to view at the IWM (by appointment).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just to keep you all in the loop with these. We've now approved the CAD designs for the OO gauge Warwells and the tooling has been started. With these completed, the O gauge CADs are now under development.

Work on Warwells in Widnes (see what I did there?) is now concentrated on the colour layouts, and its these we could do with your assistance on.

We are looking for some specific info if anyone has it:
1. War Department Registration numbers and corresponding running numbers.
2. Build locations for the wagons, we have the running numbers that were built by the SR but we have no indications which were built by Gloucester and which by Head Wrightson.
3. A list of original running numbers and what they became (MODA or BR numbers)

If you can fill a few gaps for us, please let me know either here or via email at info@hattons.co.uk

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-17661900-1480003240_thumb.png

• Like 6

Hello Dave

Great news that Hattons' have commissioned this often asked for modern wagon.  I hope to be purchasing several when they hit the shop next year.

Could you confirm for me please whether the 1990's versions will include the widened decks above the Gloucester GPS bogies which are a feature of all the 1990's refurbished wagons?

Best Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Dave

Thanks for showing us your Warwell samples.   They do look very, very good

However, the decks are not yet correct for the post refurbish versions with the Gloucester bogies. 

I'm not able to post photos from this device, but have a look at Paul Bartletts' site to compare photos of Warwells from the 80's and onwards.   The deck has been widened to include protection over the buffers too.

Best Regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, a few points thus far:

However, the decks are not yet correct for the post refurbish versions with the Gloucester bogies. 

I'm not able to post photos from this device, but have a look at Paul Bartletts' site to compare photos of Warwells from the 80's and onwards.   The deck has been widened to include protection over the buffers too.

Hi Andy. Although the physical difference is minimal, adding the second deck style would have significantly increased the sales price as a second chassis would be required to accommodate the strengthening bars, so this is something that we haven't been able to include. 

I take it you are going to remove the vac cylinder from the modern version?

Hi Brian. Yes! The vac pipe itself will remain (as the vehicles remained through piped) but the erroneously fitted Vac Cylinder won't be present.

As the latest variants are used to transport Warrior AFVs (which have to be lifted above the height of a platform to get them in gauge) are these being supplied with the Warrior transport ramps?

Ian_B

Hi Ian. There's no plans at the moment to produce these as the post-1970s Warflats are used more commonly for other military equipment so it isn't currently viable for us to tool them up.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

I have been told that this tracklayer (Southern Region, possibly Wimbledon, with late crest Q1) ;

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00000-bob-hind-engineering-4L.jpg

Is a modification of a War Well  -  can people confirm this ?

Warwells were used as the basis for several rail cranes, some of which are in this collection http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtwinjibcrane

Warwells had many different post war uses including viaduct inspection http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brviaductinspection

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave those look smashing - many thanks for sharing

That screw link coupling looks like a solid moulding - can I ask how a tension lock coupling fares with that in place pelase?

Kind regards

Phil

Appears to be DCC Concepts flex bullhead track.  Flanges in closeup appear to be just skimming the inside chair tops. Bumpy ride? From pix of samples it might run a bit smoother on the PECO version.  Or change the wheels.