BRM at Sainsburys?

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Just curious really but do BRM deal with Sainsburys?

At North Walsham they went through a phase of displaying BRM with the "best sellers" about as far as you can get from the relevant section where the other 3 of the big 4 live.

Then suddenly it stopped. No BRM. Must be nearly a year now since it's been on the shelves. Im in there weekly and see all the other 3 regularly so I'm confident I'm not just missing it.

Anyone care to satisfy my curiosity?

Magazines  are  usually  distributed  to  retailers  by  a  local  wholesaler, not  the  actual publisher,  from  time  to  time    companies such  as  JS carry out ' range  reviews'  across   various  sectors  of  their  trade  to  monitor  how  products  are  selling  and  if  it  is  proving   profitable  to   retain  them in the  stores,  ie  if something  is  not  making a profit  for  the   amount  of  shelf  space  it  occupies, then that  product  will be  delisted.

Stores  also  have  a grading  system, which means  that  some  products will not  be  found  in  smaller  stores,  sometimes a fast selling  product ( ie profitable) will be  extended to be  ranged in  the smaller  stores   and  vice  versa

• Administrators

Magazines  are  usually  distributed  to  retailers  by  a  local  wholesaler, not  the  actual publisher,  from  time  to  time    companies such  as  JS carry out ' range  reviews'  across   various  sectors  of  their  trade  to  monitor  how  products  are  selling  and  if  it  is  proving   profitable  to   retain  them in the  stores,  ie  if something  is  not  making a profit  for  the   amount  of  shelf  space  it  occupies, then that  product  will be  delisted.

Stores  also  have  a grading  system, which means  that  some  products will not  be  found  in  smaller  stores,  sometimes a fast selling  product ( ie profitable) will be  extended to be  ranged in  the smaller  stores   and  vice  versa

Stevelewis is bang-on here.

If a magazine is shown in a promotional area, such as 'Best Sellers' or in a display 'box' it usually means that they have paid for that promotion and to appear in an extra number of stores. 

BRM is stocked in a significant number of Sainsburys stores but not all of them - it must be that your store is one that the magazine doesn't appear in.

I noticed  that  BRM  did appear  in  some  Tesco stores  i was  doing  some  checks  in  a few  months  or  more ago, but  then appeared to be  deleted,  I am  afraid  that  the  only Model Railway mag  that  seems to be listed  now  is  the  one  from  Devon,  although I honestly  don't  know  why,  when  the  content  therof is perused!!

Just  to clarify I  don't  do any work in the  Magazine  sections  ( but  it  is  handy  to  have  a  little bit  of  a  read)

Just curious really but do BRM deal with Sainsburys?

At North Walsham they went through a phase of displaying BRM with the "best sellers" about as far as you can get from the relevant section where the other 3 of the big 4 live.

Then suddenly it stopped. No BRM. Must be nearly a year now since it's been on the shelves. Im in there weekly and see all the other 3 regularly so I'm confident I'm not just missing it.

Anyone care to satisfy my curiosity?

You'll have to shop at JS Longwater (Costessey), Colin.

• RMweb Gold

You'll have to shop at JS Longwater (Costessey), Colin.

Thanks but I was simply expressing an interest in the decision process. I don't really buy BRM and if I did I would get it from the newsagents. Certainly wouldn't go out of my way to the far side of the City where I never go.

I'm not sure but if it is I doubt it's next to the MRJ the publishers of which are unaware of the modern concept of the 'super market' ;)

Griff

Most supermarket trolleys fail to meet coarse scale standards let alone the lovely engineering finesse found in MRJ. To its credit my local WHS in Redditch stocks an extensive range of rail and modelling rail magazines, including MRJ.

My local "big" Sainsbugs has BRM as well as Hornby, Model Rail and Railway Modeller.  They also seem to stock a representative range of 1:1 scale mags too.  MRJ does not make an appearance (the place is probably too coarse for their refined sensibilities!).  The smaller store about 2 miles away mainly stocks childrens comics and knitting pattern/lurid lurve story mags.

Archived