Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

Hi Larry  I know you've been looking for a Ivatt 2-6-0, there is the BR 78xxx version on ebay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-FINESCALE-O-GAUGE-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-STD-CLASS-2-78030-HEAVILY-WEATHERED-/222295952688?hash=item33c1df0d30:g:NiQAAOSwcLxYEoP8

Thanks Ian, I have looked at that sight and chatted by phone ot the owner last week, so I think I have got what I was looking for.

No vac and steam pipes today so photography is held over until next tuesday. The 97xx Pannier is now sound-fitted and i went around to PGH's to collect it. He has done a wonderful job of installation and of replacing the main handrails and knobs. The loco did a stint on his colliery layout moving coal and easily negotiated the 3fr radius curves and points. No buffer locking either. 

Plates are needed now for this and an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, but Guilplates still hasn't got a website so I cannot see what exactly is available. I need 9681 and 46512 plus some 89A shed plates.

http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk

Try Severn mill, the smoke box door plates are a lot better than guilplates plus you get the full

Set for the ivatt ( about 12 plates in total )

If your after replacement vac and steam pipes Warren shepherd does a nice selection of castings

http://www.warrenshephard.com

Thanks .  The Pannier is listed but sadly not 46512.

No vac and steam pipes today so photography is held over until next tuesday. The 97xx Pannier is now sound-fitted and i went around to PGH's to collect it. He has done a wonderful job of installation and of replacing the main handrails and knobs. The loco did a stint on his colliery layout moving coal and easily negotiated the 3fr radius curves and points. No buffer locking either. 

Plates are needed now for this and an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, but Guilplates still hasn't got a website so I cannot see what exactly is available. I need 9681 and 46512 plus some 89A shed plates.

Hi Coachman,

You might find that Narrow Planet will be able to help.........

I've got a few pannier sets on order with them, you choose the number and shed code and they put them on their next set of etchings. I think the wait is about 3 - 4 weeks.

Here is their website:   http://narrowplanet.co.uk/

Hope that helps

Jinty ;)

Hi Larry

Guilplates are made to order so you just ask for what you want.

Ian

Plates ordered on Sunday from Narrow Planet after reading good reports.

What has 00 gauge, a J15, D16, Gresley and Thompson suburbans got in common?  They all arrived here this morning for various renumbering and weathering but never fear; my dyslexia did not manage to mix GWR with GER. They're for a good friend who is building a neat BR East Anglian BLT. 

More pertinents to this thread was the arrival of an 0 gauge Bachmann Brass LMS Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-0. I can't say I have a soft spot for these locos, but they took over the Llanfyllyn services from around 1953, so it was a necessity.  PGH has it at the moment to transfer the Locoman decoder from the 4mm 8F to it. 

I've a soft spot for the Ivatt 2MT, I nearly bought a Green Bachmann one when I was doing O Gauge, they are rather nice, looking forward to hearing it with Sound Larry.

Same here. Locoman's 8F decoder is the best yet IMO. Some remedial work is necessary on the body and I intend shortening the return crank, then it will be outshopped in BR lined black as No.46512.

• RMweb Gold

Very picky of me, I know.

But since you can see those levers so clearly, it would be good if they were painted the right colours. Generally the yellows at the ends, then the reds, and the blacks in the middle (all because it makes the interlocking much simpler). I guess that you will have a signal box diagram for Oswestry from which you can get it exact.

I'm blowed if i noticed how the colours went when i went in signal boxes, so thanks for the advice. No I haven't a SB diagram for Oswestry. I suppose people with knowledge of signalling and signal boxes will be slightly irritated with people like me for whom incorrectness isn't a problem. But armed with knowledge, I will see what can be done. One image I've seen shows from left to right : 

1 yellow, 2 red, 1 white, 1 black, 2 red and about 9 white.

What a Gem indeed, Mike the Stationmaster should be able to advise further on the Signal Box Diagram, I'm really envious of that beauty, and it's detail.

Or the Cambrian Society at Oswestry Station?  Yes, the interior detail is stunning - isn't that part of the Gauge O attraction?

• RMweb Premium

The vac and steam pipes arrived today from Malcolm Binns and were duly soldered in place, primed and painted. They give the coach a finished look now except for the missing corridor handrail. Try as I might, I could not find a way of painting one or fitting one.....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 24.jpg

It was quite dark until dinnertime and now at dusk we have blue sky and pink clouds....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 23.jpg

If it's not too difficult, can you please post a photo or two of the corridor, inside, I have one or two ideas, but it would help to have a look see.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Funny things signals boxes there were some where the lever frame was against the windows whereas some others had the frame behind so the signalman had his back to the trains as he pulled them off. The Cambrain used Duttons for a period these had a funny shape not your normal quadrant frame. However the chances are that somewhere like Oswestry would have been resignalled at some stage by the GWR with a GWR box like the model.

A typical layout of levers starting from the left might be the Distant from the left approach followed by the outer home so yellow then red then maybe and advanced starter to depart to the left again red in the middle would be the home signals point levers ground signal platform starters before having an advance starter, outer home,distant for the right hand side. White levers are spare. You can also have levers for release of crossing gates or ground frames.

That signalman will cope it if the others who share operation of that box see him. Handling the levers without a duster Tut Tut.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I see your dilemma and non of my ideas would work as the access is too restricted. Sorry

I don't suppose soldering a long 'goal post to the floor (or goal posts if required) and then have them resting against the glazing once the floor and body are reunited would work?

I don't suppose soldering a long 'goal post to the floor (or goal posts if required) and then have them resting against the glazing once the floor and body are reunited would work?

As a full time carriage builder, you can bet I tried everything possible. The handrail was not continuous and needed three separate sections. Rather than cock the glazing up trying to glue each one in place with all perfectly in line, I just didn't bother. In anycase, by this stage my eye was beginning to 'see in 7mm scale' and I had realised the coach was not even proportionally accurate. Future coaches will be built in house.

• RMweb Gold

Funny things signals boxes there were some where the lever frame was against the windows whereas some others had the frame behind so the signalman had his back to the trains as he pulled them off. The Cambrain used Duttons for a period these had a funny shape not your normal quadrant frame. However the chances are that somewhere like Oswestry would have been resignalled at some stage by the GWR with a GWR box like the model.

A typical layout of levers starting from the left might be the Distant from the left approach followed by the outer home so yellow then red then maybe and advanced starter to depart to the left again red in the middle would be the home signals point levers ground signal platform starters before having an advance starter, outer home,distant for the right hand side. White levers are spare. You can also have levers for release of crossing gates or ground frames.

That signalman will cope it if the others who share operation of that box see him. Handling the levers without a duster Tut Tut.

Don

One (the north) end of Oswestry was fairly comprehensively resignalled by the GWR by the 1930s if photos are any guide and it is likely that both ends were dealt with.

On a matter of pedantry the GWR did not have Outer Home Signals or, to be more precise did not use that term to describe such signals although it does appear in some pre-1914 documents.

• RMweb Gold

So only Oswestry South had any yellow levers!

I can't see the SRS diagram all that well on this computer but I think Mike has picked up on all the distants for Oswestry North being fixed and therefore no yellow levers at all to be modelled.

Of course the diagram from the real Oswestry only takes us so far as the model layout is very much simplified. So perhaps best to start from first principles to work out what the numbering of the levers should be and their colours.

Edit to add: Only just noticed that you have a level crossing wheel and two lever locks (blue) for wicket gates in there, none of which should be there in relation to Oswestry North.

I can't see the SRS diagram all that well on this computer but I think Mike has picked up on all the distants for Oswestry North being fixed and therefore no yellow levers at all to be modelled.

Of course the diagram from the real Oswestry only takes us so far as the model layout is very much simplified. So perhaps best to start from first principles to work out what the numbering of the levers should be and their colours.

Edit to add: Only just noticed that you have a level crossing wheel and two lever locks (blue) for wicket gates in there, none of which should be there in relation to Oswestry North.

Don't let it worry you Joseph. As mentioned earlier, the signal box was a generous gift for which I am extremely grateful, and I doubt I will alter the interior even if this lack of positivity upsets the purists. 

• RMweb Gold

Joseph,

The SRS on line diagrams are very low resolution and only give a basic outline.

I posted the links merely to give followers of Larry's thread an idea of the full sized Oswestry signalling scheme.

Those for sale on the CD are high quality and are in .pdf format so can be enlarged and printed with no loss of quality.

Fwiw, I find that they are only a part of the real picture and are often much better understood if looked at with contemporary photographs, and the Cooke series of track plans pertinent to the area.

I am really enjoying this thread because it just shows how much you can do in a short time frame when you are prepared to bit the 7mm bullet and throw yourself whole heartedly into the conversion.

Larry's comment about getting the feel of the size in 7mm scale is very true as I am slowly beginning to find with my tentative and rather meagre steps in 'upscaling'.

Archived