Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

Thanks to Marshall5, a SanCheng 14XX is winging it's way to me even as I type. That's the Gobowen shuttle sorted. By the way, has anyone a photo of the Lionheart/Dapol GWR Auto Trailer they could post please?

Andy P, If a 3am track plan still looks good a 2pm in the afternoon, it must be a good 'un. Run with it.

Yikes.....12 pages and I ain't laid any track yet.  What is happening......?

Thanks to Marshall5, a SanCheng 14XX is winging it's way to me even as I type. That's the Gobowen shuttle sorted. By the way, has anyone a photo of the Lionheart/Dapol GWR Auto Trailer they could post please?

Andy P, If a 3am track plan still looks good a 2pm in the afternoon, it must be a good 'un. Run with it.

Yikes.....12 pages and I ain't laid any track yet. What is happening......?

Surely we should be at the 'ripping the track up' stage by now......

I cant see that happening much with ''O'' to much cost involved I recon, besides Larry wants hear Trains running now.

I think you're right Andy.

However, I would have been perfectly happy with most of the 00 layouts - each seems to have got to an interesting stage then replaced- but if you're not happy with something then there's no point continuing (I am a master at procrastination!)

Larry, is this photo of one on Cwm Bach any use?  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/page-16

There are others on Tower's site under Dapol but it doesn't look like they intend re-running the 'blood and custard' version.  There was a good article on improving the model (apparently some of the beading is incorrect post WW1) in MRJ a couple of years ago - maybe issue 221 (2013). Glad you got fixed up with a 14xx. I got mine as an incomplete body and frames only which Randolph described as the 'sweepings from the floor' when he was clearing out the factory. Cost me all of $120 IIRC.  I rebuilt the frames and fitted a Finescale Brass motor/gearbox with JPL cast iron wheels.  The most difficult bit was replacing the missing cab roof and getting the rolled over edges correct. I also removed the incorrect lever reverse and fitted a Warren Shepherd screw type. 

Cheers,

Ray.

P.S.  I just checked MRJ - it is issue 221 p65-71 and is a follow on article by Barry Norman from his original review of the Lionheart model in MRJ 212 p13-14. The model is based on a diag N (59'6") trailer of 1906 and numbered 36-41.  No 38 survives on the Dean Forest Railway.

I had hoped to restore the SanCheng/Tower Brass finish but it carried lining transfers (ugh) which isn't well done.  It will be weeks before paint stripping is carried out (I'll attend to detailing at that point), but were any of the 14XX's carrying lined green at Oswestry say around 1957-8? It's a livery I generally prefer to see ex GWR engines in, but I am not adverse to plain black if it is historically correct for an area. Once the livery is established I can order plates.

Guest Q663368

The Sidelines kit for an LMS D1899 corridor third completed so far, (details of construction on my coachmanns W.B. thread). The lost wax screw couplings don't look too strong to me, so i am hoping someone can direct me to a good strong brass screw coupling...

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm coach 25.jpg

For your consideration. If you are to run fixed rakes of corridor coaches I would recommend use MagiClic couplings for the inboard ones. Trying to couple screw links under corridor connections with all of the piping is a royal pain. The rare earth magnets are polarized so you need to think about orientation. I have fitted these couplings to a total of sixteen Sideles coaches, a rake of ex LMS Stanier Period 3 & 4 plus a Thompson Corr set. Also did my friends three coach GWR corridor set. You can couple up on the fly. Simply replace the screw link with the MagiClic. You have to open up the slot a little.

Usually disclaimer, no connection just a happy coupler.

Larry

My own research on the Oswestry-Gobowen 14XXs for the time period strongly suggest black unlined paint.  That is what I have opted for 1459 (and no top feed for that model).  But comments above do suggest that boiler changes and inevitable re-paints could have occurred around 1957/8.  And I am now leaning toward the JLTRT auto trailer in maroon as I feel sure that was the colour de jour back then.

I wonder if it was only Swindon that got away with lined green for 14XXs; perhaps Wolverhampton and Oswestry Works followed the BR diktats???

I just found a quite useful video on the 14XX class on u-tube.  I screen grabbed 1466's front buffer beam as it could save me a trip to Didcot in January.  (By the way, parking at Didcot can be very expensive, particularly if you follow the signs.  Volunteers tend to park their cars for free at the supermarket across from the station and then move them every two hours.  The society has been unable to get any concessions on parking, even for its own volunteers).

I had hoped to restore the SanCheng/Tower Brass finish but it carried lining transfers (ugh) which isn't well done.  It will be weeks before paint stripping is carried out (I'll attend to detailing at that point), but were any of the 14XX's carrying lined green at Oswestry say around 1957-8? It's a livery I generally prefer to see ex GWR engines in, but I am not adverse to plain black if it is historically correct for an area. Once the livery is established I can order plates.

Glad that you got fixed up. AFAIK all the Tower Brass 14xx's were supplied with the bodies in brass finish. Mine was black but I suspect it could have been a prototype/sample which was why it was not sent to Tower but remained at the factory. As regards liveries I believe that 1458 was in lined green with the old 'cycling lion' crest so it was probably one of the first repainted after the Western Region changed its policy around 1956 - although it didn't arrive at Oswestry until c.1958. I'll have a look to confirm and see if any more were in green around this time. I don't think that green for lesser classes was restricted to Swindon repaints - certainly Caerphilly used green with its signature red reach rods. Around 1962/3 I saw a 75xxx fresh off Oswestry works and standing on the middle road - the smell of hot paint (green) was quite overpowering!

Cheers,

Ray.

For your consideration. If you are to run fixed rakes of corridor coaches I would recommend use MagiClic couplings for the inboard ones. Trying to couple screw links under corridor connections with all of the piping is a royal pain. The rare earth magnets are polarized so you need to think about orientation. I have fitted these couplings to a total of sixteen Sideles coaches, a rake of ex LMS Stanier Period 3 & 4 plus a Thompson Corr set. Also did my friends three coach GWR corridor set. You can couple up on the fly. Simply replace the screw link with the MagiClic. You have to open up the slot a little.

I am intrigued. Have you photographed them? 

Glad of the Profiles Video link. The only 14XX I saw in steam days was when we passed one drifting towards Mold Junction MPD, therefore I was in two minds whether to get one or a 64XX. However, now the San Cheng has arrived it is the best purchase I ever made. Put simply, I love it. 

I've got a shot of 1458 at Oswestry in 1963 in plain black with out top feed

Sorry Steve but I have to disagree.  In 1963 1458 was definitely lined green with the old crest (as in post 281) - it may have appeared black under the filth but it was green right up to withdrawal from Gloucester in late '64. I'm not just relying on memory, but have a slide in front of me, taken on 16/7/63, of 1458, with W&L 'Earl', at Welshpool exchange sidings and it has been cleaned for the occasion.  If you want to check look on the Colour Rail site. Image15316 albeit B&W shows 1458 at Oswestry in 1960 and the lining is clearly.visible.

Ray.

I have a set of five MagiClic set aside for my 6 carriage Midlander rake, with standard screw couplings at each end. If I hadn't known about them I would have probably used Kadees now that they are available in Gauge O.

Guest Q663368

Magclic couplings are available from

www.modelrailwaywagons.co.uk

There is a video showing their use on the website.

Highly recommended

Guest Q663368

It occurs to me the screw couplings could still be hung from this magnetic bar to preserve appearances when in a siding.

M&M Models are in the process of producing a clic-on three link coupler for these couplings. Not sure if they will be available at Reading next weekend. These products sell very fast but new stocks are usually available in about four weeks.

• RMweb Premium

That 14xx is much better than I had realised. The one area I've never liked on the San Cheng is the shape of the cab windows - I think I'm being incredibly picky but its part of the character for me and they could do with opening up a fraction at the top. Also if you are stripping it and repainting that top feed is a slightly odd shape and might be worth replacing.

Enjoying the thread - although unfortunately I've found surfing rmweb is a good excuse to do even less actual modelling than I was to start with!

Larry

Does the San Cheng 14XX come with the auto train gear?  If not, the lost wax brass castings are available from Peter Roles.  His web page isn't available at the moment (peteroles.co.uk).

Paul

It carries the auto gear. I will extend some of the plumbing at back and front ends once it is strpped of paint. I'm glad Hal Nail mentioned the windows, otherwise I might have forgotten to remove the glazing before stripping the paint.

Larry, in my earlier post I forgot to mention that I added the battery boxes (from Warren Shepherd) behind the driver's side footsteps. I don't know whether mine was a one-off but the top lamp bracket on the bunker wasn't a GW 'sideways' type.  In the end I left mine as I didn't want to damage the paint but really I should have changed it.

Cheers,

Ray.

Larry, in my earlier post I forgot to mention that I added the battery boxes (from Warren Shepherd) behind the fireman's side footsteps. I don't know whether mine was a one-off but the top lamp bracket on the bunker wasn't a GW 'sideways' type.  In the end I left mine as I didn't want to damage the paint but really I should have changed it.

Cheers,

Ray.

Thanks for that Ray. You are right, the bunker top lamp bracket is not a GWR type. Is Warren Sheppard a trading name? I will need a batterybox.

Thanks for that Ray. You are right, the bunker top lamp bracket is not a GWR type. Is Warren Sheppard a trading name? I will need a batterybox.

Hi Larry, try  warrenshephard.com    Tel 01766 770739   

I have a large prairie kit of his on my pile, and the castings are excellent (some from other suppliers though)

Regards, Deano.

I've just noticed that I posted "fireman's side"  when I should have said "driver's side".   Yes, Warren Shephard is a trader producing quality etched kits and lost wax fittings http://www.warrenshephard.com/

Cheers,

Ray.

Archived