New modelling Magazine

David Bigcheeseplant

I have obtained the December and January issues of the free Railway Magazine Guide to Modelling and it does contain some useful information. It looks like it is being distributed through model shops and the list of model shops on page 37 of the January issue is helpful.

Without it I would not have known about the Marklin Warship to add to my post about model Warship diesels.

It is going to add to my magazine mountain in my flat. Cluttering my home, unable to sell them but too good to throw away.

I have obtained the December and January issues of the free Railway Magazine Guide to Modelling and it does contain some useful information. It looks like it is being distributed through model shops and the list of model shops on page 37 of the January issue is helpful.

Without it I would not have known about the Marklin Warship to add to my post about model Warship diesels.

It is going to add to my magazine mountain in my flat. Cluttering my home, unable to sell them but too good to throw away.

Really? It's been pretty well covered in other magazines over the years, but it was never what one could call 'widely available'. Marklin produced a couple of Bulleid coaches to run with it. It was one of several vain attempts to move the UK to 'HO' scale, the other significant one being the the Rivarossi 'Royal Scot'. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Really? It's been pretty well covered in other magazines over the years, but it was never what one could call 'widely available'. Marklin produced a couple of Bulleid coaches to run with it. It was one of several vain attempts to move the UK to 'HO' scale, the other significant one being the the Rivarossi 'Royal Scot'. (CJL)

Was that Marklin? I knew Fleischmann produced a warship and some Bulleid coaches (and very good they were for their time) but this is the first I've heard of Marklin. Converting the UK was a long shot to start with, trying to get UK modellers to switch to 3 rail HO would've been a complete non-starter I think.

Was that Marklin? I knew Fleischmann produced a warship and some Bulleid coaches (and very good they were for their time) but this is the first I've heard of Marklin. Converting the UK was a long shot to start with, trying to get UK modellers to switch to 3 rail HO would've been a complete non-starter I think.

Yes indeed. Actually two versions; the Marklin one for their stud-contact system and one branded as Hamo for normal 2-rail pick-up.

Poorly dimensioned model which didn't capture that "Warship" look. Think they had rectangular buffers too, which basically sums up how inaccurate they were.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

I don't think Marklin produced any coaches to go with their Class 42 Warship. They made D830 Majestic in BR green in 2-rail and 3-rail versions. I think you are confusing Marklin with Fleischmann. More firms seem to have made model Warships than any other model. It is a pity that H0 gauge never succeeded.

• RMweb Premium

If Fleischmann had managed their excursion into British HO a little better who knows what might have happened. I never realised Marklin had tried a Warship too. The Fleischmann Bulleid coaches were excellent for their day and I believe the plan was to produce an HO Bulleid pacific to accompany them. The fact that it ended up as a range of a Warship and some nice but pretty much useless to most people Bulleid coaches meant that the models were dead in the water although they lingered on shelves for a long, long time. These days its a sterile argument but I believe there was a window of opportunity to really try and make British HO work during the 1980's when the demise of Mainline saw the improvements made in OO fora few years stall as European HO continued to get better and better. Until the mid-late 90's the difference between British OO and European HO was almost embarrassing.

• RMweb Premium

I'd never heard of the Marklin Warship. It's not clear was this just the German Diesel reliveried? I knew of the the Fleischmann model and of the Rivarossi Royal Scot but never seen this mentioned in a magazine. Very interesting

Unfortunately I've still not seen this magazine. Not sure how it can be distributed up here in Glasgow as there's not that many model shops around .

I'd never heard of the Marklin Warship. It's not clear was this just the German Diesel reliveried? I knew of the the Fleischmann model and of the Rivarossi Royal Scot but never seen this mentioned in a magazine. Very interesting

Unfortunately I've still not seen this magazine. Not sure how it can be distributed up here in Glasgow as there's not that many model shops around .

No, it (the Marklin/Hamo) was a new model.

Flieschman made both the Warship, and Bulleid coaches to go with it, rather an odd choice perhaps?

Excellent for the time, but in HO, so I guess they were ultimately doomed to fail?

I've not seen any Marklin British stuff at all?

Edited by BlackRat

British HO was a commercial non starter. The ship had set sail and sank without trace well before Lima, Fleischmann, Marklin and Roco even tried it.

Everything was set up for 4MM scale. Hundreds of kits as well as RTR. If anything people would be more likely to ditch the track and go finescale rather than change scale.

It was a pity Rivarossi didn't go for OO instead as they had planned on making the full set of 1920s LMS Royal Scot coaches.

Jason

I don't think Marklin produced any coaches to go with their Class 42 Warship. They made D830 Majestic in BR green in 2-rail and 3-rail versions. I think you are confusing Marklin with Fleischmann. More firms seem to have made model Warships than any other model. It is a pity that H0 gauge never succeeded.

You're right. It was Fleischmann, of course. My memory is not what it was. In which case a Marklin 'Warship' is news to me, too. (CJL)

Yes indeed. Actually two versions; the Marklin one for their stud-contact system and one branded as Hamo for normal 2-rail pick-up.

Poorly dimensioned model which didn't capture that "Warship" look. Think they had rectangular buffers too, which basically sums up how inaccurate they were.

It looks like they plonked a Warship body on to an existing HO scale V200 chassis. This would explain the dodgy proportions (a V200 being a bit wider than their British cousins) and the buffers. 

Edited by pete_mcfarlane

From the October 1967 Railway Modeller:

"The first Marklin British design locomotive for 16.5mm gauge is a model of the Western region "Warship" diesel. It is available as a Marklin 20V AC three-rail or Hamo 12V DC model. Our sample is the latter type.

The performance is superb, ample power at all speeds, slow running included. The finish is excellent, and even minor points, like the lighting, are properly carried out, as only the forward-going end is illuminated. The power bogie is ingeniously pivoted low down to avoid any tipping moment under power. It is therefore a great pity that it is to such a nondescript scale. The length is correct for 3.5mm scale, the width is slightly too much for 4mm scale and the height is somewhere in between. It appears an attempt has been made to fit an HO British body over a mechanism designed for the larger continental load gauge.

Fortunately, the height and width do allow the model to match reasonably well with British stock, though the proportions of the prototype have been lost. Had it been to the standard 4mm scale, it would have been outstanding. In spite of this it makes an interesting addition to your loco stud."

The price is quoted as £6/10/0 - for comparison purposes, the similarly scaled (if that's the right word in this context) Trix 2-car Trans-Pennine DMU was advertised the same month at £8/2/5.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well if this new magazine has done nothing else it has educated a few of us about Marklin's British model ☺

Something to keep in mind is that dimensional compromises are very common in HO European models. For many years coaches were routinely modelled at a 1/100 scale length (and sometimes still are by German manufacturers) and rather than follow the market into true 1/87 coaches Fleischmann invented a new compromise of 1/93. The European producers have often compromised on width to get a prototypical bogie - body interface that can operate on set track curves. Despite the generally higher standards of European HO models, dimensional accuracy is perhaps the one area where OO was ahead. Some HO producers were also very slow to drop pizza cutter wheel flanges.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it contain an historical article about Bassett Lowke? If it does, I think I know who is, at least partly, behind it.

K

I picked up a copy of the second (January) issue last week; this includes an article about Bassett Lowke.  It's not bad for a magazine that's free to the reader, though I'd say that most articles are aimed at those starting out in the hobby.  The article this month on Pempoul was good, it's a shame that only three pages were dedicated to it, while there were eight pages dedicated to reviews of Bachmann products.

The best thing about the new magazine is that it's distributed through model shops - putting inspirational content into the hands of newcomers to the hobby has got to be a good thing.

....For many years coaches were routinely modelled at a 1/100 scale length (and sometimes still are by German manufacturers) and rather than follow the market into true 1/87 coaches Fleischmann invented a new compromise of 1/93. ...

Fleischmann also came out with either 1:82 or 1:85 scale for some of their engines, e.g. the Br.50

...Some HO producers were also very slow to drop pizza cutter wheel flanges.

Roco still use them.

I picked up a copy of the second (January) issue last week; this includes an article about Bassett Lowke.  It's not bad for a magazine that's free to the reader, though I'd say that most articles are aimed at those starting out in the hobby.  The article this month on Pempoul was good, it's a shame that only three pages were dedicated to it, while there were eight pages dedicated to reviews of Bachmann products.

The best thing about the new magazine is that it's distributed through model shops - putting inspirational content into the hands of newcomers to the hobby has got to be a good thing.

I got my copy free with Railway Magazine a couple of days ago. I found it very interesting and a good read, lots of useful information on suppliers such as a long list by county. Some but certainly not all of it aimed at newcomers, nice article on 3D printing which is something I know little about. I hope it continues and the proprietors can find enough outlets for it, I assume it is supported by advertisers. Great start anyway, well done.

Edward

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was given the February issue yesterday.

Not at all sure about the business model. Definitely aimed at beginners, from the style of article, but distributed through model world. Not sure that is going to work.

Not impressed by the paper but what do you expect for free.

Three page review of the Bachmann Hawksworth Autotrailer with big pics. Three more on the Bachmann SR PMV. More big pics but no prototype pic this time. Four on the Hornby Peckett (green no 11).

Eight pages on a layout owned by Gainsborough Model Railway Society, entitled "Travel from London to Leeds in a schoolroom . . ." The article includes numerous little boxes with relevant information.

An article called "Help! (I need somebody) Help! (not just anybody) Help! (you know I need someone) Help!" by Bernard Gudgin and Michael Watts  which seems to be talking would be modellers through questions they will probably have.

An article exploring why we like miniature things, and particularly railways.

An article on collectors' clubs

"The Dava line in winter . . ."

Three pages of small print on where you can pick up a  free copy

A four page article about Hornby Dublo

One page on Falkirk exhibition last November (!!!)

Where's my expert - a list of model shops (experts?) - someone please tell them Essex is not in mid Wales

Two pages with a photo each of six layouts (one actually modern image - - - - Japanese)

What are NEM-362 coupling pockets?

Box: Asking daft questions about 3D printing

Places to visit - Mevagissey

Hardly even a nod to the post BR steam period.

A lot of ideas used up in one issue, which makes me wonder when they will run out.

Not my cup of tea, then I didn't expect it to be, but I suspect that it will go down well at club.

But do we need another mag and will it just undermine the rest by spreading a pretty thin advertising cake even further?

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Yes I'm totally puzzled by the existence of this magazine. I suppose if a new modeller picks it up and is encouraged then that's fine, but will they be interested in Hornby Dublo or the Falkirk Exhibition? Seems confused marketing to me

I'm confused - have there been three issues already?  Some subscribers appear to be getting this publication with their Railway Magazine - but I've never had any of the three issues included with mine.

The only time I've seen it was at Ian Allan, Waterloo - which I guess can be classed as a model shop.  There are no model shops within my area and I seldom take in shows, so I'm unlikely to find it in the normal course of events.  Likewise on the odd occasions I've bought models via mail order, the retailer has not included a copy.

I can't say I'm likely to lose sleep over not being able to access it.

• RMweb Gold

The only time I've seen it was at Ian Allan, Waterloo - which I guess can be classed as a model shop.

Last week, Hannants at Colindale had a large pile of copies. The guy running the shop seemed surprised they'd even received any copies, pointing out that they don't sell model trains.