Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Having seen pictures of 87002 in InterCity Swallow livery on WNXX, I wonder if Hornby will include it in the next batch of liveries?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Having seen pictures of 87002 in InterCity Swallow livery on WNXX, I wonder if Hornby will include it in the next batch of liveries?

Lets get 87002 in CS first... thats been a very long wait, though as its been repainted now I guess, if others are to go by, it will suddenly arrive soon.

86101 is also in Intercity Swallow livery too.

if 90001 / 2 do the same, and with 47828  too in Intercity livery, lets assume a mk3 set could follow... its quite an interesting time coming for mainline railtours... if they do an Intercity mk3 set.. sone as intercity pullmans would be nice ;-)

in other news in 28th March will see the first class 58 working in the UK in 18 years !

What we need now is a mk2 set with Regional Railways on one side, NSE on the other to give extra fun!

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't quite see Hornby producing 87002 in IC Swallow when 87010 has already been produced in the same livery. The modellers out there who really want to model 87002 as she is now can purchase 87010 & do a simple renumber & rename job done. I personally hope that Hornby will follow up with the one off liveries that Virgin applied towards the end of main line running, examples: 87002 Porterbrook Purple, 87012 in Network Southeast & 87019 in LNWR Black. The latter was supposed to be in Hornby's releases many years ago with a retooled Lima chassis but was binned. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope Hornby do an Inter City Exec 87 soon as well as the LNWR liveried "ACoRP".  There again, which Exec version would be a moot point - with full jumper cables, jumpers and TDM connectors, or with jumpers removed and relocated TDM cables?

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, vanbasher said:

The modellers out there who really want to model 87002 as she is now can purchase 87010 & do a simple renumber & rename job done.

The name & number comes off well with some T cut on a cotton bud, but mask off the grilles because it gets in there & leaves a white-ish residue.

It is an easy job. Nothing to be nervous about.

5 hours ago, Markwj said:

If we are wishlisting liveries how about 87101 in railfreight distribution would be top of my list.

I understand that one had different roof detail. although I don't know exactly what the differences were.

How possible it would be to make an accurate version depends on Hornby's tooling (or they could just ignore the differences & do it anyway).

23 hours ago, vanbasher said:

The modellers out there who really want to model 87002 as she is now can purchase 87010 & do a simple renumber & rename job done.

Or not. 87002 has fire bottles and roof arials which are not present on Hornby's 87010 model. I presume these can be fabricated, but not do the finesse of Hornby's moulding and pipework

21 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Or not. 87002 has fire bottles and roof arials which are not present on Hornby's 87010 model. I presume these can be fabricated, but not do the finesse of Hornby's moulding and pipework

Both were available as detailing parts. I believe Shawplan sell, or sold them.

Swallows had its initial release.  I'll be disappointed if the next raft of 87s Hornby decide to announce included ANOTHER swallow liveried version.......(but they do seem to like 87010 as theyve done it twice now same livery but different toolings - Limby and then the newer tooling).  Large logo 87 006 or one of many executive liveries would be my personal pref. and wrap round half grey would be great.

Although I say that......I wouldnt mind another BR blue 87 with orange cant rail stripes, grey (not white) roof area and high speed pan with the original front ends........so I guess its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Swallows had its initial release.  I'll be disappointed if the next raft of 87s Hornby decide to announce included ANOTHER swallow liveried version.......(but they do seem to like 87010 as theyve done it twice now same livery but different toolings - Limby and then the newer tooling).  Large logo 87 006 or one of many executive liveries would be my personal pref. and wrap round half grey would be great.

Although I say that......I wouldnt mind another BR blue 87 with orange cant rail stripes, grey (not white) roof area and high speed pan with the original front ends........so I guess its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I wouldn't groan if they made a large logo 87 because it would save me the expense of buying one, but I do feel Executive livery would be more popular because it was more widely applied & lasted longer.

I don't recall either Hornby or Lima doing the modified Exec livery with the larger yellow ends which was quite common. I am not sure if it was more or less common than the half yellow end, but it is how I remember them.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I wouldn't groan if they made a large logo 87 because it would save me the expense of buying one, but I do feel Executive livery would be more popular because it was more widely applied & lasted longer.

I don't recall either Hornby or Lima doing the modified Exec livery with the larger yellow ends which was quite common. I am not sure if it was more or less common than the half yellow end, but it is how I remember them.

I thought Hornby had realised after the white underframe saga the importance of covering the basic liveries first before any variations, so IC executive with a full height yellow end (~1987 to 93) would cover more locos than the early Intercity with yellow cab sides, etc. such as 87012 and 18. 

A quick search of eBay shows Lima did 12 with the short lived black double arrow, but no full height yellow end executive, their lower height one was as 87009.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 298 said:

I thought Hornby had realised after the white underframe saga the importance of covering the basic liveries first before any variations, so IC executive with a full height yellow end (~1987 to 93) would cover more locos than the early Intercity with yellow cab sides, etc. such as 87012 and 18. 

A quick search of eBay shows Lima did 12 with the short lived black double arrow, but no full height yellow end executive, their lower height one was as 87009.

I suspect they like to hold back popular liveries to try and extend the sales life of the toolings, but as we have seen with the Class 31, it can take them forever to cover basic livery options.

I do think we're in a different market now though and with the way prices are, they are probably better cashing in on sales while they can and holding back on popular liveries only leaves the door open for competitors to do their own tooling

1 hour ago, 298 said:

I don't remember Hornby doing an 86 in Exec with a full yellow end either. I had to respray them myself. That was a long time ago..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:24, Patriot87003 said:

The recently released 87001 Stephenson / Royal Scot arrived safe and sound and runs lovely, bringing back fond memories of many trips up and down the WCML during the early 2000s. The goodie bag supplied also contains a metal nameplate of each name.

B4328267-9517-48A2-BFD0-24E9DC648B82.jpeg.b407c5621e7ddb510ad9e198e638176e.jpeg

922CEB05-5EEE-486A-8A1D-070FCE1F9050.jpeg.193899e220cb4ddf8e9758f8a28bcc6c.jpeg

D1AFC385-C242-4A07-B44E-65AA4E5B8D40.jpeg.7d3455d47f53faeb7fe0781402e0253e.jpeg

E18FADF2-B4F4-4A30-8CC4-66A84D6BCD8E.jpeg.690fcc78bc4aa7c28d282a0287cf7c06.jpeg

Nice looking layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Images of the Caledonian Sleeper Class 87 have now come up, Olivia's Trains has the model in stock and they've photographed it.

Whilst I won't say the colour is 100% accurate, I'll definitely say that it's a vast improvement on what Hornby thought was the right shade on their Class 67 and Class 92. I personally think it should have been a little bit darker with a hint of green, but it looks fairly good. Let's not forget that these are photographed under bright lights in studios.

I'm sharing both the images of the Class 92 and Class 87 from the Olivia's Trains website as it's the best form of comparison and we know that the surroundings and light will be moreorless identical.

1573550061IMG_5083.jpg.f9f2eee4fd99b98e60631afd0483194e.jpg

1583959261IMG_0608.jpg.33817cc79e7340242490b14df909e456.jpg

I'd love to add, I am a huge fan of the Serco Caledonian Sleeper TOC, the initial release of the Class 67 put me off due to the colour and the addition of TTS. Whilst I don't have an issue with TTS, I don't have DCC and don't intend on getting DCC anytime soon. So it was the incorrect colour that put me off for good.

I shared my concerns with @Islesy many moons ago. Initially the release of the Class 92 with the same incorrect blue was a huge let down. But I am glad someone was able to accept the fault, take on board feedback and give us a much better represtation of the colour. So a huge thanks to Paul Isles from Hornby.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hate to say it, but I'm still not impressed with it. It's far better than the previous releases, but it's still too blue (rather like a darker BR Blue). If Dapol can manage to get it right in N Gauge, why do Hornby find it so difficult in OO? 

Sorry Hornby, but you've lost me on this one. 

Got mine today, must admit I’m happy enough with it. Only the naff pantograph that disappoints me with the 87, but seeing as this is my 3rd I cant be that bothered about it.

Fingers firmly crossed for a DRS livery 87 one day (short lived but I thought they looked great!)

Many thanks,

Chris

650C765C-C47A-4142-9BCF-859111AFBE3F.jpeg

4CD14A13-DC32-495E-A587-F045F10B3FC6.jpeg

DED790F3-99BA-41F9-A48F-9CAEE854CBA8.jpeg

• Like 8

On 14/03/2020 at 00:22, chris37422 said:

Got mine today, must admit I’m happy enough with it. Only the naff pantograph that disappoints me with the 87, but seeing as this is my 3rd I cant be that bothered about it.

Fingers firmly crossed for a DRS livery 87 one day (short lived but I thought they looked great!)

Many thanks,

Chris

650C765C-C47A-4142-9BCF-859111AFBE3F.jpeg

4CD14A13-DC32-495E-A587-F045F10B3FC6.jpeg

DED790F3-99BA-41F9-A48F-9CAEE854CBA8.jpeg

What a stunner. Wish I waited a while instead of rushing to buy the Virgin Trains one.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2020 at 00:04, surfsup said:

I hate to say it, but I'm still not impressed with it. It's far better than the previous releases, but it's still too blue (rather like a darker BR Blue). If Dapol can manage to get it right in N Gauge, why do Hornby find it so difficult in OO? 

Sorry Hornby, but you've lost me on this one. 

Funny you should say Dapol got it right, Caledonian Teal is not an easy colour to replicate. And I definitely don't think Dapol got it right, under most lighting conditions, it either matches the Hornby Class 87 I shared from the Olivias Trains website and under direct sunlight the colour that Dapol chose looks really greenish, far too greenish, like their representation of BR Blue on their Class 56s.

I don't think anyone will be getting the colour right any time soon, each and every company will get it as close as they think they can. RevolutioN Trains IMO has got the shade the closest.

Below I've attached images from the Rails of Sheffield website. Under their studio lighting setup the Dapol attempt at Caledonian Teal looks far too greenish to me. And obviously the Hornby attempt looks far too blue.

2d-026-001.IMG_9780.jpg.c54984f5f7008ee249f4aa83a5540804.jpg

R3751.IMG_1070.jpg.c3c1f6e267e48396895170f3c68b0ad9.jpg

And images from the Hatton's website for comparison. Lighting plays a major role in this.

2D-026-001_3307384_Qty1_3.jpg.4aada12de35c7b0a27528504738df4c4.jpg

R3751_3463498_Qty1_3.jpg.f3aa138498d2a1d00bdb7a36ca1deb4e.jpg

Edited by MGR Hooper!

yes looking at those photos it does seem Dapol did a great job on the colour and in fact only goes to highlight how badly the Hornby shade is against it.......in isolation it probably does look ok-ish but this blue reminds me of the XP64 class 47 shade of blue!  a poor effort from the Hornby artwork team or whoever signed the artwork off.  honestly back in the 70s we were getting spot on liveries and here we are 50 years later and they are getting them so badly wrong.

i hope they do not get the executive livery shades wrong when one eventually crosses the line.....  

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Agree 2

I picked up 87002 from Kernow late last week. Unfortunately I returned it back to them and exchanged it for a Heljan 33/1. By the way great customer service from Kernow. Im hoping that Hornby sort out the pantograph it’s very flimsy.

• Agree 2