Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Depends how far back your going, but pantographs and headlights are different too.

heres an original class 87.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/244021/hornby_r3580_class_87_87035_robert_burns_in_br_blue/stockdetail

i’m noodling an 87001 to renumber as 87002, as represented in 2010 before CS duties, but I have 87002 in Intercity ( as Lima made it, from my childhood, sentimental, and 87002 in CS already, and a spare 87010 Intercity burning a hold in my mind…)

& if you're fussy, TDM cables were altered too. The stowage sockets were originally set a little higher & the cables were a little longer so hung below the sockets.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going back to 1987, but the APTs are still running, the 1st 90 has arrived early for testing and will probably be joined by the 1st 91 too! Not quite sure when Intercity Swallow livery was 1st used but it smy arrived early too? As for 87s i have Robert Burns and King Arthur already and am happy to run them together even though RB is as new (mid 70s) and KA is late 80s early 90s i think. The addition of the cantrail stripes i presume would bring RB up to the mid 80s. I hope to add Cities of Glasgow and Birmingham when they arrive.

Looking at the images for King Arthur and Royal Scot/Stephenson the TDM cables look the same, both have the same (poor) pantograph and headlight arrangement. Think i'll go for it.

Another question which is probably in the wrong section of the forum, but why does 87002 (the real one) currently have both types of cable on the front?

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

Another question which is probably in the wrong section of the forum, but why does 87002 (the real one) currently have both types of cable on the front?

Regarding the real 87002, I understand that dummy multiple working sockets and cables were added to the front following it’s repaint to BR Blue. This arrangement was kept during it’s time in the Caledonian Sleeper livery, but the dummy sockets and cables were removed during the relatively recent repaint to IC Swallow livery. A few pics I’ve taken are below …

87002 at the Long Marston Open Day, June 2008, repainted back to BR BlueB8FDC20A-7CB3-491E-9098-9BFDBE07C491.jpeg.59ca7ba67e11bc4962057751682280a8.jpeg

Screenshot of 87002 running into Rugby on a rail tour during October 2017

84AF3528-90C4-4484-8A4C-33A025DDE018.jpeg.c68fbc5cf4fcdcc33df34ff5d0d5baa8.jpeg

87002 at Glasgow Central during the recent Intercity rail tour, with the multi working sockets and cables removed. TDM cables still attached and working as the loco propelled the DVT and Mark 3’s back south.

BC2CC73D-D78D-4374-B58A-D7E44A34907A.jpeg.ab482b281d4fc3d63a0dc3830a682327.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great day out the Electric Scot trip.

On the way back I took 5 minutes to recreate an image taken in Christmas 1989.

87001 Royal Scot… December 27th 1989 c1615-1630

D2678DD2-30F9-4294-B77F-F05ACD514396.jpeg.2b25ccde4ce59ffa3faeddc16763fd37.jpeg

87002 Royal Sovereign… January 26th 2022 1551

40C4DE47-BB8E-4E74-908A-417A5E367561.jpeg.3ebb52e11fbae900bca3202071348236.jpeg

I even lowered my height to my 14 year old self, and included the metal barrier… even the sun is in the same position in the top right corner of the roof.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Hi all. Can I please ask if anyone has had any issues with the centre headlights not working? I’ve just fitted DCC Sound and I’ve no centre headlight. I fitted a standard decoder and still no headlight. I tried a different 87 and still no headlight… help!!

Have you checked the switches on the underside? I think one has a 'Night' or 'Day' setting which relates to whether the headlight comes on or stays off

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

Have you checked the switches on the underside? I think one has a 'Night' or 'Day' setting which relates to whether the headlight comes on or stays off

Do you know I didn’t try that. Elementary error. Thanks ever so much for the assistance, I’ll give it a go!

• 3 weeks later...

Are the multiple working jumpers, cables and blanking plates separate fittings like on the class 50 or are they moulded?  I am wondering if is possible or how easily it is to remove or add the multiple working cables.  I have not seen one close up so i cant really tell.

thanks

9 hours ago, greg81 said:

Not sure if this mentioned elsewhere but 87001 is £99 in Hattons at the moment. Couldn’t resist at that money!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/430670/hornby_r3739_class_87_87001_royal_scot_and_stephenson_in_br_blue_as_preserved/stockdetail

I too didn’t resist. And with VAT off it’s a steal.  I haven’t run it yet but it seems okay apart from the pantograph so far.  

• Like 1

On 05/03/2022 at 03:05, NS Peak said:

Are the multiple working jumpers, cables and blanking plates separate fittings like on the class 50 or are they moulded?  I am wondering if is possible or how easily it is to remove or add the multiple working cables.  I have not seen one close up so i cant really tell.

thanks

I am repainting my 87002 into LSL Swallow. The jumpers/cables are separate and come out pretty easily. However, you'll need to make up some blanking plates as they leave the holes. I'm going to have a go and 3D priniting some with the rivet detail when I get back on it!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/03/2022 at 20:17, Bomp said:

I too didn’t resist. And with VAT off it’s a steal.  I haven’t run it yet but it seems okay apart from the pantograph so far.  

Me also, they sold out in the first day it appears as I waited too long and when I went back they had none left, the next day they had them available again so I didn’t hesitate this time and it arrived yesterday and has been run in on DC now just waiting for a Zimo sound chip.

BTW what’s wrong with the panto, it looks seemingly nice and fine detail (unlike the effort on the APT)?

Edited by boxbrownie

19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Me also, they sold out in the first day it appears as I waited too long and when I went back they had none left, the next day they had them available again so I didn’t hesitate this time and it arrived yesterday and has been run in on DC now just waiting for a Zimo sound chip.

BTW what’s wrong with the panto, it looks seemingly nice and fine detail (unlike the effort on the APT)?

It’s plastic, so it’s fragile and can’t run under wires and isn’t very poseable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It’s plastic, so it’s fragile and can’t run under wires and isn’t very poseable.

That’s true, but I thought it was nicely modelled and looks right for the scale, I suppose if you want a working panto it’ll need to be more robust and made of metal.

Although if your OHLE is stable at a particular height it could be posed at a height to clear it, although it would need very small bits of black tac to keep it in position as it is floppy.

98174C32-DB97-4166-B0F0-7A254E0A9045.jpeg.fccc3b558fae04128cb2ed095d420041.jpeg

• Agree 1

Just going off piste for a moment, I just had an involuntary laugh out loud moment when my Faceache feed popped up that Simon Kohler had "rededicated" (whatever that means) 87035 at Crewe Heritage Centre now it has been given Virgin's "KitKat" livery.

It was all I could do to stop myself from posting "So Mr Kohler now knows there are other kinds of loco apart from steam.  I wonder if he thinks it's "charismatic"?"

Might mean another KitKat 87 next year, assuming they don't have to find damages for StudioCanal over "Titgate".

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 08:46, No Decorum said:

& that is a bit of a problem if you actually want to run it under wires with the pan touching them.

It doesn't look right to me if the pan is too static.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

& that is a bit of a problem if you actually want to run it under wires with the pan touching them.

It doesn't look right to me if the pan is too static.

Unfortunately not all of us are agile or have the dexterity to actually set up working knitting, last time I did was with a Triang Electra and its accompanying overhead "girders" for wires, I still remember turning the lights out in the front room and watching it whizz around the oval of track actually sparking on the overhead.  I did actually by up a lot of Dapol OHLE stuff with the intention of fitting it to one circuit of my layout but having tried some on a test piece of track off the layout I know I will never get it to look any good at all, let alone fit it without bo11ocking up the rest of the layout with it.

So some people are happy with a good looking Panto and a lot of imagination.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 17/03/2022 at 14:31, wombatofludham said:

Just going off piste for a moment, I just had an involuntary laugh out loud moment when my Faceache feed popped up that Simon Kohler had "rededicated" (whatever that means) 87035 at Crewe Heritage Centre now it has been given Virgin's "KitKat" livery.

It was all I could do to stop myself from posting "So Mr Kohler now knows there are other kinds of loco apart from steam.  I wonder if he thinks it's "charismatic"?"

Might mean another KitKat 87 next year, assuming they don't have to find damages for StudioCanal over "Titgate".

Aye, and maybe they'll look at their Virgin Trains maroon colour and correct it to Virgin red!

Very pleased they've brought out the new 87 model in recent times, but the 'red' they've used on their recent releases (including the 87) is miles off of the bright red it should be. Will get round to respraying mine one of these days...

Will they do another run of class 87 ?

I know they want to recover the tool costs but with certain models been floged off at 50% of RRP is that a bad sign for the CL 87 or AC electrics in general?  I sure hope not.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, e30ftw said:

I know they want to recover the tool costs but with certain models been floged off at 50% of RRP is that a bad sign for the CL 87 or AC electrics in general?  I sure hope not.

There is another run coming intercity executive livery and a a special livery so would see how these go, I would suggest the ones in the sale are limited in terms of timescale and availability matching stock. Have heard the electrics don’t sell argument so many times but they keep coming from various manufacturers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Markwj said:

There is another run coming intercity executive livery and a a special livery so would see how these go, I would suggest the ones in the sale are limited in terms of timescale and availability matching stock. Have heard the electrics don’t sell argument so many times but they keep coming from various manufacturers.

I wouldn't worry too much, Hornby have previous for picking 'odd' liveries to produce and they end up in bargain bins a short time later.

The two I've seen discounted are 87001 in BR Blue and 87002 in Caledonian Sleeper. I think the 87001 is modelled on its stuffed and mounted condition in the NRM and I'm not convinced it ever actually operated any trains like that. The 87002 is a bit awkward while it isn't current, it is fairly recent past when the loco was only officially used for empty stock workings but it did sometimes work the main train of Mk3 sleepers and mk2 day coaches, but I dont think the Caledonian Sleeper livery had been produced on the coaches presumably as they were only a short-term stop gap before the coaches were replaced. The sleeper trains do tend to be fairly popular, in terms of liveries generally do get produced, but it cant be one that many folk actually see operating when they generally travel in the hours of darkness or early morning. I would probably have guessed both of those would have struggled to sell out when the catalogue was announced.

There's the Intercity Executive one and the large logo grey one due out later in the year.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, e30ftw said:

That's Hornby doing its usual **** poor job, avoiding giving people what they actually want for years and years, while they do every damn silly one-off paint job imaginable. All the while, they miss out on repeat orders for standard blue and IC versions. They are still missing out on representing the first five years of WCML service from 1973 which would run very nicely with the Heljan 86/0, and the Bachmann 85, and might even help flog their own Mk2f rolling stock.

You'd think there might be someone there who knows something - anything - about marketing, but clearly, they would rather spend their time trying to spike every other manufacturers’ guns, than getting on with doing their own job properly. It's pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I might have bitten with the Caley sleeper one but the colour seems to be hard to gauge and whilst I’m not saying who is right, I fear that my AS 92 and Caley sleepers won’t be the same colour as a H87 (same issue with 67 in same livery which also seemed to struggle to sell)

It would be agreeable if Hornby were to do a Heljan on the 87. Much of it is good. What it needs is a new chassis casting with room for a decent speaker and 21-pin decoder (as that seems to be what Hornby has decided upon at long last) and a rewire to allow the lights to work sensibly. A sprung metal pantograph capable of running along the wires and it would be a winner. Granted that most DC fans don’t need all that but even they would profit from switches to make the lights work properly. 

• RMweb Premium
On 19/03/2022 at 21:21, GordonC said:

. I think the 87001 is modelled on its stuffed and mounted condition in the NRM and I'm not convinced it ever actually operated any trains like that.

That’s why I bought it, only cost ninety nine squids and it’s lovely and “stuffed” as you say……I’m running under imaginary knitting on a ostensibly GWR Branch Line, so it never having pulled a train is irrelevant to me, it just looks nice.

It'll be joined soon by an early AS Deltic……I just don’t care….running through the flower fields with hands out stretched here, not a care in the world :lol:

• Funny 1