Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

British Model Railway Awards 2016

Andy Y

Jeez; not doing very well here! 

Now added.

I can't remember for sure as I've already completed the poll, but I don't think the Union Mills Earl class 3200 (Dukedog) was included. 

But that does beg the question what does one do if you've completed the poll but now with the extra nominations would like to amend ones votes?

G.

I voted for the Peckett (picked from the list without spotting what was missing) how can I change that to the Hornby Radial?

John

Drop me a PM with your IP address and the approximate time you completed the survey and I'll see if I can identify it

I can't remember for sure as I've already completed the poll, but I don't think the Union Mills Earl class 3200 (Dukedog) was included. 

It wasn't; but it wouldn't be as I've never even heard mention of it.

I have not seen any reviews of Hornby's SR cattle wagons in the Model Railway Magazines so I took the risk of buying some. I think that they are the best wagons anyone has made. It is a huge improvement on the Tri-ang R122 cattle wagon which was produced for 30 years. I wonder how long Hornby's cattle wagon will be produced for and if anyone will review it in a magazine.

I've reviewed it in the current Model Rail. The reviews are less immediate when we have to wait for models to reach the shops before we can get hands on one. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

The Roco S160 just about made it in time for 2016 ... and it's the first RTR British H0 for ages. Surely it deserves a place in the poll, even though it's outside the usual 2/4/7 mm scales?

- Richard.

It wasn't; but it wouldn't be as I've never even heard mention of it.

Will it be added in?

The Dukedog been advertised in the 'Railway Modeller' and 'N Gauge Journal' and there will be a review in issue 1/17. They also produced an N gauge Dean Goods but I'm not sure when it first came out. Union Mills is a company worth keeping an eye on as they produce quite an interesting range of RTR steam locos and usually release a new one at least once a year.

113528.jpg

G.

• RMweb Premium

It is too late to add it now really. The list isn't always exhaustive.

Andy,

Surely, the list is never exhaustive - rather, it always comes across as a list of carefully-groomed candidates, chosen to make sure the top-placed items will make suitable copy for BRM magazine. This year's poll is tainted already by a request from Rapido for members to vote for their own model posted after the poll opened - while the smaller suppliers and minority interest groups are shunned time after time.

The poll might be a great deal fairer if members could write in the name of one candidate for each class of model, meaning steam locomotive, diesel multiple unit, whatever, regardless of scale. It would be sensible to take member's display names too, instead of IP addresses, to stop multiple votes. By all means have a poll, but I question its benefit to the hobby beyond making copy for BRM.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann certainly refer to it in Kaders annual results, so I think it's used for a bit of Kudos . Quite why they win manufacturer of the year after three huge price increases and a gestation period for models of 3-4 years is beyond me. I'm hoping that this year Hornby will be resurgent . Their Peckett is a cracking wee model, and of course they delivered on Collett coaches during the year. Rapido do deserve accolades for their APTE.

• RMweb Gold

Any nominee is just as capable as Rapio in plugging the awards I am pretty sure we will something on the Hornby Social Media about them, and of course [shamlessplug] you could always also read here https://grahammuz.com/2017/01/09/british-model-railway-awards-for-2016-vote-now-vote-southern-shameless-plug/ [\shamelessplug] :)

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Surely, the list is never exhaustive - rather, it always comes across as a list of carefully-groomed candidates, chosen to make sure the top-placed items will make suitable copy for BRM magazine. This year's poll is tainted already by a request from Rapido for members to vote for their own model posted after the poll opened - while the smaller suppliers and minority interest groups are shunned time after time.

The poll might be a great deal fairer if members could write in the name of one candidate for each class of model, meaning steam locomotive, diesel multiple unit, whatever, regardless of scale. It would be sensible to take member's display names too, instead of IP addresses, to stop multiple votes. By all means have a poll, but I question its benefit to the hobby beyond making copy for BRM.

- Richard.

Any manufacturer can plug their nominated product, indeed it's well established in any awards, this is all about promotion and opinion rather than scientific anslysis. It's also easy for any manufacturer or admirer of theirs to put their product forward when the poll is close. It was mentioned several times in the Peckett thread before the poll ;)

As for people writing in they don't have a huge team to sort hundreds of entries that's why it's a poll!

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping DJ models will get manufacturer of the year due to the high quality models

;) careful someone will say your promoting DJ ;) ;)

What's nice this year is that several have deserved it in my opinion. Rapido for taking on the APT-E and a fresh approach to nuttiness, DJ for models and discussion, Hornby for listening about their supply chain and taking a gamble on the Peckett by going all out, Bachmann for maintaining the consistency.

Difficult choice this year :)

• RMweb Gold

Any manufacturer can plug their nominated product, indeed it's well established in any awards, this is all about promotion and opinion rather than scientific anslysis. It's also easy for any manufacturer or admirer of theirs to put their product forward when the poll is close. It was mentioned several times in the Peckett thread before the poll ;)

As for people writing in they don't have a huge team to sort hundreds of entries that's why it's a poll!

Exactly so - although apart from Rapido I have yet to see another manufacturer plugging for votes.  However the same cannot be said of the layout category where I have so far seen four of the layouts being 'promoted', although not necessarily by their owners,  but that doesn't worry me as I'd already voted before reading such 'promos' and it wouldn't have made any difference to where my vote went anyway.   Muz, I thought was rather clever in his shameless plug as he was 'promoting' all sorts of things and places but again I'd voted before I looked there so his blatant electioneering made absolutely no difference to my votes whether or not I agreed with what he had to say (it's a secret ballot isn't it - but he was offering some sound advice I thought  :jester: ).  Incidentally in one case a layout owner didn't even know his layout was in the poll so presumably 'inverse promotion' is also possible?

But does the 'promotion' actually make any difference I wonder?  When it comes down to it we are going to vote, I'm sure, for our personal preferences or possibly - in the case of things like locos - for those we have bought which we feel fit the bill which might mean that our votes could perhaps just reflect our prototype preferences?   Who cares - overall O think certain things and certain layouts or exhibitions will shine through (or have I voted for the wrong ones, ooops).

• RMweb Premium

Paul I agree entirely with your post (taking "close" to mean "near") except the final sentence.

I wrote, "write in", meaning (but clearly not communicating) "write in the name of the manufacturer and product in two fields which can then be parsed down". I've done data mining for a living, and 5 or 10,000 records is not onerous. The task does not require a "huge team", nor does any reply to a well-intended suggestion need a cheapening ! at the end. Sense of humour failure here I'm afraid.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough Richard, you got my meaning on close ;)

I'm sure if Andy had the knowledge he might have but this is a bit of promotion and fun so they are just using the forums built in poll system I guess rather than looking at learning or buying in new software.

• RMweb Premium

Yes. I must remember this is primarily a bit of fun and promotion. The results will reflect what people (constrained by the available choices) simply like the most, and this may well be unrelated to engineering design, mechanical longevity, originality, usefulness on a layout or any other quantifiable attribute. It's a fun thing, no-one makes a purchase on solely the strength of the result.

I hope everyone who takes part in the poll enjoys it.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

It's a fun thing, no-one makes a purchase on solely the strength of the result.

Quite the opposite for some for us. I would never vote for an item that I hadn't actually purchased, or for which at the very least read numerous consistent rave reviews. So there are plenty of categories for which I did not vote. There is a small number of layout threads I regularly follow, and a couple of these are listed, so that was fine. Manufacturer of the year is entirely subjective. If they made a cherished model for you, but everything else was apparently a dog, how does one vote? Probably not at all.

People enjoy polls, most of them harmless. Facebook is full of them, of impressively meaningless content. This is at least relevant to the Forum content.

• RMweb Gold

Good point! Maybe I should be hired to promote products *wink wink* hahaha! I think this year will be too close to call in all aspects

I've no doubt there will be - as I've already said - some stiff competition but equally I don't find it all difficult to rule out some things.  Part of that is because I hark pretty close to Ian's viewpoint about voting for items I've actually purchased (which I have in three categories) but I do also pay cognisance to what I've seen or read about but not purchased which might cause me to vote a particular way if I vote at all and even more so to those I've looked at closely but decided not to purchase. 

• RMweb Gold

Thing is, if you restrict yourself to voting only for things you've purchased, that excludes all the things you haven't purchased, some of which may be more deserving of your votes.  Also, it will tend to skew the result in favour of items which are popular by virtue of sales figures, which are meaningless in the context of what you think is 'best model'.  This is why these 'fun' polls are just that; for amusement and interest and not meant as guides as to what to buy for modellers or what to sell for manufacturers.

Archived