Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

Basically the track power must not find its way to the motor without going through the DCC chip (on right input channels).  With the wires transposed as described, the track input is going straight to the motor and bypassing the DCC socket/chip.  This will not show up when the loco is run on DC as will have no impact and it will not be apparent the blanking plug is effectively bypassed but once chipped and put on DCC you have track power bypassing the chip (on one polarity) and going straight to the motor.  In over 100 mostly Bachmann locos (with smattering of Hornby, Heljan, Vitrains etc.) I have only experienced this once on a Bachmann Class 20 (Hunslet Barclay Ltd Ed) which responded similarly to how it sounds the 68 above did - no speed control - straight off in one direction - I was also lucky that both DCC chips I tried didn't experience any damage, not the loco.  For me this all happened on the test track which may have protected the chip to some degree?  I guess it can happen sometimes - hard one to pick-up beforehand though unless check no continuity between track and motor after blanking plate removed.

And given that it seems two people have had the same problem that may be the recommended course of action.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

For those who only have a basic understanding of DCC, where should the wires have been soldered to for DCC running?

This photo now shows  the correct position for the motor and pick up leads after I completed the resoldering. The thicker red motor lead should go to the ML connection and the orange lead from the track pick up goes to TRKR connection. As has been stated in DCC mode the motor must be fully isolated and connected only to the decoder motor output.

Ian

post-31300-0-41733400-1487498494_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This photo now shows the correct position for the motor and pick up leads after I completed the resoldering. The thicker red motor lead should go to the ML connection and the orange lead from the track pick up goes to TRKR connection. As has been stated in DCC mode the motor must be fully isolated and connected only to the decoder motor output.

Ian

dp68b.JPG

Edited to explain issue / concern more:

Please see my post above, your wiring may work but is not right. The NMRA standard for TRKR is red, motor right orange.

As I said above, as the error in your wiring was not at the PCB end you have ended up with the colours reversed at the PCB, but worse, the gauge of the wires in wrong. The larger gauge wire to carry more current (Red) is needed to supply the decoder, motor, lights, sound.. The lighter gauge wire (orange) only has to drive the motor. It probably won't matter, but you would need to do the sums to confirm it...

I am concerned that if people have correctly wired 68s (as some people must be as they run on DCC without issues) and remove the body and see the wiring is not as per yours they will reverse perfectly good wiring and make it bad, potentially blowing up their decoder and, in the meantime, invalidating their warranty.

The correct fix would have been to reverse the wires at the track pickup and motor  much harder to achieve. Personally I would probably have sent it back.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

This photo now shows  the correct position for the motor and pick up leads after I completed the resoldering. The thicker red motor lead should go to the ML connection and the orange lead from the track pick up goes to TRKR connection. As has been stated in DCC mode the motor must be fully isolated and connected only to the decoder motor output.

Ian

attachicon.gifdp68b.JPG

Thank you to everyone who has answered my question.

I contacted Hattons today about the glue issue on my 68005 and they have confirmed they have no more DRS 68005s in stock and won't be getting anymore either so I can't swap for another, expected that answer but thought I'd check

• RMweb Gold

I contacted Hattons today about the glue issue on my 68005 and they have confirmed they have no more DRS 68005s in stock and won't be getting anymore either so I can't swap for another, expected that answer but thought I'd check

How about now contacting Dapol directly to see if they can offer a solution?

Roy

Just noticed that one of my DRS examples is missing its full front 'air dam'. I have the accessory pack but obviously that one has a slot in it. As the DRS ones are now out of stock and apart from the air dam the rest of the model is perfect, I'm loathe to send it back. So was wondering does anyone know if these are going to be available as spares at some point, especially as it sounds as though a few want another full air dam at the other end? Worse case is that I'll have to fill in the gap on the slotted air dam, but if it's gonna be available I'm patient so will wait,

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully for DCC Ready models they are being checked at Dapol for nameplate issues as they fit the decoders and hopefully test to confirm they do run correctly before shipment to suppliers.

I assume you mean the DCC equipped models? There seems to be an increasing amount of confusion on several threads regarding these terms. DCC ready just means it has a socket, not that it has a decoder.

Roy

I see there is a seller on eBay selling the DRS versions for £169.99. The features listed in the description are interesting. What does 'Cast wheel in the appropriate colour to match livery' and 'Maintenance lighting under chassis' even mean?

Yes that same seller has now this afternoon increased the prices for both models on ThiefBay, 68005 is now £199.99 & 68002 £219.99 and they originally advertised @169.99 each.

Jacksons Diecast Models unashamed profiteering, I mean increasing the prices is bad enough but the same or above the DRS Limited Edition 68001 is a bit rich.

Edited by classy52

Yes that same seller has now this afternoon increased the prices for both models on ThiefBay, 68005 is now £199.99 & 68002 £219.99 and they originally advertised @169.99 each.

Jacksons Diecast Models unashamed profiteering, I mean increasing the prices is bad enough but the same or above the DRS Limited Edition 68001 is a bit rich.

Yes, just seen that only one 68002 left now. Makes the DRS limited edition seem cheap!

Just noticed that one of my DRS examples is missing its full front 'air dam'. I have the accessory pack but obviously that one has a slot in it. As the DRS ones are now out of stock and apart from the air dam the rest of the model is perfect, I'm loathe to send it back. So was wondering does anyone know if these are going to be available as spares at some point, especially as it sounds as though a few want another full air dam at the other end? Worse case is that I'll have to fill in the gap on the slotted air dam, but if it's gonna be available I'm patient so will wait,

Photomunki, I'm in the same boat. I wanted the full air dams at each end, but have had to settle for one full and one with a slot. I've emailed Dapol to see if there will be an accessory pack containing at least one full air dam and a full set of pipes. I'll let you know how I get on, once I get a reply. I have noticed that DCC Supplies have a full set of buffer beam pipes etc. now available for the class 73's, so hopefully the same will be available for the class 68's as well soon. Tony.

Edited by Tony Walker
  • Like 1

I assume you mean the DCC equipped models? There seems to be an increasing amount of confusion on several threads regarding these terms. DCC ready just means it has a socket, not that it has a decoder.

Roy

Yes thanks, but they are currently DCC ready being fitted with decoders to become DCC on board..

Either way, just hope there are enough after all the returns... :O  :O  :O 

• RMweb Gold

I've bought a lot of diecast models etc from him at really good discounted prices, but that is obscene. A £100 more than what they've been on sale with other traders this week.

Supply and demand!

I've bought from Jacksons a few times as the shop isn't far from my caravan in Cumbria, it's not a name that springs to people's minds like hattons or rails hence last time I called in was the height of the Dapol 'freightliner hopper' feeding frenzy I picked up 3 for £21 each while everywhere else was showing them as sold out and eBay prices were extortionate, (I did of course let everyone else on here know there 7 left and they sold within the hour!)