Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

I wonder why they are discontinued and the drs shop ones are taking so long? I'm wondering if DRS sent them back and are getting the correct livery and nameplates fitted? If Dapol are happening to make CORRECT bodyshells for DRS 68's I would happily get some, but I would expect some sort of discount if we have to buy them?

Ben

It has been said before on an earlier post that DRS should be shipping them out from today.

Hopefully after inspecting them, which will save them on refunds for return postage should defective ones be sent out.

It's a lot of money for a sub standard loco if the nameplates are wonky or glue spue is evident......

Edited by martin_l_jones

It has been said before on an earlier post that DRS should be shipping them out from today.

Hopefully after inspecting them, which will save them on refunds for return postage should defective ones be sent out.

It's a lot of money for a sub standard loco if the nameplates are wonky or glue spue is evident......

I had received a response from DRS this afternoon as follows, "Thank you for your email. We are aware there is a livery issue on one side of the model (green swoosh is slightly different on each side), other than that, the models I have seen have not had any glue / crooked nameplates."

​There was nothing else in the email to say that DRS were sending them back due to the livery issue (nameplate positioning & glue confirmed all ok) as that was pretty much it, so I emailed them back to ask if these were now being dispatched as normal even with the livery issue but had not received a response...but yes to pay £200 for a product with a visible printing error down one side of the loco seems a bit rich now even for a 350 unit limited edition run, maybe Dapol/DRS should bite the bullet & start offering a certain amount of refund perhaps to those who have purchased already and reduce the remaining stock down to £123???

Edited by classy52

I had received a response from DRS this afternoon as follows, "Thank you for your email. We are aware there is a livery issue on one side of the model (green swoosh is slightly different on each side), other than that, the models I have seen have not had any glue / crooked nameplates."

​There was nothing else in the email to say that DRS were sending them back due to the livery issue (nameplate positioning & glue confirmed all ok) as that was pretty much it, so I emailed them back to ask if these were now being dispatched as normal even with the livery issue but had not received a response...but yes to pay £200 for a product with a visible printing error down one side of the loco seems a bit rich now even for a 350 unit limited edition run, maybe Dapol/DRS should bite the bullet & start offering a certain amount of refund perhaps to those who have purchased already and reduce the remaining stock down to £123???

I notice that the DRS shop picture shows the side with the misplaced "swoosh"!

• RMweb Gold

What do you then do with a Chiltern body on an inaccurate chassis?

​Sell it and hope no one notices? The cheek...

Paint it blue, stick a pantograph on it, and call it a Class 88...:-)

• RMweb Gold

Paint it blue, stick a pantograph on it, and call it a Class 88...:-)

I have been wondering how long it will be before that gets announced.

Edit - of course I do appreciate that the two are, from a modelling perspective, significantly different.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Of course the wonky liveried first edition DRS models will become sought after collectors items in a few years time and worth a fortune! People will be trawling the stands at shows looking for the elusive wonky DRS 68's once Dapol release the rest of the class in non-wonky format..

I called to order one over a week ago as i wanted them to confirm if they also had the same printing issue and they told me they did and were waiting for a response from Dapol,I called again yesterday and was told I would get an email response as the lady who is dealing with it was out of the office yesterday.

I can't see the DRS limited edition versions being any different to the main order to be honest.

The picture of 68 001 on the DRS shop website shows the 'bad' side with the misplaced printing....

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm so are they planning an 88 ?? :)

Given it has a small diesel engine it could be a smart move as it is not limited to just OHLE layouts. Of course, it has a more limited scope of operations and only one livery at the moment, but at the same time has some common parts to the 68.

Roy

It's here! Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds rang me this afternoon - (other model railway dealers are available, but you won't find a better or friendlier one) - I now possess Scotrail Daring. I have taken it from the box, but not yet run it, just swooned at it (seen photos of Emily Watson looking at Justin Trudeau? That's it) because it is a thing of astonishing beauty. Buy it. Buy another. Remortgage, buy Phil Sutton's next models, abandon everything else to eBay.

• RMweb Gold

It's here! Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds rang me this afternoon - (other model railway dealers are available, but you won't find a better or friendlier one) - I now possess Scotrail Daring. I have taken it from the box, but not yet run it, just swooned at it (seen photos of Emily Watson looking at Justin Trudeau? That's it) because it is a thing of astonishing beauty. Buy it. Buy another. Remortgage, buy Phil Sutton's next models, abandon everything else to eBay.

I would live to live in your world, nothing but 24s and 68s! What thrash :-)

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Given it has a small diesel engine it could be a smart move as it is not limited to just OHLE layouts. Of course, it has a more limited scope of operations and only one livery at the moment, but at the same time has some common parts to the 68.

Roy

Given the lack of new models to make and lack of variety in modern traction, compared to 70s , it can only be a matter of time before someone does an 88. I suppose it would need to be licensed. Ideal for Hornby I would have thought. Go with its modern traction IEP

• RMweb Gold

Given the lack of new models to make and lack of variety in modern traction, compared to 70s , it can only be a matter of time before someone does an 88. I suppose it would need to be licensed. Ideal for Hornby I would have thought. Go with its modern traction IEP

Why not Dapol? They have the contacts, some common tooling and experience of DRS newer liveries (although the 88s are a little different). I would be surprised if anybody else does it.

Roy

In this day and age of social media, it's interesting to see how everybody reacts and interacts which I think is very refreshing and moves the hobby forward in a positive direction. However I think industry should embrace this positivity in some way and find a better way of interacting with the end customer during product development and production phases to ensure expectations are met on all sides. I wonder if this ever happens, as I sense its just 'them and us' which is not a good situation to be in for anyone?

• RMweb Gold

In this day and age of social media, it's interesting to see how everybody reacts and interacts which I think is very refreshing and moves the hobby forward in a positive direction. However I think industry should embrace this positivity in some way and find a better way of interacting with the end customer during product development and production phases to ensure expectations are met on all sides. I wonder if this ever happens, as I sense its just 'them and us' which is not a good situation to be in for anyone?

Dapol have their digest forum through which they engage with their customer. It is not perfect, but pretty good. Bit like their 68 I guess.

Roy

So Hornby can stick an oversized pantograph on it, not fit directional lights and make it on par with their Railroad product range...no thanks

Let Dapol continue if it comes to fruition, maybe they'll get the livery right next time.

Dapol have their digest forum through which they engage with their customer. It is not perfect, but pretty good. Bit like their 68 I guess.

Roy

Yes I have used before but when I have asked for help I have been ignored and noticed others are treated the same so I will not bother using again. It's just a facade with nothing behind it for me. Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

I know the feeling about being ignored, when I asked Dapol if they plan to issue any replacement body shells for the examples with badly applied plates they didn't reply!

I asked if they could put some photos up that they said they had when they suddenly changed the livery of the 0 Gauge class 08 for the DCC Supplies version which changed from yellow to full black radiator (????), but they never did.

They said they would review and the instructions for removing the bonnet on the same loco as they were incorrect, but they never did.

Using the Digest did not work...Real shame as they are doing a tremendous job really just need to tie up the loose ends and delight the customer.

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

People will be trawling the stands at shows looking for the elusive wonky DRS 68's once Dapol release the rest of the class in non-wonky format..

Ahemmmm, you are of course assuming that Dapol do indeed address the issues raised.  Personally I wouldn't like to bet on that.