Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

Those types of posts have been appearing on the Digest semi-regularly for a while now.

Whoever it is needs to grow up a little if you ask me.

And of course whilst negotiating adolescence a study of forum rules 1&2 should be compulsory.No you can't utter fanciful nonsense for public consumption on the web.Yes you can be successfully sued in court as some social media users found to their cost after Tweeting about the late Lord McAlpine a few years back.

Some of the nastiness that does occur here is entirely avoidable with pause for reflection before hitting the key.We are so fortunate in having the privelege of the free exchange of ideas and information on this forum which,let's be honest,is managed with a very light touch,so best not to ruin it in a moment of self-indulgent pique born of a hysterical imagination.

• RMweb Gold

Aha - Great stuff. So it's okay to add one of these:

You will have to attach me to the frankly less than useless 'jockey seat' that's behind the driver on the bulkhead, a complete waste of time trying to use it if your route conducting someone

• RMweb Gold

Since when I started at the shop, I have never seen a product sell so fast! We had our stock come in at 10am yesterday morning, and by 3:45pm we were down to our last one of each of the DRS ones....and today we sold those. While we have sold a couple of the Scotrail and Chiltern ones, the DRS livery has been the real winner. Livery & nameplate issues aside, people are definitely seeing the quality of this stunning model. :)

Alex

And that is the very sad thing - two very avoidable errors have stopped this being probably the best rtr 00 diesel bar SLW's Class 24. I just hope they do correct these for later versions. If you watch one of the Rapido videos it shows how they adjust the tampo printer to do the liveries. I assume all Dapol need to do is adjust the setup for one side? Oh, and teach some people how to fit names - or just print them.

I am looking forward to my 68007 arriving (DCC equipped so a while yet), I stopped short of the sound equipped that I was going for given some of the issues reported, but if 68007 is ok then I will probably get 68006 as a sound version.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone actually bought the Scotrail livery version yet, not seen much feedback or photos of those?

I got Scotrail (well, what would you expect!) 68 007 Valiant. Totally stunning but I only had a 5 minute play before packing it safely out of sight. Got the Grandson staying this weekend so it's the old Lima class 26's on my layout until Sunday. Don't mind too much if they get damaged!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe an idea is china ship models in just a kit of parts to complete ourselves, 1) to cut model RRP's and 2) to ensure high standards of build quality that are often lacking? Just a tongue in cheek idea......however...... 

Like Heljan 128? Just that the cost didn't fall as much as the bits did.

Sorry - you are still missing the point. Hattons, Rails and Kernow all had these for preorder - DCC Ready, Fitted and Sound. The DRS (fitted and sound) ones have disappeared from all three sites. The Scotrail and Chiltern DCC fitted and sound ones remain - despite not being released yet.

Nothing to do with what has already been released.

Roy

I had a DCC fitted DRS 68 on pre-order with Rails but they called yesterday to say that Dapol had been in touch with them and were going to reduce their allocation of DCC fitted locos as they had been oversold.  as a result I have been offered a DCC ready one instead which should come tomorrow all being well.  Sounds as if maybe several retailers with large orders could have been affected same way if Hatton's and Kernow similarly pulled from website.

• RMweb Gold

Their weekly mailing list today said they've only received part of their order, and were hoping for the rest either later today or Monday. They just listed the Chiltern one as being available on their mailing list.

Quite frankly I'm dubious as to whether Kernow will get any of the DRS ones now. I'm waiting for one but as being clearly shown the DRS ones are nigh on sold out! Also not sure why it's taken this long to deliver them to Cornwall. I used to live there, it's not that hard to get a delivery! Dapol have already said they won't have any to sell themselves so I hope the Kernow ones are set aside.

I had a DCC fitted DRS 68 on pre-order with Rails but they called yesterday to say that Dapol had been in touch with them and were going to reduce their allocation of DCC fitted locos as they had been oversold.  as a result I have been offered a DCC ready one instead which should come tomorrow all being well.  Sounds as if maybe several retailers with large orders could have been affected same way if Hatton's and Kernow similarly pulled from website.

Ditto, had the same call thursday lunch time, sticking with mine but really thinking about changing to DCC ready or going full pelt and getting sound fitted ones from DCKits. think a trip to my local model shop tomorrow! 

Like Heljan 128? Just that the cost didn't fall as much as the bits did.

Slightly off topic but odd how we are told all this separate fitted detail costs loads to fit/justifies high price models then when they don't fit it we don't see much of a drop in price :scratchhead:

Back on topic, maybe two requests to Dapol for any second batch:

1) Let the purchaser fit the nameplates!

2) Sort the DRS livery!

Here's hoping :yes:

Edited by sanspareil

From the Dapol order forms that we receive every month, the production run across all liveries (DRS, Chiltern and ScotRail) and all versions (DCC Ready, Fitted and Sound) and including the DRS 68.001 special comes to over 5,000 models made.

This strikes me as being a far larger initial production run of any model in recent times, with the possible exception of the Bachmann Midland Pullman.

Rather than criticising Dapol for not producing enough, I would suggest that Dapol should be congratulated on their belief and confidence to produce such a large number of models.

Ditto, had the same call thursday lunch time, sticking with mine but really thinking about changing to DCC ready or going full pelt and getting sound fitted ones from DCKits. think a trip to my local model shop tomorrow!

I am waiting for my sound fitted one from DC-Kits ....

From the Dapol order forms that we receive every month, the production run across all liveries (DRS, Chiltern and ScotRail) and all versions (DCC Ready, Fitted and Sound) and including the DRS 68.001 special comes to over 5,000 models made.

This strikes me as being a far larger initial production run of any model in recent times, with the possible exception of the Bachmann Midland Pullman.

Rather than criticising Dapol for not producing enough, I would suggest that Dapol should be congratulated on their belief and confidence to produce such a large number of models.

5k! How many is a normal production run?

350no 68001 limited edition, 

775no of each running number,

258no (rounded down) of each decoder version - DCC Ready, Fitted and sound!

Note above is based on if all are of equal quantities and my maths is still good this late on a friday evening after a beer!  :no:

• RMweb Gold

My pair arrived Thursday just as I was heading out the door to work that afternoon, so only got to play with them this evening.

First impressions, it is a vey nice model indeed! I had read about the wonky plates and yellow ends before I opened them but thankfully, I've got none of these issues. They've both had a quick run around the layout to make sure everything is ok. Straight from the box they are very smooth and quiet, most new stuff seems to have a slight gear train whine from new but not these!

As nice as they are, the DRS one is a bit of a let down with it's misprinted livery. Considering the frequent delays in the models being released to ensure the complex livery is just right, it seems completely mad for them to all be sent out with one side totally off centre! I'm guessing QC had a day off when these passed through. It would be nice for a new batch of bodies to be produced with this issue rectified. But as it stands, I can live with this silly issue.

Another thing which would've been nice is the detailing bag containing a full valance and pipework. As I don't use the standard tension locks on locos, it would be nice to have both ends fully detailed.  Again, not an issue that's the end of the world.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM1.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM11.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM2.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM3.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM4.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM5.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM6.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM12.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM7.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM8.JPG

attachicon.gifClass 68 - RM9.JPG

A light weathering will be done to the pair. Also, anybody know if anyone is doing some "Oxford Flyer" plates for 68010?

Andy.

I'm sure if you contacted Steve at railtec transfers he could do one of his 3D style nameplate transfers for you - they are excellent

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Just want to say I'm completely smitten by my 68005 !

I know the livery errors should bother me, but they just don't, it's a fantastic looking model !!

The fact they've produced one of the running numbers I wanted is a bonus & saves me changing the identity.

Hoping they do 68016 in the next batch :yes:

Cheers,

(a very happy) Phil.

• Like 4

So one of the most successful (sales wise) models of recent times I guess, given how fast the shelves are clearing?

• RMweb Premium

Another thing which would've been nice is the detailing bag containing a full valance and pipework. As I don't use the standard tension locks on locos, it would be nice to have both ends fully detailed.  Again, not an issue that's the end of the world.

Is the omission of the detail pack a one-off or can anyone else confirm that there is no separate detail pack for the other end?

Cheers,

Mick

Is the omission of the detail pack a one-off or can anyone else confirm that there is no separate detail pack for the other end?

Cheers,

Mick

the detailing pack supplied with both  my models only contains  a nem socket and coupling and  a skirt with the recess for the nem socket to move

Edited by english electric

Hi everyone,

If you are still looking for a DRS 68, R3sprays might have some listed on there web site as Colin messaged me earlier to say they had arrived. I'm looking forward to getting 68002 having seen the real thing go past on the Fife circle stock moves. And for those wanting to renumber they have already got this handy sheet.

All the best

Mark

http://www.r3sprays.co.uk/compass-livery-class-renumbering-pack-Dapol-p-1058.html

Edited by MRDBLUE17

the detailing pack supplied with both my models only contains a nem socket and coupling and a skirt with the recess for the nem socket to move

Mine was the same meaning if you want a coupling at both ends, as I do with one of mine, there are not enough "skirts"/valances

Edited by Tigger

I have ordered the DRS 68002 one from Kernow Model Rail and haven't got it yet plus they said the other 68's should have came late yesterday or Monday

Kernow may have done the same as us, and ordered some from Dapol wholesalers, rather than getting all their stock direct from Dapol.

We know that we have a further batch arriving on Monday - we have already received the invoice. 

Assuming this is the case, there should be no need to worry that Kernow do not physically have them on their premises just yet.