Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

I think I shall be digging deep to get DRS plain blue class 68. They really are great models in my eyes.

I've already got all 5 DRS and will refrain from getting all 3 this time but will purchase the DRS plain blue to go with ones I've got, yes agreed they are a great model from Dapol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlLyNKZX4AA2SE-?format=jpg&name=large

Here is a link for anyone without access to Facebook. (With dates and prices)

Remeber 68026 is also a TPE allocated machine and once mk5 sets begin running it won’t be seen on any other traffic types.

The photo is too lo-res to see, but terms of detail differences all of 68019-032 have a dot matrix destination display inside the cab and a new square multiple working connector to talk to the DVT and open doors etc.. Both are probably easily achievable with plasticard.

I better get on with doing my mk5s then...

Edit: The Models in the photos don’t even have buffers yet so maybe it’s a bit unfair of me to start looking for individual detail differences.

Edited by cal.n

Morning everyone.

Does anyone from Dapol contribute on here?  I was just wondering whether these new models are subject to any change in the livery application?  

Although it's only a low res image, and possibly lighting has played its part, some of the colours in the TPE livery look a bit questionable.  I'm thinking the light blue part round the cab fronts looks too light compared to shots of the real thing.  Also, the diagonal band which runs from the headlights, across the door and up to the cantrail seems to fade from dark blue to white on the model, whereas in real life it goes dark blue to light blue.  As I say, it could just be the lighting.

It's such a 'marmite' of a livery in real life and it'd be a shame if the model was way out and consequently didn't sell!  

Regards,

Roge.

• RMweb Gold

Morning everyone.

Does anyone from Dapol contribute on here?  I was just wondering whether these new models are subject to any change in the livery application?  

Although it's only a low res image, and possibly lighting has played its part, some of the colours in the TPE livery look a bit questionable.  I'm thinking the light blue part round the cab fronts looks too light compared to shots of the real thing.  Also, the diagonal band which runs from the headlights, across the door and up to the cantrail seems to fade from dark blue to white on the model, whereas in real life it goes dark blue to light blue.  As I say, it could just be the lighting.

It's such a 'marmite' of a livery in real life and it'd be a shame if the model was way out and consequently didn't sell!  

Regards,

Roge.

No they no longer do.This unfortunately as a result of certain forum members posting contentious,not to say inflammatory,criticism.

Try their own website.

I fancy TPE as well, but nothing to run it with is a major disincentive . They are really only going to run with Mk5s

It can be run with the Prendalino MK3 which Hornby produced as it run a few tests on the WCML before going abroad?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/25243804377

Edited by HullCityB17

Good

Morning everyone.

Regards,

Roge.

Good point.  I think all the colours seem too light, so hopefully its just a lighting issue with the photograph.  That mid blue seems washed out towards the roof.

post-33284-0-56883000-1534928771.jpg

Edited by Andy Y
Image removed due to copyright breach.

I do not think that a yellow end really makes a safety difference when the loco is coming towards an pedestrian observer with the headlights on. I prefer the original design. For someone approaching from the rear as a pedestrian the yellow end would not be more visible than bright red lights. Approaching at low speed in another loco to couple up I can't see the yellow end having a real safety impact whether showing red or white lights.

Dapol’s rendition of the colour breaks looks spot on. They have said on the Dapol digest that they use train operators’ colour references, though they can sometimes make the model look too dark and might need tweaking a bit.

Why? Early BR Green Diesels and Electrics didn’t need yellow ends. Locomotives in the USA, Canada and the rest of Europe do not need them.

I think we should remove them and maybe

A) people will be a lot more careful who work on the railway.

B) People who trespass on the railway should think more carefully before risking their life if it is harder to see what is coming

Until people get wise to the fact that a Yellow cab can’t be treated like a hard hat and protect you from being an idiot.

Anyway, the yellow cab doesn’t make the locomotive any more safe than big flashing lights and a klaxon saying get out of the way!!!

Back on topic - I think it looks better without the yellow ends as the yellow ruins it!

Morning everyone.

Regards,

Roge.

Good

Good point.  I think all the colours seem too light, so hopefully its just a lighting issue with the photograph.  That mid blue seems washed out towards the roof.

These are livery samples, with the very PR stating the liveries are subject to revision. Thus yes, the TPE shall be tweaked before delivery. You shall note that 68019 in prototype form has the vossloh badge that the livery sample is missing too. I am sure by Q4 we shall be delighted (as ever) with these wonderful models.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlLyNKZX4AA2SE-?format=jpg&name=large

Here is a link for anyone without access to Facebook. (With dates and prices)

Remeber 68026 is also a TPE allocated machine and once mk5 sets begin running it won’t be seen on any other traffic types.

The photo is too lo-res to see, but terms of detail differences all of 68019-032 have a dot matrix destination display inside the cab and a new square multiple working connector to talk to the DVT and open doors etc.. Both are probably easily achievable with plasticard.

I better get on with doing my mk5s then...

Edit: The Models in the photos don’t even have buffers yet so maybe it’s a bit unfair of me to start looking for individual detail differences.

just wondering but has anyone said anything about mk5's? :mail: and a DVT of course.

just wondering but has anyone said anything about mk5's? :mail: and a DVT of course.

Not that I’m aware of.

I am in the process of designing bodyshells of Mk5 coaches and the DT to be 3D printed which will be available on Shapeways.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130381-caf-mark-5-coach-in-4mm-scratchbuild/

Edited by cal.n

Good

The prototype picture looks to be on a very dull day. The model picture will have been taken under bright studio lighting. (CJL)

These are livery samples, with the very PR stating the liveries are subject to revision. Thus yes, the TPE shall be tweaked before delivery. You shall note that 68019 in prototype form has the vossloh badge that the livery sample is missing too. I am sure by Q4 we shall be delighted (as ever) with these wonderful models.

Yes, you're quite right it does say that.  I hadn't intended to sound like I was slagging the model off!  Just trying to offer some feedback in a positive manner (hopefully) before it's too late and they're getting hammered in magazine reviews.

I look forward to the revised production version.  Do you think it'll have a working DCC controlled destination screen?! (Haha!)

Early BR Green Diesels and Electrics didn’t need yellow ends. Locomotives in the USA, Canada and the rest of Europe do not need them.

I think we should remove them and maybe

A) people will be a lot more careful who work on the railway.

Clearly a comment from someone who doesn't work on the railway.  With all due respect, the above is a daft sentiment, bordering on suggesting that operators should deliberately make trains less visible in order to improve staff concentration.  May we ask what it is you do for a living?

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Clearly a comment from someone who doesn't work on the railway.  With all due respect, the above is a daft sentiment, bordering on suggesting that operators should deliberately make trains less visible in order to improve staff concentration.  May we ask what it is you do for a living?

Going O/T. Shame that HCB17's post wasn't in the prototype discussion yellow ends thread - now that would have been good to watch......

(edited for clarity)

Edited by newbryford