Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

I love the variety in this thread. And the imagination which drives it.

Here's my attempt at a suggestion of slidebar/crosshead on the  Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. Mostly brass wire, tube and scrap etch. The cylinders are cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil. Not too accurate but it works

Very smart, Tully! Great work!

Nice! Is that a cut down funnel or replacement?

Many thanks. The funnel is a turned brass replacement - 51L range from Wizard Models. It's actually a L&Y Pug chimney so not strictly accurate but neither is the rest of the model! it was in the bits box and my Smokey Joe starting point was bought second hand with a missing funnel. 

Looking at the photo again, I really need to do something about that motor retaining spring! Difficult to disguise.

Many thanks. The funnel is a turned brass replacement - 51L range from Wizard Models. It's actually a L&Y Pug chimney so not strictly accurate but neither is the rest of the model! it was in the bits box and my Smokey Joe starting point was bought second hand with a missing funnel. 

Looking at the photo again, I really need to do something about that motor retaining spring! Difficult to disguise.

Big toolbox on the running plate perhaps.

• Like 2

Bucket with a coiled up hosepipe shoved in it? You know the way hosepipes uncoil themselves and get everywhere...

Of course you'd have to have something else on the other side too. Maybe a length of chain or rope hanging from the handrail, y'know, conveniently in the right place.

The funnel conversion really makes the engine stand apart. I've seen so many repaints of this loco (I've done it myself) and your eye can't help but paint in the Caledonian blue livery or 'SmOkEY J0E' scrawled on the side, but yours actually looks like a different engine!

How about this as a Pugbash, converting an Austerity saddle tank into a tender engine?

It has already been done in 1:1 scale as a RTR pugbashing modification with the saddle tank converted to tender loco 2890 which was on branch line duty at GCR Ruddington near Nottingham on Sunday, a charming little modification job. Is it possible to do a 4mm version of this with the new DJ Austerity J94 saddle tank?

post-6220-0-74194600-1530638414_thumb.jpg

First converted from an engine that had been used for combustion experiments it had a single level footplate and had a very square look. Later it was changed again to have a slight step down in the front footplate which gives a more pleasing look.

In a serious note does this indicate that the stock of heritage loco's are wearing out and now it's easier to build from new or re-purpose more recent stuff like the austerity? I also cite the case of the

• Like 5

36063748_1725027384241573_49649470742284

A OO9 0-6-0 of no real origin. Dapol Pug Footplate and saddle tank, Hornby 700 chimney, Bachmann J72 cab and a Bachmann USA 0-8-0 chassis.

Big, brutish, horrible and probably not something that would work in real life. Doesn't mean I don't like it however.  :onthequiet:

There is only one word for this beast, Fantastic!!!!!!!

Great Work!

C.

I love the variety in this thread. And the imagination which drives it.

Here's my attempt at a suggestion of slidebar/crosshead on the  Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. Mostly brass wire, tube and scrap etch. The cylinders are cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil. Not too accurate but it works

Nice!

Excellent job.

C.

Yesterday these two engines were identical attachicon.gifIMG_20180703_214242.jpg

I'm going for something like Boulton's Dwarf

attachicon.gif26231600_144715279647731_5664046994319883508_n.jpg

I'll be watching with interest. While I'm very grateful to manufacturers for their recent interest in industrial prototypes, no one does any of those classic mid-Victorian locos, so I'd love to see a bash of one.

• RMweb Premium

How about this as a Pugbash, converting an Austerity saddle tank into a tender engine?

It has already been done in 1:1 scale as a RTR pugbashing modification with the saddle tank converted to tender loco 2890 which was on branch line duty at GCR Ruddington near Nottingham on Sunday, a charming little modification job. Is it possible to do a 4mm version of this with the new DJ Austerity J94 saddle tank?

attachicon.gifP1010023a.JPG

First converted from an engine that had been used for combustion experiments it had a single level footplate and had a very square look. Later it was changed again to have a slight step down in the front footplate which gives a more pleasing look.

In a serious note does this indicate that the stock of heritage loco's are wearing out and now it's easier to build from new or re-purpose more recent stuff like the austerity? I also cite the case of the

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/2890-hunslet/

• Like 1

The dome off a Holden 101 pocket rocket and some scrap brass later, the engine has something resembling a cab

attachicon.gifIMG_20180704_151145.jpg

Its still very rough, but cost so far is nothing

attachicon.gifIMG_20180704_170616.jpg

That is georgeous!!

Love the beading round the cab.

Could I suggest a hatch in the cab backsheet for the poor fireman. It is going to be a beggar to clean the fire out with the long shovel as it stands!!!

Speaking from experience on the TR in the 70s it can be a swine on a boiling day like today!!!

Still haven't worked out how the North Eastern boys did it on the the Y6 to Y8 0-4-0s!!!

C.

• Like 3

That is georgeous!!

Love the beading round the cab.

Could I suggest a hatch in the cab backsheet for the poor fireman. It is going to be a beggar to clean the fire out with the long shovel as it stands!!!

Speaking from experience on the TR in the 70s it can be a swine on a boiling day like today!!!

Still haven't worked out how the North Eastern boys did it on the the Y6 to Y8 0-4-0s!!!

C.

I second that notion.

By the way Chris, any updates on the Beast of Manchester? The thought of seeing that 2-8-0 finished is tantalising...

• Like 1

There is a severe shortage of small Tender engines in preservation, and something of a glut of tanks, sort of supply and demand.   The WSR 9351 has far more room on the footplate than in its former tank configuration which makes it far more suitable for Driver experience sessions and the like and the same may apply to the former Austerity. 

I second that notion.

By the way Chris, any updates on the Beast of Manchester? The thought of seeing that 2-8-0 finished is tantalising...

She still is progressing. The basic assemblies are soldered and epoxied together and I'm still endeavouring to finalise chimnies, wether to keep the snifting valve, driving side etc!!

The elephant in the room is the idea to power the beast with a motor in the tender and a cardan shaft!!

I have put that on hold until September when, all being well, I can have a face to face with Chris from High Level who makes the relevant bits, at Scaleforum North at Partington.

I'm doing chemo all summer and, to tell the truth, I just want to play trains rather than do a lot!!

I've also just come back from a marvellous week at the Worth Valley doing their 50th Anniversary do!

Royal Scot full chat, Nice!! S160 runs, tidy!! Pannier tank, a Kerr Stuart one at that!, Coal Tank, Ivatt and some great old coaches to travel in!!

I've been a member since 1974 so I couldn't miss that!!

I'm at that ruminating bit of a build now, where you get it sorted and progress!!

She will arise though!!!

Chris.

• Like 2

Here's a product of the BNR's workshops which didn't quite work out.  A Triang Top Tank with separate handrails and a few other additions on a Dapol Terrier chassis.  It was difficult to find a good way of fixing the chassis to the body, so that it could be removed for maintenance while permitting a nice interior for the crew.  It was also a noisy runner and the chassis being designed for a tight space was a bit fiddly.  The Top Tank has now been rebuilt with one of the latest tamed Hornby 0-4-0 chassis which the body fits like a glove.

post-34152-0-48797200-1530947244.jpg

• Like 4

As if I haven't got enough!!!

Triang Polly body with an Electron 0-6-0 chassis!!!

Right, that is 'The Beast of Manchester!!!'

ruminating stage.

A brass body for £5 on Eface which will be massacred!!

An unmade Jamieson 0-4-0 freelance tank unmade!!!

My 4 Electroen 0-6-0's all run beautifully!!

Lets see what happens!!!!!!!

c.

That's the engine I am currently making and working on at the moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a nice bash of the tri-ang dock shunter I stumbled across online.

post-898-0-38202000-1531208321.jpg

post-898-0-53595800-1531208345.jpg

from...

http://essexmodelsandminiatures.co.uk/blog/trains-and-railway-layouts/my-model-railway-project/model-railway-renovations-and-conversions/triang-diesel-dock-shunter-conversion-1/

I think this would look rather nice on the outside framed 08 chassis.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1