Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading an article by Gordon Gravett about his first narrow gauge layout in railway modeller back in the 80s and he described the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis as having the running characteristics of a startled rabbit :-)  Perhaps the Chinese ones are better?  

The current version of the Railroad 0-4-0 chassis does have somewhat slower running than the previous scalded cat behaviour (or startled rabbit if you prefer).

I think the change came considerably after the move to China, though.

• Like 2

.... The loco runs really well and I think it's due to one or two things; firstly I spent a long time adjusting the wheels so that they were accurately quartered and making sure that the pickups were constantly in contact with all wheels. Secondly there is a lot of lead in the loco now in every available space. 

A timely reminder that there are no substitutes for patience and careful attention to detail. The info in your blog, and in the video which you provide a link for, has all been very useful. Thank you. I've faffed about trying to build crossheads and slide bars for the Hornby chassis out of stray bits of brass sheet and wire. The results have been pretty ramshackle. This has given me the impetus to try again. Thankfully there seems to be an infinite supply of second hand Hornby chassis out there. 

A timely reminder that there are no substitutes for patience and careful attention to detail. The info in your blog, and in the video which you provide a link for, has all been very useful. Thank you. I've faffed about trying to build crossheads and slide bars for the Hornby chassis out of stray bits of brass sheet and wire. The results have been pretty ramshackle. This has given me the impetus to try again. Thankfully there seems to be an infinite supply of second hand Hornby chassis out there. 

I got the idea from here :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1zu9krSc8

I bought one of the Smallbrook kits but, finding it really unsuitable for my purposes I only salvaged the cylinders, and even those, I re-shaped to a profile that suited me better.  I did use "Teacher Tiger"'s method but I reinforced the attachment of the cylinders to the chassis very heavily, rather than relying on a joint susceptible to a shearing force.  I'm guessing that it wouldn't be that hard to form cylindrical cylinders from plastic rod, and that might that the route I would go on another occasion.

I knew that I wasn't going to be building something that would ever get featured in Model Railway Journal :) but it was definitely a worthwhile exercise.  Thanks for your encouragement :)

Edited by Stringfingerling

Love your work. No wonder that Hornby 'silver' motor was fast, I think it was the same one they put in Scalextric cars! Having said that my old Caley Pugs always ran quite well. I think the only Portescap that struggled with feedback controllers was the smallest, the 1219, due to the tiny size of its moving parts, it didn't have the inertia to cope with the pulses of power.

Love your work. No wonder that Hornby 'silver' motor was fast, I think it was the same one they put in Scalextric cars! Having said that my old Caley Pugs always ran quite well. I think the only Portescap that struggled with feedback controllers was the smallest, the 1219, due to the tiny size of its moving parts, it didn't have the inertia to cope with the pulses of power.

Thank you very much Barclay!

I have a few Portescaps and I think the ones I bought first are quite a bit better than the last ones I bought . I'm guessing that the later ones had less accurately made gears and consequently are noisier . I have a couple of the 1624's and they are practically silent and beautifully smooth . I did buy two Pentrollers many years ago but I was a bit disappointed with the fine speed control compared to the ECM controller I mentioned in my post.

It might be a bit expensive, but the Hornby looks like a good model either just needs a bigger cab for O16.5 or the mechanism would make a good chassis donor for a pug.

DSC_6662_lr-1024x612.jpg

• RMweb Premium

And absolutely perfect as it stands for 4 foot gauge 'narrow' gauge lines too  sc4ViDY.png

Sorry, my old finescale tendencies managed to escape their secure confinement and escape for a moment there.

And absolutely perfect as it stands for 4 foot gauge 'narrow' gauge lines too  sc4ViDY.png

Sorry, my old finescale tendencies managed to escape their secure confinement and escape for a moment there.

Maybe so, but you do have an excellent point.

This is not a Pug or Jinty, but a devils brew of Rivarossi 2-8-0, a very old Rivarossi 2-8-0 and the bits of a part built NuCast K1 kit I had in my 'Loft Insulation.'

I had a chat to the Alchemist about doing this, having seen his excellent Edward Bradleigh.

This really is a bits and pieces of a work in progress. Only just begun.

The origonal model.

The chassis, the problem is the huge motor!

The tender with a size comparason with an L&Y A Class.

A sort of dry run with the bits of the kit.

I know it looks a bit like an O1, but I think I can lower it a bit and search my bits collection for a different cab and fittings.

I've got a Giesel ejector somewhere!

I'll post more when I've done more fiddling.

Chris.

Looks like a candidate for motor in the tender a la N gauge Dapol with a small diameter drive shaft and a couple of U/J s to free up space in the cab

Edited by DavidCBroad

Looks like a candidate for motor in the tender a la N gauge Dapol with a small diameter drive shaft and a couple of U/J s to free up space in the cab

Do you know what? The way Rivarossi built the chassis, you could use their final drive and a tender mounted motor.

I might have a word with Chris at High Level, he does eldritch drive trains!!

Chris.

• Like 1

Do you know what? The way Rivarossi built the chassis, you could use their final drive and a tender mounted motor.

I might have a word with Chris at High Level, he does eldritch drive trains!!

Chris.

Seeing as I am the one who inspired the build I look forward to seeing the result!

And absolutely perfect as it stands for 4 foot gauge 'narrow' gauge lines too sc4ViDY.png

Prototype for 00 gauge?

I'll get my hat and coat...

post-29975-0-02690800-1525712400.png

post-29975-0-53972400-1525712447_thumb.jpg

post-29975-0-78705800-1525712460.jpg

post-29975-0-15442000-1525712485_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Neilson tanks?

Although the middle two actually look more Manning-Wardle-ish...

Yes, the middle two are the MW 'Rosalind' which worked the lower part of the Saundersfoot Railway. I've always thought a model of that in 00 would be nice, but it is *tiny* (wheelbase scales out at 18mm!) so I have been unable to source a suitable chassis (other than possibly BEC tram chassis), hence never having built it!

A second 4' gauge loco, the Kerr Stuart 'Bull Dog' worked the upper part of the railway.

• Like 3

Yes, the middle two are the MW 'Rosalind' which worked the lower part of the Saundersfoot Railway. I've always thought a model of that in 00 would be nice, but it is *tiny* (wheelbase scales out at 18mm!) so I have been unable to source a suitable chassis (other than possibly BEC tram chassis), hence never having built it!

A second 4' gauge loco, the Kerr Stuart 'Bull Dog' worked the upper part of the railway.

Hmm. Funny that, my No.1 (a Nellie refurb featured earlier in this thread) is also named Bulldog. Just comes as an interesting coincidence to me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having grown up in that part of the world, I highly recommend walking the parts of the railway converted to footpaths around Saundersfoot, Wiseman's Bridge and Stepaside, especially the tunnel through the cliff.

In my youth I cycled the farm track from above Kilgetty towards Thomas Chapel colliery.  The mud in the lane (50 years after closure of the railway) was so abrasive with coal dust, my speedo drive wheel was worn smooth and unusable afterwards.

(Edited when I realised I'd got my colliery names/locations mixed up)

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 3