Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Yes the Caley Pug is quite a smooth runner though it will go like a rocket if you turn the power up too far !

Unless you use thick plasticard I would make sure you brace it well inside to prevent warping in the future - I made a body for Kerr Stuart KS4421 when I was about your age and 35 years later it's a bit wavy....

Got it.

This might be a silly suggestion, but if cash is a factor, then what you could do is make a cardboard mock-up using cereal packets etc, so you can work out exactly how much styrene you need, and how you plan to mount it on the chassis, and you can get all that development work out of the way without using the styrene etc. which costs money? What I'm thinking is you could get your eye in with the cheap cardboard as practice?

Wilko, Poundland and The Works often stock cheapo packs of card for craft projects, could be an idea?

This might be a silly suggestion, but if cash is a factor, then what you could do is make a cardboard mock-up using cereal packets etc, so you can work out exactly how much styrene you need, and how you plan to mount it on the chassis, and you can get all that development work out of the way without using the styrene etc. which costs money? What I'm thinking is you could get your eye in with the cheap cardboard as practice?

If you are really hard up (or a tight fisted Yorkshire pensioner like me) why bother with the plastacard at all?

There have been other threads on RMWeb about modelling with card so one can always continue down that road

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

The current version of the Railroad 0-4-0 chassis does have somewhat slower running than the previous scalded cat behaviour (or startled rabbit if you prefer).

I think the change came considerably after the move to China, though.

An old post above but, if possible, can anyone identify when the change over happened and which models are the later, smoother version?

Hattons are offering a R3292 for just £16 at the moment (Sale of the Century). It's very tempting but, as I already have one of the older versions, I would prefer the later chassis so does anyone know which version this is? Hattons note that it is a 2014 club edition. 

Having looked at so many brilliant conversions on this thread I am very tempted to have a go myself now.

I have "tamed" my old one to a large extent by putting a DCC chip inside but it would be nice to get any further improvement with the later chassis. 

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Edited by highpeakman

An old post above but, if possible, can anyone identify when the change over happened and which models are the later, smoother version?

Hattons are offering a R3292 for just £16 at the moment (Sale of the Century). It's very tempting but, as I already have one of the older versions, I would prefer the later chassis so does anyone know which version this is? Hattons note that it is a 2014 club edition. 

Having looked at so many brilliant conversions on this thread I am very tempted to have a go myself now.

I have "tamed" my old one to a large extent by putting a DCC chip inside but it would be nice to get any further improvement with the later chassis. 

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

The new chassis has been on the go a few years so the 2014 model should have the new one in.

I've just taken delivery of one of these from Hattons. Straight out of the box it runs smoothly and is much less "startled rabbit" than any of the older secondhand ones I've bought on eBay. As a result I've now ordered two more. At that price, too good to miss. And if the planned Pug bashes don't pan out well, at least it won't have broken the bank!

Go for it!

Alan 

• RMweb Gold

I've just taken delivery of one of these from Hattons. Straight out of the box it runs smoothly and is much less "startled rabbit" than any of the older secondhand ones I've bought on eBay. As a result I've now ordered two more. At that price, too good to miss. And if the planned Pug bashes don't pan out well, at least it won't have broken the bank!

Go for it!

Alan 

Thanks very indeed much for the information.

As you say, too good to miss. I have placed my order now and look forward to a bit of Pug Bashing.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very indeed much for the information.

As you say, too good to miss. I have placed my order now and look forward to a bit of Pug Bashing.

Just running this model on my rolling road and the running is in a different class altogether to the originals. A fantastic value model that, as seen from the above posts in this forum, cries out to be worked on.

• Like 1

My pugbash is going even further into scratchbuilding. I had the rods from the Branchlines chassis kit made up and trial-fitted them but the front wheelset was wobbly, so I took the rods off and removed the wheels. I then lost the rods and a wheel. I have since found the wheel but despite almost turning the shed upside down in looking for them, the rods are still AWOL. I'm going to have to make a set from scratch.

I have made a new set and have had the chassis running but the wheels are still wobbly. I'll finish the cosmetic work and see how long I can stand the wobble before I buy some more wheels, bin the Branchlines chassis and build my own instead. Photos, tomorrow. Probably.