DEMU Showcase 2010

PeteScR

Being a steam fan I dithered about going to this but I'm glad I did go as all the layouts were excellent and well worth seeing. Harton Gill won my own personal world cup but only on penalties...........

The organisers also need big congrats for raising the bar with regard to exhibition venue. Easy to find and park, bright airy hall and top food.....Sunday roast carvery for £5.95 takes some beating. smile.gif

Graham

Thank you to Pete and the organising committee; an exceptionally enjoyable event with some cracking content even if I am hoarse from talking most of the weekend (no change there then)! Nice to meet so many faces and a chance to catch up with members from far and wide with a lot of interest from newbies too.

The standing of the event is obviously recognised by the manufacturers and their support and involvement, this has probably been one of the best weekends I've seen for announcements and work-in-progress brought to the end customer.

This was probably one of the friendliest shows I've been to from the 'paying public' perspective with a higher level of knowledge and understanding than most other shows.

Early morning was a good chance to wander round and catch some layouts in diffused natural light before exhibitors' lights go on.

Click images for full screen.

Harton Gill

Harton1.jpg

Harton2.jpg

Harton3.jpg

Harton4.jpg

Airthrey Park

Airthrey1.jpg

Airthrey2.jpg

Airthrey3.jpg

Portchullin

Port1.jpg

Port2.jpg

Port3.jpg

Port4.jpg

Port5.jpg

Port6.jpg

Port8.jpg

Port7.jpg

Port9.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Thanks to those who've posted photos.

I had an excellent time - good selection of high quality layouts and trade.

And very impressed with the venue - especially the catering and the parking!

cheers

Ben A.

Cracking show. I really enjoyed operating Oulton TMD this weekend.

The quality of layouts at the show was superb and all operators were friendly.

The really interesting part of the show was at the end when everyone was packing up...

post-7486-127645007884_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127645011895_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127645015409_thumb.jpg

Couple of piccies of Oulton as we packed away - Wish we had a small N gauge as one layout was packed and out the door in 10 minutes.

Thanks to all the organisers...

Jeff

I'd like to express my thanks to Pete and the team for arranging another thoroughly enjoyable exhibition, I really enjoyed myself again this year. It was nice to meet fellow RMwebbers old and new, and I was kept pretty busy all weekend with the weathering demo.

I was there today, my first visit to the new venue which is a quantum leap of an improvement on Burton town hall. I wouldn't describe myself as a modern traction enthusiast but I do need to know about certain aspects of it. A few random thoughts follow.

Birmingham New Street - absolutely must be seen in the flesh. Jim has kept us up-to-date with its evolution on this 'ere forum but to see it as it evolves is most welcome.

Diesels in the Duchy - a fine tribute to St Blazey, just as impressive on second viewing [the first was at Stafford].

Hendre Lane - another fine and atmospheric layout from Marc Smith, worth more than one look because you don't see all the nice touches [better expression needed!] at first viewing.

Portchullin - oozes the atmosphere of the bleaker part of Scotland, and this time featuring a Class 27 beautifully dirtied. Mark, you are a lucky devil finding that on eBay!

Harton Gill - what a mixture, vintage industrial overhead electrics, a Clayton that moves, a fine variety of wagons, a couple of dmus and well chosen buildings.

There wasn't a duff layout there but those I have mentioned impressed me the most.

I hope I have convinced JamesHam that he should write up what he is doing with dmus. For now, be content that he has some very interesting and ingenious ideas and I thank him for the sneak preview.

Chris

I hope I have convinced JamesHam that he should write up what he is doing with dmus. For now, be content that he has some very interesting and ingenious ideas and I thank him for the sneak preview.

Chris

Sounds very interesting chris - yes more DMU modelling is always welcomesmile.gif

tfn

Jon

I thought this was a top class show and very well organised. The accommodation for exhibitors at the Centre was excellent. No problems with set up or knock down. No delays getting away at the end.

I was pretty restrained with the camera this time but did record the key new additions to the fleet, as well as some of the more familiar stock.

Graham's Heljan Clayton, still in need of some weathering but the important thing is that it runs well:

P1050251as.jpg

Harton Gill station now has third rail. This is a Judith Edge kit built by Graham:

P1050248as.jpg

Unusual to have natural sunlight:

P1050257as.jpg

Two less common views of the Cravens unit:

P1050262as.jpg

P1050261as.jpg

And the familiar Harton electric locos scratchbuilt by Graham:

P1050260as.jpg

Plenty of good layouts at the show. This DMU on Easington Lane reminded me that I should run mixed livery DMUs more often on Marton Central:

P1050265as.jpg

• RMweb Gold

My first visit and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some very well thought out and presented layouts, plenty of room to circulate and everyone willing to chat.

Good selection of traders.

The whole event was a treat, well done to everyone who organised, assisted, exhibited or in anyway helped your work was much appreciated by all of the visitors.

Michael

First time at a DEMU show and I enjoyed every minute!

Some absolutely jaw-dropping modelling on show - a vested interest in Portchullin and Airthrey Park considering my prototype preferences but the majority of the layouts on show were exceptional. One or two lost a bit of shine running 'out of the box' stock - especially when the layouts themselves were beautifully detailed - but it's hardly a major dint in what was an all star cast. Did feel like buying one or two a few BR loco number transfers though! ;)

With some top trader support, and far too many opportunities to talk to various people and friends new and old, I ended up staying five hours....and wish i'd had more!

Thanks go to those who posted all those lovely pics. It is too far for me to go to the real Showcase so those pics are the next best thing - almost as goodas actually being there, such is their quality.

smile.gif

Had a very enjoyable visit to DEMU yesterday with Grimley Senior, our thanks to those that organised the event. Saw Andy Y and a few RM web members which was good.

Really enjoyed seeing so many excellent layouts, especially P4 New Street, Airthrey Park, Hendre Lane, and Diesels in the Duchy. Great show.

Thanks to Andy and James, especially, and the others who have added some photos of the show on here. I was not able to go due to be away on a stag weekend and came on here the moment I got back to have a look at anyones comments so thank you for sharing and hopeful will keep the date free for next year. There are some layouts I have never seen that look really good so will need to keep an eye out for them at other shows although I am looking forward to Perth to see Airthey Park in its 93 period though. If anyone is going I will hopefully get to meet some of you there on the Saturday as I will be helping Phil on the DEMU stand for the first time.

Thanks for sharing all those great pictures.

Mark

Well we got Airthrey Park back to Stirling in one piece and overtook a Pendolino and Porsche Turbo on the way home!

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would love to be invited back. Great show, great layouts, great company , great beer (Thanks to Burton Bridge Brewery!)

Never done so much gassing about diesels in two days before. Haven't got any photos yet (our photographer got on a Eurostar to Paris this morning without time to download)

Many thanks to our guest operators (from DRS, East Midlands Trains, Network Rail, Virgin West Coast....and Bank Of America.....you think I am joking!?)

Moment of the weekend was the 40 the beds driven by Mr I Munro of Direct Rail Services or the bizarre appearance of CP Portugal EE 1412 and Bombardier 1965 in Central Scotland.

Best show we have been at for years.

If anyone is interested we will be at Perth Show in two weeks time with the first outing of a 1993 fleet, then Ayr in September, Falkirk in November and finally Wigan Show in December with Airthrey Park.

Thanks to all involved at DEMU.

Simon and Andrew and the AP Crew

Thanks guys - glad my snapping was appreciated. I'd echo everyone elses comments about it being a great show. Good balance of trade and layouts with the right focus! :)

Since I've been back I've made more progress on my layout then in the previous 12 months put together - on the flip side, after seeing such great modelling I'm feeling a little disillusioned... ah well such is life! :)

See you all again next year for sure!

Hi All

the lads from Wexford Ireland arrived home safely at 11.50 pm

after a fab day out we left at 3.00 am and flew via Dublin and

Ryanair IMHO this was the best showcase I have been at since first

comming over in 2005 and have been every year since roll on 2011

it was great meeting old and new friends well done to all

David Heath Wexford M R C

My visit to DEMU Showcase was part of my World Cup avoidance strategy and it was well worth the journey.

Like a couple of others on this thread, I'm a committed steam fan, but I appreciate great modelling in any scale, gauge or era and Showcase did not disappoint. Great layouts, well presented in a good venue and lots of friendly operators keen to talk about their work.

Definitely worth a repeat visit.

Andy

I would like to register a very sincere thank you to everyone here on RMWeb for their support and kind words following DEMU Showcase 2010.

Even I must agree the standard of the exhibits when all put together in the one hall was of the highest order and I have all the layout owners to thank for that.

I judge the success of the event by feedback and comments we have received and it seems we have met our customers expectations. We realise many of you travel a great distance to the event so it is gratifying to know you felt the journey was worth it.

I have far to many people to thank and have done so face to face as much as possible but you all know who you are. It is your success also!

I believe the show is now established in the eyes of the railway modelling manufacturers and modelling press. One of my objectives was to ensure they are part of our event, and now we have them making exclusive announcements at the show and forging closer links with D&E modellers by their attendance. They are now big fans of the event!

This was my last year as DEMU Showcase Exhibition Manager having run the event for the last 4 years. I will be succeeded by Bill Wilson who has been my right hand man during those 4 years, and helping him when I can.

I will be posting a list of the Prize Draw winners on the DEMU Website, and if you have won a prize we will get it to you ASAP.

So thanks again for all your support and get D&E modelling! We need a stream of great layouts

Pete Degnan

Ex-DEMU Showcase Exhibition Manager ;)

Portchullin is now saving tucked up in bed in the loft and its owner recovered!

A good weekend out so thanks Pete for the invite.

The early morning light was indeed very effective Andy, some very nice photo's there indeed. I look forward to further correspondance on those! If anybody else has some good photo's, I would love to have sight of them as I did not have my camera there and thus have none of my own. Can you drop me a PM if you do?

Portchullin is now saving tucked up in bed in the loft and its owner recovered!

A good weekend out so thanks Pete for the invite.

The early morning light was indeed very effective Andy, some very nice photo's there indeed. I look forward to further correspondance on those! If anybody else has some good photo's, I would love to have sight of them as I did not have my camera there and thus have none of my own. Can you drop me a PM if you do?

Hi Mark, I think your layout was one of the highlights of the show, as I knew it would be, and wont forget the "Portchullin Shuffle" on Friday night trying to find the right angle for it. I think there were 8 of us lifting it in its complete built status!

Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding! :D

Pete

Archived