Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

23 hours ago, D9016 said:

Something not quite right with either the yellow band or the bodyside depth.

50015ab.jpg

If you count the number of grilles of the engine room by Cab A of the prototype. The yellow stripe lines up correctly with the model which Brian Daniels has done.

As for the position of the nameplate Brian will defiantly positioned this correctly. If you reduce the height of the stripe then it will not align correctly with the bottom of the cab windows and doors given unless you want unproptionate Hoover.

30 minutes ago, Ressaldar said:

perhaps it is the height/depth size of the engine room windows that is wrong on the model?

regards

Mike

Maybe. Or is the rubber seal around the window slightly thicker on the prototype?

In which case this surely can be easily remedied.

I was concerned about the shape of the front windows; the bottom on Hornby & Lima's OO gauge ones have been level which is not quite right.

I took a close look at this one at Glasgow. The photos do not show it very well but the bottom of the windows angle slightly down towards the outside of the windows.

For me, this was a deciding factor: If they got it right, I would buy one.

Looks like I will have to find £600 now :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2019 at 11:52, Pete the Elaner said:

I was concerned about the shape of the front windows; the bottom on Hornby & Lima's OO gauge ones have been level which is not quite right.

I took a close look at this one at Glasgow. The photos do not show it very well but the bottom of the windows angle slightly down towards the outside of the windows.

For me, this was a deciding factor: If they got it right, I would buy one.

Looks like I will have to find £600 now :blink:

Here's a good example of that head-on view and the angles that Lima and Hornby didn't bother with.

Measuring the real thing, its about 5 degrees.

b21e123001399899d4d08eea10a27f9d (1).jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gary H said:

Here's a good example of that head-on view

Cracking photo. Interesting that the one on the right, which is less head on, looks a little bit more droopy. I think the rake back of the windows adds to the effect.

Also of note, the left one has a plated headcode but no headlight yet. Is that refurbed and lights were fitted slightly later, or pre-refurb but the panels were plated first?

I doubt its a deal breaker for most but I don’t think the revised model has quite captured the character as well as, say, the latest 25.

On 10/03/2019 at 07:41, Hal Nail said:

Also of note, the left one has a plated headcode but no headlight yet. Is that refurbed and lights were fitted slightly later, or pre-refurb but the panels were plated first?

It is not refurbished yet. 6 and 17 had plates fitted to their fronts before the headlights became available but quite a few had the headcode boxes plated over before they were refurbished.

3 and 35 were the first done in 1976 with DMU style light fittings in the headcode boxes, 50007 had no. 1 end also done in a similar way in 1978.

Between 1979 and 1980 the following were done in the style above prior to be refurbished:

5, 10, 11, 14, 20, 24, 27, 30, 46 and 49.

That's all I can find for the time being , I don't think I've missed any.

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, delticfan said:

I’m a bit unsure about the front end but it’s not enough to stop me buying. Large logo for me.

I was unsure with previous pre-production models, particularly the bottom of the windows being flat like on Hornby & Lima models.

Getting this correct was a deal-breaker for me.

The later demo models look a lot better, so I now expect to buy one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is scope for after market glazing here which would help - it looks significantly better on the angles where the glazing is not reflecting.

Thats often the case of course but is more noticeable where locos have large windows such as the (proper) warships and these.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

If the production models come mounted on wood bases like these, then there’s more chance they will survive the postal system rather than MDF ones. My peak ripped itself free because the MDF is nowhere near as strong 

Looking at this closeup, they will. 

0EE88740-0214-4CD7-A131-D9C6C9AE86B6.png

• RMweb Premium

There's a nice curve to the nose/front of the cab evident on the close up of 007 where others have been incorrectly flat and so spoiling the cab.

I would have liked to have seen that angle that the windscreens slope down at each side just a smidge more but Heljan have done a good job here where everyone else has so far failed.

I will certainly be having one of these now!

One minor criticism which could easily be rectified, even made by the modeller, is the missing coupling guard which is attached to the bottom of the bufferbeam . A simple moulded 'plug-in' part perhaps. https://www.flickr.com/photos/10651736@N02/6084675595/in/faves-93867311@N07/

Edited by Gary H

20 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looking at this closeup, they will. 

0EE88740-0214-4CD7-A131-D9C6C9AE86B6.png

I saw that in the photos which is why I hope it is the same for the production bases. MDF May be cheaper, but it rips apart and then locos get returned damaged.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2019 at 22:28, Gary H said:

Here's a good example of that head-on view and the angles that Lima and Hornby didn't bother with.

Measuring the real thing, its about 5 degrees.

b21e123001399899d4d08eea10a27f9d (1).jpg

On 10/03/2019 at 15:54, Flood said:

It is not refurbished yet. 6 and 17 had plates fitted to their fronts before the headlights became available but quite a few had the headcode boxes plated over before they were refurbished.

3 and 35 were the first done in 1976 with DMU style light fittings in the headcode boxes, 50007 had no. 1 end also done in a similar way in 1978.

Between 1979 and 1980 the following were done in the style above prior to be refurbished:

5, 10, 11, 14, 20, 24, 27, 30, 46 and 49.

That's all I can find for the time being , I don't think I've missed any.

The weathering on the plated headcode reminds me of 50014. The other is 50002.

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 05:27, delticfan said:

I love the GEC logo on the multiple working gear...nice touch. I’m a bit unsure about the front end but it’s not enough to stop me buying. Large logo for me.

Nice touch maybe.... but ive never seen it on the real thing, im unsure why its even there.

I think they look good, I do hope they realise the yellow panel on the revised NSE where it wraps around the sides is all wrong.

For me, the best one of the lot has to be the original NSE, that looks spot on to me.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Nice touch maybe.... but ive never seen it on the real thing, im unsure why its even there.

It is there Steve just not picked out in white.

15 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I think they look good, I do hope they realise the yellow panel on the revised NSE where it wraps around the sides is all wrong.

Blimey I hadn't noticed that! They seem to have put a curve on the sides rather than the triangle, and the 'bonnet' top is all wrong too the yellow goes up under the handrails.

On 17/06/2019 at 11:14, Temeraire said:

It is there Steve just not picked out in white.

Blimey I hadn't noticed that! They seem to have put a curve on the sides rather than the triangle, and the 'bonnet' top is all wrong too the yellow goes up under the handrails.

They do know, I have spoken with Ben about it.

cheers

Shane