Control panels: DCC Concepts Alpha versus Lots of wires, which way to go?

Vistisen

It does not mimic the points' positions, as changing a point using the accessory controls on my powercab does not result in the LED's changing in sync with the points. 

I used the Alpha Minic panel to drive the LED's, just plugs into the DCC Bus (regardless of DCC system) and 'mimics' any DCC accessory command sent to the DCC bus.

The Panel indicates up to 12 turnouts (24 panel mount LEDs supplied) or can be daisy chained with another 'Mimic' panel(s) for more.

post-11105-0-87699300-1520703537_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-96221400-1520703460_thumb.jpg

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am at a loss on the point you are trying to make - the point I made was that the Cobalt stuff is very expensive and for me an iPad was a cheaper solution.

You have then jumped in showing how clever and knowledgeable you are on all things yet ignore the simple point I was making which is that the Cobalt switches are very expensive immaterial of what or how you connect them into.

post-408-0-31900700-1520714771_thumb.jpg

Iain,

The point you were trying to make was that it was cheaper to use a cast off ipad - which it probably is with a Z21

The point I was trying to make was that the OP wasn't using a Z21, so what use was an ipad?

As for expensive - I know how much time it takes to wire a portable layout with conventional analog control and two wire systems.

My panel on page 1 was wired in a couple of hours with literally two soldered joints with another 20 or so to connect it to four boards.

Doing the same in analog would probably be about two days work and hundreds of soldered joints including the connections to four baseboards.

And then 2-3 days work wiring the layout, rather than less than 1

Factor the time as cost and then the Alpha system starts to look favourable on that front.

I know you're against Alpha and I'm not, so let's agree to disagree.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am at a loss on the point you are trying to make - the point I made was that the Cobalt stuff is very expensive and for me an iPad was a cheaper solution.

You have then jumped in showing how clever and knowledgeable you are on all things yet ignore the simple point I was making which is that the Cobalt switches are very expensive immaterial of what or how you connect them into.

My immediate thought on reading this is how rude and and argumentative. 

Iain,

The point you were trying to make was that it was cheaper to use a cast off ipad - which it probably is with a Z21

The point I was trying to make was that the OP wasn't using a Z21, so what use was an ipad?

As for expensive - I know how much time it takes to wire a portable layout with conventional analog control and two wire systems

Factor the time as cost and then the Alpha system starts to look favourable on that front......

I know you're against Alpha and I'm not, so let's agree to disagree.

I'm not really wanting to get into the arguments here, but I am discussing panels with a layout owner who has an NCE system (Powercab at present, but may upgrade to PowerPro). Alpha is one option we're looking at.

iPads and Android devices and the like - connecting to NCE is fairly cheap, requires NCE USB device for PowerCab, or a USB-serial device for PowerPro, plus a £35 Raspberry Pi. That gives touch panel control of everything.

Alternative to Alpha input board is an NCE MiniPanel, which my sums suggest is a good bit cheaper per turnout controlled. And for LED illumination on the panel, the cheapest accessory decoder you can find (DIY at under 50p per controlled LED).

We're considering the cost (Inc time) of a good switch and light panel against software touch screen panels,and also debating tactile feel of good switches.

Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• 7 months later...