Holt Model Railways/Mikes Models

landscapes

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, very much a blast from the past.  I did contact Philip and actually got some things I wanted.  Some of my wish list was stuck at the caster he told me.  I tried to re-establish contact but no go.  Really a shame, Mikes Models are very good indeed.

Here's what I found:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mikesmodel/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Quite pathetic

John

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2019 at 23:32, brossard said:

Yes, very much a blast from the past.  I did contact Philip and actually got some things I wanted.  Some of my wish list was stuck at the caster he told me.  I tried to re-establish contact but no go.  Really a shame, Mikes Models are very good indeed.

Here's what I found:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mikesmodel/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Quite pathetic

John

That's not Mike's Models.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Mike's Models are a range of whitemetal kits sold by Holt Models in Bishopston (just outside Swansea)

The range of models was inherited from Mike Sharman - hence the name - but still made and sold by Holt's

Holt's are fully functional but their website isn't.  And won't be.  Ring them or pop in and ask them to explain - I felt it was valid

Don't give up on Holt's!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nergle said:

The range of models was inherited from Mike Sharman - hence the name - but still made and sold by Holt's

I never realised this until I read it yesterday in the latest EMGS Newsletter, which contains an obituary for Mike

3 hours ago, Nergle said:

Mike's Models are a range of whitemetal kits sold by Holt Models in Bishopston (just outside Swansea)

Holt's are fully functional but their website isn't.  And won't be.  Ring them or pop in and ask them to explain - I felt it was valid

Don't give up on Holt's!

I emailed Holts several  times over a period to ask if they can produce some items that were on their website when it was live, but got no response. the UK Model Shops site website link goes to Ebay, but has only a few items, including what seems to be some old stock.

That rather gives the impression of a shop/business in decline.

• Agree 1

Popping in from Western Australia?  Fair point

No reply to email and shop in decline?  Well maybe they are in decline a bit.

The conversation that I had with Philip did explain the problem regarding the website.  Not of their making.  They are a small two-person outfit and the admin of running a model shop that includes online sales added to the restrictive practices of some of the bigger suppliers simply makes it not worthwhile.  A shame but I did get it.  That's why I said don't give up on them and call them instead - you know speak with a human instead of bashing a keyboard!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...