Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Works plates. Try Narrow Planet.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles

Fantastic plates but more aimed at the industrials and narrow gauge than main line railways. They also do one offs of things like smokebox door numbers.

Jason

Thanks Jason, Narrow Planet it is; one for a standard gauge industrial will be fine!  Wonder if I can get one that has '1954' visible on it...

• RMweb Gold

Royal Mail were unable to deliver today due to "the property being inaccessable", as the police have cordoned the area off to the body of "a man in his 20s or 30s" being found a few 100 yards away.

Just had four blokes in white protective suits ferreting around around outside and in the park opposite. 

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

Thanks Jason, Narrow Planet it is; one for a standard gauge industrial will be fine!  Wonder if I can get one that has '1954' visible on it...

I added the Bagnalls just as you posted.

You just have to add the scale, colour and number you want on the page.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2104

Beware you have to wait, they do take time to do and they are taking longer due to Covid restrictions. 

Jason

• RMweb Premium

There’s no problem with the packaging. I can actually do it one handed, some no requirements for a redesign..

The bunker rear steps on the GWR version are part of the cast chassis.

59C4D887-E0C5-41BC-B223-32E339253651.jpeg.eddf8adc0c0f5d116a445183c19e900d.jpeg
I’ve helpfully scratched both parts t show that. It will need real effort to break this casting, and there’s going to be damage to the packaging to achieve it. The cab and footplate steps are similarly cast as one piece.

Perhaps we could see images of the damage to actually understand what’s happening?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

Royal Mail were unable to deliver today due to "the property being innaccessable", as the police have cordoned the area off to the body of " a man in his 20s or 30s" being found a few 100 yards away.

Just had four blokes in white protective suits ferreting around around outside and in the park opposite. 

Sounds like the wrong sort of exciting; BBC Wales News website has few details but pinpoint location of body as Westville Road, and that police are saying the death is 'unexplained' rather than suspicious (so no obvious gunshot or stab wounds, then).  Photo shows Westville cordoned off from both directions on Blenheim.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Sounds like the wrong sort of exciting; BBC Wales News website has few details but pinpoint location of body as Westville Road, and that police are saying the death is 'unexplained' rather than suspicious (so no obvious gunshot or stab wounds, then).  Photo shows Westville cordoned off from both directions on Blenheim.

Correct, just had to go past the "Hobby Bobby" manning the cordon to get out for a walk. No sign of any activity, other than the chilly mortals manning the cordons.

I'm waiting for the knock on the door, "where were you at about 2330 yesterday?" "In the attic supergluing etched brass draincocks to 00 Bulleid Pacifics".

Seriously though, a bit of a shock in this normally sleepy area. More of a shock for the friends and relatives obviously.

So 94xx rescheduled for tomorrow apparently. 

Edited by Tim Hall
Added a bit.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's more the sort of thing that happens down the hill where I live!  Good luck for a delivery tomoz; at least you know that it's in Penarth Road sorting office and will be sent out as soon as the blue tape is gone! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Works plates. Try Narrow Planet.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles

Fantastic plates but more aimed at the industrials and narrow gauge than main line railways. They also do one offs of things like smokebox door numbers.

Here's the Bagnall one.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2104

Jason

Are the bespoke Robert Stephenson ones suitable for the 94xx then Jason.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/npp-213?variant=7040386367554

2 hours ago, PMP said:

There’s no problem with the packaging. I can actually do it one handed, some no requirements for a redesign..

I’ve helpfully scratched both parts t show that. It will need real effort to break this casting, and there’s going to be damage to the packaging to achieve it. The cab and footplate steps are similarly cast as one piece.

Perhaps we could see images of the damage to actually understand what’s happening?

GWR model showing as received and where the broken off steps should be, ie, at each end of the bufferbeam. Steps were rattling around in the box, which was still covered in tissue paper. No sign of any damage to box or clear plastic shell.

P1110825.JPG.e2d0a0381c24446ecffc8b61571b8266.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Are the bespoke Robert Stephenson ones suitable for the 94xx then Jason.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/npp-213?variant=7040386367554

No idea to be honest. I'm wondering now whether that size is a bit big for a splasher  Prototype size 13” x 85/8”

The people that make them are on the forum.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/362-planet-industrials/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Norton961 said:

Anyone had a look at the wheels/axle/gear wheel as a precursor to converting to P4? Given the wheels are the same as the 57xx and Ultrascale do a conversion set, will the Ultrascale set fit?

PMP has given the crucial dimensions across the insides of the splashers (metal) further up the thread. Having looked at mine in more detail last night, I can confirm that P4 wheels will NOT fit, unless you machine some metal away from the insides of the splashers.

The axles appear to be 3mm. I do have an Ultrascale 57XX conversions set somewhere, so I'll try to see if they also feature 3mm axles. I can't check them on the 94XX, however, as I have had to return that to the shop, so that they can facilitate a change of wheelsets. Try as I might last night, I could find no way to get the driving wheels on the middle axle to move, in order to restore the OO back-to-back to 14.5mm, to match the other two axles.

If I can sort out a replacement wheelset and provided that sorts the problem on my C&L OO track out, I might be tempted to keep this one in OO and try to find another in due course, for conversion to P4.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

GWR model showing as received and where the broken off steps should be, ie, at each end of the bufferbeam. Steps were rattling around in the box, which was still covered in tissue paper. No sign of any damage to box or clear plastic shell.

P1110825.JPG.e2d0a0381c24446ecffc8b61571b8266.JPG

I’d return it to the retailer for refund if you’re not happy fixing it.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scots region said:

This saga has been a really emotional journey, all the ups and downs, the twists and turns. I really hope you enjoy it. 

If you think sourcing the works plates was an emotional roller coaster, you should see what I've been through with the loco...

Being serious, it's been a long wait with hopes dashed, dissappointment, hopes again, despair, anger, impatience, frustration, expectation, more hopes, more dissappointments, thinking it was all over, finding out it wasn't, and so on.  Bachmann were not to blame for all of this but  were for some of it; they do seem to have learned from the experience and are now doing things differently, at least in the way that they announce and release information to us. 

I am going to open the box as if the secret to the universe was inside made of bone china so thin you could read a newspaper through it.  I am sure that the loco will run well on my layout, and that it will improve over time, as this has been my experience with previous  Bachmanns, and the photos show that the detail is excellent; I am most definitely going to enjoy it! 

The real 94xx were a bit of an oddity, a lumpen sort of shape than not many railwaymen liked very much, the general feeling being that the 57xx and 8750 were just as good and the brakes were easier to reach if you were Casey Jonesing it out of the cab. but I have fond memories of them.  In 1964 an 1965 I got footplate rides on them on the Penrhos Banker, which was enormous fun, and to my callow youth aesthetics I thought they looked modern and powerful (my view was that taper boiler=modern and powerful) but retained the essential GW attributes.  A decemt RTR is long overdue and I am looking forward to it, possibly tomoz, but more likely early next week assuming Rails put mine in the post today as they said they were going to.

It's just occurred to me that I am going to have to find something else to obsess on RMWeb about now!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I was on the verge of getting one of these but got an email from KMRC to say my pre-ordered LSWR livery Hornby T9 No.120 has been despatched today.

I will also have "Bideford" to pay for on my next credit card bill, so ordering a 94xx will have to wait until after the 4th!

John

• Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, PMP said:

My 9402 arrived from Cornwall on Tuesday - I had it out of the box for about five minutes before I spotted that one of the rear footsteps below the bunker was broken off.  The loose part was still in the packaging so I can only assume that the damage occurred in transit.  The model was returned to Cornwall the same day and I understand that the replacement was despatched today.   Lets hope that it arrives tomorrow and all is well this time!

Gerry

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Norton961 said:

Anyone had a look at the wheels/axle/gear wheel as a precursor to converting to P4? Given the wheels are the same as the 57xx and Ultrascale do a conversion set, will the Ultrascale set fit?

David

Now checked. They have different bearing and gear arrangements, so 57XX drop-in wheels won't work without a significant amount of work. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, PMP said:

I’d return it to the retailer for refund if you’re not happy fixing it.

Already have done - and, given the fact I've dealt with the retailer concerned for a long time, no issues in doing so. Just trying to do 2 things 1) find out if there's a more general issue and 2) warn people to take extra care when handling these. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The real 94xx were a bit of an oddity, a lumpen sort of shape than not many railwaymen liked very much, the general feeling being that the 57xx and 8750 were just as good

Strokes and folks.

As a non-GWR man with a penchant for panniers, I have both a BlueBox 5700 and 8750. But the 94xx leaves me cold.

Actually, it's the tapered boiler. Go figure. 

• Like 1