Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

The rubbish skip had its body re-enforced with a plasticard strip and was then primed and finally sprayed up into its main overall colour of dark Red. I made a start on making a bigger fuel oil storage tank, made from an old sealer tube of 2" diam'  I filled it with some expanding foam to stiffen it, next job is to get the tank ends made from car filler and sanded down to a domed effect.

2019-02-01_20_05_38.jpg

2019-02-03_10_36_27.jpg

2019-02-03_10_36_36.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Cheers Martin, i did something similar elsewhere a while ago using the inverted base of a small salmon paste glass jar. For these ends i just stuck a lump of filler in each end and then sanded it down by hand, it's slow going but i'm in no hurry!

2019-02-04_16_43_02.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

A few more pics' of the building projects, i'll fit some lights inside and glue them in place on the layout this week, then i can add further details and weathering.  Having lengthened the layout by a foot i now had to make an insert for the tunnel mouth. Just one major build to get done and that is the concrete fly-over bridge.

2019-02-09_10_51_29.jpg

2019-02-09_10_52_40.jpg

2019-02-09_10_53_16.jpg

2019-02-09_11_05_29.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Had to get a loco' out today to do some measuring etc. I got the first which was closest which was 25 235 and took a few posed pics' on the fueling road. The natural Sunlight on the layout now it has been moved to its new position under the window helps taking some pics' a lot easier.

2019-02-11_14_27_08.jpg

2019-02-11_14_27_26.jpg

2019-02-11_14_28_46.jpg

2019-02-11_14_29_43.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Cheers and much thanks Chaps! :blush: Whilst i'm still in the mood for it and it was such a nice warmer day i mixed up some grass scatter/flocking material, a lucky rough guess using a 50/50 mix of Javis No3. Autumn mix, with Busch Wildgrass 7371, it made the 'Autumn' dull and dead grass look i wanted, so with the window wide open, and the fresh air blowing in i stuck it down with Hobbycrafts own brand of Matt aerosol spray sealer. Another few bags of scatter are still needed as two were'nt quite enough to cover the whole layout.  This is not the final finished look but it is a good base layer for further landscaping.

The mock concrete flooring on the depot entrance and car park is also now laid and finished, made with the last of  a hard 5mm foam board (old Coffee ad' sign) i had acquired years ago.;)

2019-02-14_13_53_49.jpg

2019-02-14_13_54_42.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Thanks Andrew that means a lot coming from such a great & prolific modeller as your goodself!  With help from my computer literate Daughter i will try to get it all moved into the 7mm section, only after i've done a  bit more on it, and it looks like being far from finished so it could be a while. :rolleyes: It also needs a proper name, and i do have a couple of ideas for it.  Given the two locations it is based on at Springs Branch and the ELR shed area at Castlecroft, Bury, they are Castlebury Springs or Springsbury Croft,  shed codes being either CS or  SC. :rolleyes:  neither codes seem to have been used in my 1976-77 Locoshed book, i prefer the latter as the first sounds like it's set in the Australian outback :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

I was experimenting with some artificial grass yesterday, the Wife has been buying up off large cuts from the boot sales etc. for months now and making up a patchwork quilt of a lawn in our yard!  So we've ended up with loads of weird shaped off-cuts, this one i chose seems to be a real good quality turf and even has underlaying thatch. I got out my best scissors and started to chop away at the 2 inch long Green strands until i reached the artificial thatch,  i roughly cut it down to an height of 10-12mm, i 've made enough patches to cover the areas i need, so later today i'll try and trial fit a few and mount a few pics' It'll take time but with more careful hacking i think i can create differing heights and rougher patches with it.  I'll try owt to save money!  Some before and after pics'

2019-02-18_09_03_52.jpg

2019-02-18_09_11_05.jpg

2019-02-18_09_12_00.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

I decided i like the cut down artificial turf and can further improve on it, so with all the patches cut to size it was stuck down with contact adhesive. I think with taller tufts, clumps & sods and some bare patches cut into it it can be made to look a lot more realistic. 

2019-02-18_09_35_46.jpg

2019-02-18_16_01_44.jpg

2019-02-18_09_39_17.jpg

2019-02-18_09_37_32.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I spent  most of last evening cutting real sleeper wood chunks into 7mm gauge sleeper sizes to make a sleeper built fence i will need. Six inch long chunks of a real sleeper from in the garden were hacked off  with a small axe then split again into smaller & roughly scale width & length pieces based on the Peco plastic sleepers by a Stanley blade. Quite easy to do just by stripping them down the natural grain but i would'nt like try to make any for any smaller scales, not only would it be too fiddly for me but the grain would get out of scale, i can just about get away with it in 7mm i hope.:rolleyes:

2019-02-21_09_50_36.jpg

2019-02-21_10_37_18.jpg

2019-02-21_10_37_25.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

A bit more done this week, I got some timber battens screwed and glued in for the concrete fly-overs main base frame and stuck the sleeper fencing in, and also made a sleeper base for the point lever. I've got plenty of scenic bushes and tree stuff on order to try and finish off some of the Green areas hopefully this coming week.

2019-02-23_09_11_24.jpg

2019-02-23_09_11_41.jpg

2019-02-24_11_00_16.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The concrete bridge beam/span is now built up using softwood battens and 9mm diam' doweling , with the fluted effect in the concrete created using thick picture framing card, it is based on the one at Bury but not an exact copy. Some old pics' i have show it in its natural concrete whilst latest pics' show it has been painted in two colours......so i'll have to think about which is going to have the best effect. :unsure: 

2019-02-25_16_55_38.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I was reading Marc Smiths new layout topic on recycling his layout yesterday and saw he was making a sector plate, something i've yet to sort out or had even thought about yet, so when out at a local B&M bargain store yesterday afternoon i saw this cheap £2.99p shelf, and thought maybe i could do something with it either as a cassette type carrier or use as a pivoting plate. This one is 18 inch long but they had others at 24" and 36" long.  It's just an idea i may use but thought i'd share it, they are solid yet cheap enough, it may be of help to others?

2019-02-28_09_20_34.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cant emphasise how much I like the "filth"  :blush: - looking back at some of my own previous attempts they maybe are just too clinical.

The railway really is a dirty affair especially the 70's and 80's and we shouldnt be afraid of adding the grime.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was a great and yet a totally filthy and dangerous era for the working Man, with great fashions and music and cars we can all now laugh at, with un-buried dead, bins not emptied, power cuts, fuel shortages and a three day working week and the glorious summer of '76. (Its all coming back in fashion soon) A time when 'Men were Men' and anybody wearing safety Gloves, Helmets or Steel Toe-cap Boots were considered to be softer than a block of 'Stork SB margarine' ;) No mini diggers, no powered wheelbarrows and proper bags of cement on the building sites back then... then i wonder why i'm totally fecked up now? :whistle::D Being allowed to walk around Springs branch was always a tricky business with pools of oil and fuel all over the place, plenty of trip hazards, empty barrels and bits of rail everywhere, i remember slipping and my 'Wayfinder' Animal foot print shoes being no grip at all on an oily wooden sleeper and landing A£$& first in a puddle of wet stuff, then sitting at the back of the bus stinking of Diesel all the way home.:lol: I was deffo a product of the era i was born into and brought up in, so the filth is at least one truly prototypical thing on this layout.:) Using real sleepers already gives it a nice creasote smell.....now wheres that  pint of diesel?  As our 'enry would say  "Splash it all over" :) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1