Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

Great model 25's s CME but very fiddly & delicate little parts keep dropping off so i've super glued all the vac' pipes etc back on, in fact everything that comes/falls off has been glued back on! :mosking:  But i'm missing one side grille cover and the transparent headcode box cover, looks like i'm going to have to send an e-mail for some replacements, not that i had them in the first place.  :dontknow: T'was fellow RM member and garden railwayer  44690(Ian) who gave me the pile of old garden mags' so finding your article was fate i reckon :)

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2

Great model 25's s CME but very fiddly & delicate little parts keep dropping off so i've super glued all the vac' pipes etc back on, in fact everything that comes/falls off has been glued back on! :mosking:  But i'm missing one side grille cover and the transparent headcode box cover, looks like i'm going to have to send an e-mail for some replacements, not that i had them in the first place.  :dontknow: T'was fellow RM member and garden railwayer  44690(Ian) who gave me the pile of old garden mags' so finding your article was fate i reckon :)

I'm sure Howes/Heljan will help you out, sorry to hear bits have fallen off, mine was QCd, before collection. There should also be mini snowoughs and spare parts in with the loco?

I always find article writing a challenge, due to lower spectrum dyslexia et al. it's really rewarding to get feedback and to hear that an article has encouraged someone to have a go themselves.

Kind regards,

CME

That's a smart looking job so far. I use humbrol matt black and leather for underframe dirt. I like the 25's and 24's. They're loco's with character. 

Wonder if Heljan will ever make a 24 using the 25 bits as a base? i loved the 24's even though i only saw about half a dozen in the late '70's before they all went, but we still have these two to drool over.

post-31611-0-46814600-1540725197_thumb.jpg

Bet you are sick of seeing this one Ian? lol.

post-31611-0-80041100-1540725279_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-58359600-1540725671_thumb.jpg

CME i'll get in touch with someone about the missing bits this week!  :yes: I always try and use other folks stuff as inspiration and help, i think it's what this forum should be all about, helping each other to get the best out of our hobby and to the best of our abilities.  :friends:

• Like 2

Hi Bob

Check the frost grilles aren't stuck together in the packet, I thought I was missing one as well but they were stuck together and looked like one as they are quite thin.

E

Reading through your thread, Owd Bob, I have to say that although "inspired" by the ELR you have really caught the look of that particular section of the line, especially by adding in those steps from the car park! I used to visit Bury Transport Museum and the embryonic ELR as a child with my father, and you have caught the essence of the shed area in a vastly reduced space. Looking forward to seeing how you move forward with this!

Regards

Steve S

(Bury)

Hi Bob

Check the frost grilles aren't stuck together in the packet, I thought I was missing one as well but they were stuck together and looked like one as they are quite thin.

E

I was about to write the same this morning, I double checked mine and two were in the parts bag, but it looked like one - as they're etched they are commendably thin.

Kind regards,

CME

Thanks to all for the kind words, :)  It's just the one side grille i'm missing, the bigger square mesh one :dontknow: The frost grilles i do have, and i've stuck on with that new 'Gorilla' super glue ...so we'll soon see if it's as good as it says on that telly ad'  :sarcastichand:  Steve S' well spotted the steps are based on the ones on the car park. :friends:  

They do look a lot better in the natural light and not in a dark room and using a crappy camera like these pics' seem to show, i'll have to take them outside on the garden line and do 'em all again :jester: I'm chuffed with my first attempts and i can only build on it and get better i hope. Thanks Jim if you've ever seen my garden rail stuff then you'll know i like the dirty and mucky effect... my memory wants to tell me that all the real stuff seemed to be like that all the time in the '70's.  :mosking:

• 2 months later...

We've just had to have a new boiler and new rads' put in the house by the landlords, so the last few weeks since xmas have been a bit of a tip and a right mess in this house, it did'nt help matters last Tues' when i was rushed into hospital in agony were i stayed for the best part of two days after being later diagnosed as having kidney stones, i've never known pain like it in my life and i pity anybody that has had or will suffer the same probs'

The best thing about the new heating being installed is that i did get them to put the new rad' on the shortest wall hence freeing up the longest wall of the room under the window for this layout. I had started to add another 12 inches to one end last week before i was struck down. Heres the bad pics'. I can now have a 20 inch long fiddle yard at each end as well....20 inch is just enough room for the longest loco'(class 40) to fit on! I've got rid of the two stone arches but used most of the materials to make it more like the real area i've copied off on the ELR at Bury, with the tunnel retaining wall, grassed/tree banking and steps. An office block/storage rooms can now be added to the rear of the shed with room for a few parked cars and the seemingly always seen on depots of the time 'rubbish skip' used as a buffer stop.

post-31611-0-84893900-1548071583_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-26380300-1548071615_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54971500-1548071690_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Alastairq! I'm still in a bit of pain but hopefully it'll get better if i take it easy and keep takin' the tabs' i thought after all the ops' and medical conditions that i've had over the last ten years or so that i'd felt the worst pain ever...but i was so-so wrong, it was really bad in Wigan A&E when i went in, i waited in the corridors on a trolley for 12 hours along with 27 others in pain and agony and the 14 other patients who were kept outside still waiting in the Ambulances they had arrived in  :O  i finally got a bed and got seen at stupid 'o' clock in the morning but i was only in it ten minutes when i got taken out of it and it was given to someone else, just half an hour of waiting and another bed was finally found. Don't get i'll folks its the wrong time of the year i was told. :no: Despite it all many thanks to all the great NHS staff working through it all despite the overloaded pressures of their working conditions. :angel: Crossing my fingers i can get something constructive done on this layout later this week.  :locomotive:

Hello Owd Bob. Firstly, sorry to hear of your health woes. And alastairq.... no one told me about the problems of getting old either!
Well, in fairness, they probably did - but I was young, and didn't think it would ever happen to me, or more likely - I just didn't listen! ;)

Secondly Bob, this layout is looking great. Really impressed by the whole look of it, and it's got an "atmosphere" about it, which isn't always as easy to capture as you might think
Thirdly, yes Mr CME is a helpful chap too, I know, and a good modeller and all-round nice bloke too :)

Keep up the good work Bob - sorry I haven't been on RMweb much of late - but will be back to look at this thread again

Thanks Marc, really nice to see you back i do hope you are well? Both yourself and CME's modelling skills have been great inspirations for me, i recently read CME's latest postings on his planked van and treated myself to one as a late xmas prezzy ....although i did have to rob the gas bill money to get one! I've not had the air brush on this one yet but i'm happy with it so far, but i'm easily pleased, and i think i'm getting addicted to this wagon collecting. Now i want another brake van, or MGR or VAA van! :mosking:

With help from 'Her Indoors' the side of another pasting table was jigsawed off and fitted to the end yesterday.

post-31611-0-73920200-1548154886_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-08097000-1548154920_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-34821300-1548154395_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-13905700-1548154537_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Found this textured paint on offer last week, i've not seen this stuff before and so i thought i'd see if it was ok for making a concrete effect on these fence posts and paneled fencing, i think i can flat it down a bit more with some fine grit paper and paint it over, its come out ok for my level of modelling and not as rough as i thought it might be. It's called 'Rust-oleum Textured' and the colour is 'Desert Bisque'

post-31611-0-35443100-1548677066_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-32411800-1548677090_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-87728900-1548677109_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

From my local B&Q  Hayfield, it was in the bargain bin for a fiver, normally £8.99.  I never looked for any more but i'd say it comes in differing colours. Thanks CME. Been making a new building for the rear of the loco' shed this week,  used thick card and brick paper and etched windows off e-bay. Also had to rough guess the scale and size of a rubbish skip and made a start on an 8ft long one....both should be done and painted up over the weekend.

2019-01-29_14_34_36.jpg

2019-01-30_10_02_16.jpg

2019-02-01_09_54_34.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1