Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

30 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Was a great and yet a totally filthy and dangerous era for the working Man, with great fashions and music and cars we can all now laugh at, with un-buried dead, bins not emptied, power cuts, fuel shortages and a three day working week and the glorious summer of '76. (Its all coming back in fashion soon) A time when 'Men were Men' and anybody wearing safety Gloves, Helmets or Steel Toe-cap Boots were considered to be softer than a block of 'Stork SB margarine' ;) No mini diggers, no powered wheelbarrows and proper bags of cement on the building sites back then... then i wonder why i'm totally fecked up now? :whistle::D Being allowed to walk around Springs branch was always a tricky business with pools of oil and fuel all over the place, plenty of trip hazards, empty barrels and bits of rail everywhere, i remember slipping and my 'Wayfinder' Animal foot print shoes being no grip at all on an oily wooden sleeper and landing A£$& first in a puddle of wet stuff, then sitting at the back of the bus stinking of Diesel all the way home.:lol: I was deffo a product of the era i was born into and brought up in, so the filth is at least one truly prototypical thing on this layout.:) Using real sleepers already gives it a nice creasote smell.....now wheres that  pint of diesel?  As our 'enry would say  "Splash it all over" :) 

........Said with a true dose of Lancashire Grit. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Great stuff! And with those little compasses in the heel. :lol: Think you could only get them at a Clarkes shoe shop? Two filthy oily pics' from SP in about 1980. 40 135, 40 104.

2019-03-01_09_05_33.jpg

2019-03-01_09_06_22.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Sheer Wigan filth - brilliant

(Clarks Commando's Bob)

lol

Ian

Commando's good memory Ian, and with a tread pattern like the Raleigh Grifter tyres! :D And were'nt there some shoes called Trekkers as well?  Its 1973, its dinner time and i'm 'avin' hoops! For mi pudding i'm avin' a 'Walnut Whip' and then sucking a Spangle or two....if i collect 6 wrappers and send them off i could win a new Viva HC :lol:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

A few more jobs got done over this wet & windy weekend.  The Concrete Bridge has had a few coats of primer but it still all needs fixing in place, some grass tuft effects arrived in the post of various colours and lengths so i made a start on a bit of landscaping, sticking it over and in gaps in the artificial turf i laid last week. I'm happy with the effect, but there's still some brambles and tree's to add over this layer! So i have plenty of materials yet to purchase and especially to cover & finish the long back embankment. A length of Plastruct ladder and cage were added to the Loco' shed. A copy of the broken wall at Cecil St. near the real SP depot at Ince was made, a point were drivers and spotters alike would often climb over to get in and out of the depot, the B.R. staff mostly using it as a short cut to use the local corner pie shop. I'm hoping to get a sky back-scene put all along the long back this week, and then i can put up some more brick paper walling and fencing in front of it. 

2019-03-04_10_03_30.jpg

2019-03-04_10_04_12.jpg

2019-03-04_10_05_04.jpg

2019-03-04_10_07_13.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Class! - vegatation  looks the buisiness with the natural lighting Bob - maybe some Dog Crap* on the nearby pavement? - do-able in 7mill.

Easy for us Mid 70's 14 yr olds to get over that broken wall for some Shed bunking.

Ian

*(edit: Watch where your treading with those Wayfinders)

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Easy for us Mid 70's 14 yr olds to get over that broken wall for some Shed bunking.

Ian

*(edit: Watch where your treading with those Wayfinders)

Ian! It was great until someone rebuilt it and put the ankle breaker triangular sharp cappings back on top:rolleyes: ....but then someone chipped a brick out half way up the wall to make a good foothold, and put a spare car wheel and tyre on the inside to stand on. These so called free jumpers or free runners had nowt on us '70's spotters.:lol: There's no chance of seeing owt today when stood in the same place, it's still exactly the same wall but with a 7ft high Galv' fencing built behind it, and with all the wild Tree's that have since grown up you can't even see through the fence gaps. Makes a great barrier for the local houses especially now the new depot is being built.....but no good for any spotters though!;)

• Like 1

I've given the concrete over-bridge a final painting and a light weathering, and i've filled and smoothed out a few low spots in the ballast with cheap gap/crack flexible filler, these will more than likely as not now be places just like the real thing where a bit of Greenery would naturally grow and which i can later add.

2019-03-09_10_39_46.jpg

2019-03-09_10_40_29.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Agree.... but pools of what Alastairq?:D Here's an owd pic' of mine from '78 showing pools of something probably classed as toxic these days and even Grass growing not that far away from it, you really would'nt think it would grow so well amongst such grime and filth. Just shows there's nowt new under the Sun and there's a prototype for everything as far as modelling go's....:)

1-3-2018_030.JPG

• Like 3

On 28/02/2019 at 10:13, Crisis Rail said:

Cant emphasise how much I like the "filth"  :blush: - looking back at some of my own previous attempts they maybe are just too clinical.

The railway really is a dirty affair especially the 70's and 80's and we shouldnt be afraid of adding the grime.

My own thoughts exactly Crisis Rail. Of course, the degree of filth will depend on the location you are modelling too.
But as you observe of your own modelling...... sometimes we can be a bit too clinical. Getting the balance right is the key, and that's not always as easy as it might first seem

Owd Bob has found some magical formula for it though, I'm sure :)
In fact Bob, I don't know how you've done it - but even looking back over your photos I've already seen a few times..... it's looking better all the time to me

PS. I wonder what a Psychologist would make of those of us who enjoy modelling all the filthy, grimy bits of the world?
PPS. Looking back over this comment of mine, is "Degree Of Filth" a great name for a Punk band?
PPPS. I wonder what Psychologists would make of anyone who thinks "Degree of Filth" might be a good name for a band? lol

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

...........Marc as someone who was often sent to unblock sewer pipes on building sites with his bare hands back then....i can't really comment!:crazy: I'll make some pools today.....mostly on my model that is:lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

A few more bits got done this week, a pipeline (20mm Diam' doweling) was put across in front of the bridge held up using three short lengths of a toy Fire Engine ladder from the charity shop, a few more bits of the Green stuff were stuck about. Sorry for the darkish pics' but thats the natural light and bad weather for you this week around here!  I'm really going to have to be very careful now and not over do it with more big features in such a small area and not too much small clutter either, the next big jobs to do are to build the low relief background buildings which will go all along the full length of the back and at the tunnel end!:o These will be based on the real buildings at Bury and will probably stand half a metre high! I'm going to need a lot of windows and brick paper.:blink:

2019-03-15_09_34_04.jpg

2019-03-15_09_35_21.jpg

2019-03-15_09_37_12.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Come on Bob - get some Traction out of the Shed and on the Metals! :D

Ian

I don't want to spoil you now do i;) Plus, do you know how many bits fall off these Heljan loco's every time you get 'em out the boxes? :lol: 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1