A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bleat Wharf. Breakfasts and Backwaters. The continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart.

• RMweb Gold

So you're definitely not going to model the Somerset Ship Canal and have the MV Arkwright mooring up directly alongside Sheep Lane to unload 20,000 gallons of Baby Bio?

Bearing in mind that one of the large waterways in the area is Kings Sedgemoor Drain, one could have lots of fun with bawdy names.

One loco that did end up in the water was SDJR 76 (LMSR 3260), which collided with a ng peat train and ended up in a rhine near Shapwick in 1949. It had to be cut up on the spot. A nice lineside feature!

I am sure you have come across this reference, but just in case, http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/sd-burnham-to-evercreech-junction.html

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have had a potter with Sheep Wharf.

This is a poor photo of what will be the wharf line emerging from between two houses, crossing a road (ungated, red flag job) before entering the wharf area via iron gates. The area will be fenced off from the road by iron railings bordering the pavement.

Still to finalise the wharf offices so the house to the left is placed to gain an impression. Most probably a single storey office will replace this on entering.

Opposite will be Maddocks Engineers and Fettlers housed in the tin buildings.

Getting there....

Rob.

post-14122-0-56408300-1503522933_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for this sort of feel to it.......minus the diseasal, Stubbers.

Though not rail served as such, Maddocks engineers will need to be at rail level.

Further along the wharf itself, I intend to utilise the Bachmann Nissen huts. So all buildings, with the exception of the houses masking the fiddly yard, will be low.

Rob.

post-14122-0-53467400-1503523569.jpg

post-14122-0-78032100-1503523903.jpg

post-14122-0-91930900-1503523942.jpg

post-14122-0-55400300-1503524014.jpeg

• Like 11

Hmm I had Sunday lunch in that pub the other week and drove past it today as well, serves a good pint and its right on the river bank though the new road that now goes through the building to the right of the pub is shockingly busy now

• RMweb Gold

I like the pub.... want one ?

Thanks Stubbers but not sure yet. Once I actuallg get down to track laying I will have a better idea. That's not going to happen for a while yet.

One of my many failings is planning. I don't. The layouts sort of evolve......hence the dithering over placing of the station building on Mutton. Not ideal.

Sheep Lane only had two so the ditherometer was turned right down.

Sheep Wharf however, will have a few.

The plan that's evolving in my woolly head is this.

1940 and Sheep Wharf is a bit ramshackle with not a lot of seaborne trade. The Army arrive and clear some of the buildings and erect a lot of wriggly tin stuff as work shops etc. They leave in 1943 when the Americans arrive.They leave in late 1944, following D-Day.

They leave their mark on the local community with several small boys named Chuck and the staff at the local cinema still chiseling off chewing gum from the carpet long after their departure.

Spin forward to the mid to late 1950s. The area now houses a number of small engineering firms. Rail traffic is sparse but enough to justify a thrice weekly freight disturbing the peace.

Once I get going, it will drop into place..........ish...including a few of these...

Rob.

post-14122-0-18930000-1503628791.jpg

post-14122-0-82890800-1503628802.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have had a potter with Sheep Wharf.

This is a poor photo of what will be the wharf line emerging from between two houses, crossing a road (ungated, red flag job) before entering the wharf area via iron gates. The area will be fenced off from the road by iron railings bordering the pavement.

Still to finalise the wharf offices so the house to the left is placed to gain an impression. Most probably a single storey office will replace this on entering.

Opposite will be Maddocks Engineers and Fettlers housed in the tin buildings.

Getting there....

Rob.

I like this view very much indeed.

• RMweb Premium

These might be an alternative to the RTP Nissen Huts, especially if the RTP ones don't quite fit the space you have, these would be easier to cut down. I've not made any yet, just added them to the ever increasing "they look good, I've got an idea for those" stash.

post-5204-0-83141200-1503651984.jpgpost-5204-0-31651300-1503651985.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

These might be an alternative to the RTP Nissen Huts, especially if the RTP ones don't quite fit the space you have, these would be easier to cut down. I've not made any yet, just added them to the ever increasing "they look good, I've got an idea for those" stash.

attachicon.gifDSC_1078.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1079.JPG

That's our old Scout hut! I will have to get one.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC_1078.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1079.JPG

Cheers Adrian.

That may well be the way I go. Very useful. Ta.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I will knock up a plan......when I have one......

For now, while work continues on Mutton, updates will be in the form of work done to stock and buildings in preparation.

This way, when I do start, things should progress quickly.

I am hoping to have Sheeps Wharf ready around December/January.....ish

For now, here are a few photos, including a corker by Mr H.J.Sutters, father of our own Phil Sutters. I hope these convey what I am trying to achieve.

I will now have to add a 2P into the loco roster. How I have over looked this lovely loco I don't know......and I have a couple tucked away.

Also includes one of Norman strolling around....

Rob

He hears Bells and is being summoned.

Philth

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He hears Bells and is being summoned.

Philth

He prefers a nice glass of Dimple.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all.

There will be no updates from me on Sheep Wharf for the foreseeable future.

My apologies.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I just noticed that you were looking at tin sheds - this one was a subject of much debate in another thread - about which make and model it was. The telegraph pole is in the 'prototype for everything' class.

post-14351-0-96076700-1504849235_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, I thought I would post a couple of photos taken during a further scheming session......I know what I said but I have a acquired a new building and thought I would try it out....

My apologies for the shocking quality of said photos.

Rob

post-14122-0-90274400-1505854610_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-88338000-1505854651_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Well, I thought I would post a couple of photos taken during a further scheming session......I know what I said but I have a acquired a new building and thought I would try it out....

My apologies for the shocking quality of said photos.

Rob

Despite looking from all angles I cannot see any sheep on the wharf !

Is that deliberate?

I.Amback

Edited by bgman