“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

And regardless of location arranger will always give you the back loco= "`cos Control says so !" No shedman so let the fun commence!

Looking good , with track back from edge it does mean lighting on facia will not put a shadow on the main actors.

Subtle use of less is more and detailed building view blockers will help certainly hide off scene - to left I imagine a BG with tail lamp as if puggie waiting road to attach to train in main station.  I wonder if it is in S scale and buildings in Ho you get some forced perspective advantage.

Right exit very hard, Do you move the  Rose curve signal box to your advantage.  Heady thought on presentation do you take the viewer into the box and look across the yard through an open window - the frame would then hide RH exit?

Like the whole project - a favourite location and locos to boot !

Robert    

And regardless of location arranger will always give you the back loco= "`cos Control says so !" No shedman so let the fun commence!

Looking good , with track back from edge it does mean lighting on facia will not put a shadow on the main actors.

Subtle use of less is more and detailed building view blockers will help certainly hide off scene - to left I imagine a BG with tail lamp as if puggie waiting road to attach to train in main station.  I wonder if it is in S scale and buildings in Ho you get some forced perspective advantage.

Right exit very hard, Do you move the  Rose curve signal box to your advantage.  Heady thought on presentation do you take the viewer into the box and look across the yard through an open window - the frame would then hide RH exit?

Like the whole project - a favourite location and locos to boot !

Robert

It's interesting you mention shadowing.

My intention here is to use ground level lighting to supplement the main lighting. It will be mounted on the back of the front presentation frame.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's interesting you mention shadowing.

My intention here is to use ground level lighting to supplement the main lighting. It will be mounted on the back of the front presentation frame.

Only problem I have with shadows on Fryers (which is lit by strips of LEDs along the top of a front mounted fascia) is where the track comes very close to the front of the board.  Check the LED strips as the spec gives an angle which their light will cover.  Ground level lighting sounds like a good way of dealing with this, look forward to seeing how it works.  I've also considered adding a strip of lights at the back, along the top of the backscene on mine, possibly using a cool white there and a warm white at the front.  The possibilities are endless!

I'm going to make a few building mock-ups today, the purpose of which is to see how it all fits and if we're getting the right 'feel' of the place.

First up is the shed with the 'wash road' in it (the one with the blue sliding doors and large red and white striped circle in the middle)

post-8734-0-94809700-1504342463_thumb.png

Note the non-central door.

Those sheds will look very impressive.

Can I ask, if the right hand end shed wall disappears into the backscene (hidden by the fuel tanks) will you be able to disguise the roofline/backscene junction? Presumably it continues into the backscene as a photo/painted? I'm intrigued as I had not considered how to effectively model a long shed roof continuing into the backscene at a shallow angle (ie disguising from an angled 3d model into a 2d backscene).

I have no doubt the end result will be spot on though!

Martyn.

Those sheds will look very impressive.

Can I ask, if the right hand end shed wall disappears into the backscene (hidden by the fuel tanks) will you be able to disguise the roofline/backscene junction? Presumably it continues into the backscene as a photo/painted? I'm intrigued as I had not considered how to effectively model a long shed roof continuing into the backscene at a shallow angle (ie disguising from an angled 3d model into a 2d backscene).

I have no doubt the end result will be spot on though!

Martyn.

Yes good question and I'm hoping this mock-up will give some answers.

As I see it I have two choices, taper the roofs into back-scene as you say and I agree I'm not sure how that will look. Perhaps making the sky and the roof colour similar may help.

Alternatively I could model the full depth of the roof and hang the sky further back. We use a vinyl material on Black Country Blues that just rolls up. 

Lots to think about.

• Like 1

Won't the line of coaches be 'behind' the fiddle yard though so all your fiddling will be done in front of it

?

I'll have to model the track in front of the big shed to carry on the scene. The actual fidde yard will be beyond the end of the coaches. Luckily it does need to be very long - I only intend using loco cartridges.

It just means the fiddle yard will now need to be a bit longer.

Ah, right, gotcha.

With the line of stabled engines outside the shed and that row of coaches hiding platform 4 distracting people from the fact that nothing is entering or leaving the station, could you 'move' the signal gantry that used to be a bit further out closer to the platform ends and use that a scenic break?

Ah, right, gotcha.

With the line of stabled engines outside the shed and that row of coaches hiding platform 4 distracting people from the fact that nothing is entering or leaving the station, could you 'move' the signal gantry that used to be a bit further out closer to the platform ends and use that a scenic break?

I feel some scope creep coming on. I've also now thought about modelling the back of the signal box. I may be able to have the breakdown crane or the snow ploughs in the position of the coaches - all of which would 'place' the scene even more...