Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Gold

All I need to do now is work out how to get the light to ripple from one end of the layout to another so that I can recreate the classic summer weather where a thunder storm rolls across an otherwise sunny day.  :jester:

Just get a glitter ball.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Remember the old electric  fireplaces with  flickering lights, a small fan like assembly was just above the heat source and rotated using the heat.  something like that would work... just need an old incandescent lamp.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to get some peripheral jobs finished.  The wardrobes are now painted inside and have shelving.

In one I have simply restored the original shelf with hanging rail below after cutting out sections to fit around the new boxed in areas.

2128767426_wardrobe_B4_shelving1.JPG.70c38a4cced66a1b3c5c9a77bf8f0f2c.JPG

In the other I have made some simple shelves from melamine covered chipboard in order to make best use of the new area under the stairs.  I have some hanging rail somewhere and will put two rails in to the right of the new central shelves as soon as I find it.  It is probably in the garage loft space but there is so much stuff up there at the moment I can't see it.  It'll turn up eventually.

654785003_wardrobe_B3_shelving_a1.JPG.672809498ef79dcec404b8269761c1f1.JPG1226754287_wardrobe_B3_shelving_a1.JPG.653facaa55bbe371eba34e47a692ca25.JPG1292293443_wardrobe_B3_shelving_b1.JPG.0f3219ef7b8b9a7b3269a3144b9ede36.JPG

Look, I never said this would be an exciting thread.  :no:

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Another milestone.

The third and final coat of emulsion is now drying.  There may be the odd bit of touching up required once it is all dry but it looks OK so far.

1992903861_emulsioned_11.JPG.8ceb53b6dcaedd061fb24a2b33c43cab.JPG413857168_emulsioned_21.JPG.0be8410cdef9716020df529d6e42a4d9.JPG

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The next item on the list is the central lighting, the materials for which are lying on the floor in the photos above (LED ribbon and strips of MDF with a coat of emulsion on both sides to seal them).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Second fix complete.  :danced:

Light switches and power sockets are fitted.

Light fittings are in too.  As mentioned previously, I have opted for an LED strip for the main room lighting.  This is operated via a 3-gang switch near the top of the stairs which also operates the stair lights (LED downlighters) and four 5A round pin sockets along the side walls giving a centrally switched plug-in lighting circuit (layout lighting, eventually).

Smoke alarm: just a case of connecting a three-core and earth cable (fitted prior to installing the insulation) running from the first floor alarm to an additional smoke alarm on the loft ceiling which provides power and interlinks the alarms.  

I have also fitted a battery powered CO alarm.

Here are a couple of photos of the central ceiling light.  It is a bright sunny day here but the LEDs still show up clearly and should be sufficiently bright for general room lighting.

1828581801_ceiling_light_off1.JPG.c2f03c141c95a823c1c4ca85345e9589.JPG1885007292_ceiling_light_on1.JPG.0e28d27511fe7527b6fb988466dfc9d8.JPG

The ceiling light cover panel is fixed with brad nails, tapped home and filled, and is made from four panels of 9mm MDF with the joints also filled.  I need to give the filler time to harden before sanding down.  The down side of lighting so close to the surface of the ceiling is that it highlights imperfections, so I will lightly rub down the curve of the ceiling too.  Then a little more emulsion and we should be done.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Testing.

Part P of the Building Regulations requires new electrical work to be certified.  Since I am not a qualified electrician it is now time to bring one in to inspect my work and conduct a thorough test and provide a certificate, a copy of which I will email to Building Control.  Another alternative would have been to pay an additional fee (£140 I think it was) when engaging Building Control at the start.

This is a straightforward process but takes time as fittings need to be unscrewed one at a time to visually and physically check cabling is correct and then to poke about with probes whilst the test equipment runs through its automated routine to ensure circuits are correctly completed and that the cut outs back at the consumer unit trip when they should.

This should be sorted before the end of July.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

stair case,,

one flight a landing 

post-7650-0-04698100-1529958540_thumb.jpg

then another flight.. just put in where it was supposed to go in 1926 but wasn't

post-7650-0-63947000-1529958764_thumb.jpg

complete with window

post-7650-0-45981700-1529958673_thumb.jpg

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

stair case,,

one flight a landing 

attachicon.giffirst flight of stairs - Copy (853x1280).jpg

then another flight.. just put in where it was supposed to go in 1926 but wasn't

attachicon.giftop flight of stairs - Copy (1280x853).jpg

complete with window

attachicon.giftop landing window (853x1280) (2).jpg

Baz

Are you up to the same thing then Baz?  Those are photos of a new staircase up to the loft/attic?

I particularly like the addition of a window.  You can't beat natural light.  Not just for simply being able to see things but for the general atmosphere of a space.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Are you up to the same thing then Baz?  Those are photos of a new staircase up to the loft/attic?

I particularly like the addition of a window.  You can't beat natural light.  Not just for simply being able to see things but for the general atmosphere of a space.

Had the conversion done 4 years ago. May be about to start the railway to fit the railway room shortly.

The window replaced a small window. It gives the staircase a lot of light.

Mind you her indoors took up some railway space with an en suite!

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Had the conversion done 4 years ago. May be about to start the railway to fit the railway room shortly.

The window replaced a small window. It gives the staircase a lot of light.

Mind you her indoors took up some railway space with an en suite!

Baz

Harbour scene?  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

You'll have fun getting a 4x2 baseboard down those :)

Straight over the top banister and down the well looks favourite.

"so Charlie and me 'ad anuvver cup o' tea an' then we went 'ome".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Straight over the top banister and down the well looks favourite.

"so Charlie and me 'ad anuvver cup o' tea an' then we went 'ome".

I said to Charlie, "We'll just have to leave it

Standing on the landing, that's all

You see the trouble with Fred is, he's too hasty

You'll never get nowhere if you're too hasty."